Mec Question

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
poorcountrypreacher

Mec Question

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 12th, 2017, 8:47 am

I've been using Hornady type equipment since my dad bought a Honey Bair loader back in the 60s. I recently bought some reloading stuff from a guy who had inherited it, and a Mec Sizemaster was included. I finally set it up yesterday and have loaded a couple of boxes of dove loads. It's different going clockwise with the shell, but I would say it's a better loader than what I've been using. I'm just having one problem I haven't figured out, and I suspect someone here can help.

The part that guides the wad into the hull is in the center of this pic.

This is how it looks after I have dropped the powder, and the guide has gone to the top of it's stroke. I am having to bump it down in order to insert the wad. Is that what is intended, or should it be loose enough that it drops down on its own? It's touching the main spring and that seems to be keeping it up. Thanks for any help.

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mec Question

Post by vaturkey » August 12th, 2017, 9:49 am

Tommy Duliba could easily answer that question . He is SHOOTER on this site . :thumbup:

RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion » August 12th, 2017, 10:00 am

Mine moves up and down with the loading arm. It looks like it is just friction against the spring that causes the movement and this is by design, I think. Check that the dovetail on the back side of the wad feed is as far down in the slot that it can go. Also, make sure that the rammer tube isn't further down than it needs to be for the pressure on the wad you want. Some loads are more of a tight squeeze than others. Short wad cushions with deep shot cups are going to be the tightest fit. Most of the time I need to bring the wad at an angle from the side.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » August 12th, 2017, 11:08 am

On my MEC 600jr 20ga and 12ga, I have to bump the wad guide down

Jamey

Post by Jamey » August 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm

I've never bumped the guide down. I just roll the wad onto the ram by tilting it and rolling it in and up.
ImageImage

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » August 12th, 2017, 1:19 pm

If the machine is working properly, when you pull the handle down, the wad guide comes down to the hull. Then you slide the charge bar to drop the powder. when you let the handle back up, the wad guide should stay down so you can put the wad in easily. Then you slide the charge bar back to drop the shot. When you let the handle back up again, the wad guide should come back up.
Simple.
If it is not doing this, you have something stuck or something.

There is a small, dogleg finger that is bolted to the charge bar that releases the wad guide, or blocks it.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 12th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Shooter, mine is not functioning correctly according to your description. The main spring has enough tension on the wad guide that it is pulling it back up on the up stroke. This pic shows the contact:

The pressure on the guide is not a lot, but the guide is so light that it doesn't take much to move it. Some sort of very good lubricant might solve it, but I doubt it. I may have to do like Turkinator and just get in the habit of bumping it down. It requires very little effort, but it does add an extra step. Plus, I like for my stuff to function correctly. My OCD is pretty bad. 😀

Here is the slot at the top of the guide that limits how far it can move. It looks to me like everything is working right, except that the main spring is pulling the guide up.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 12th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Shooter, another question - what causes the guide on your machine to stay down on the first upstroke so that you can insert the wad, but then return to the up position on the 2nd upstroke? I don't understand how it can do that. I probably need to add that I changed my loader to the adjustable bar and that could be part of the issue.

On every loader I've used before, the wad guide was fixed and I had to turn the wad sideways when I inserted it. This will be a better system if I can get the guide to stay down.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » August 12th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Looks like you are missing the black metal dogleg piece that blocks the vertical bar the wad guide is on.
I'll take a pic of it when I'm in the loading shop again.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 12th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Is this the dogleg piece?

The directions with the adjustable charge bar said to not use it; that it was only there for beginners. And the screw they supplied is not long enough to accommodate it, and the old one is also too short.

It looks like if I buy a longer screw and install it, that might correct the problem. Thanks to all for the help; I think this has to be the issue. I am not real impressed with the adjustable charge bar.

RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion » August 12th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Yeah, that's the Pro Check. Does exactly what Tommy said. Some people take them off and some of the older presses didn't come with them.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm

The Pro Check was the problem. Actually, the directions that came with the adjustable charge bar were the problem. They said it was unnecessary and to remove it, but it's essential for the press to work properly. They also said their supplied screw was too short, so I never checked it. I just gave it a try and it's plenty long.

The Pro Check is an example of some good engineering. Since I'd never used a Mec, I didn't know how it was supposed to work. I couldn't even envision it's actual function. I just loaded a few shells with it working correctly, and this press is a considerable upgrade from anything I've used before. Thanks to all for the help.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 13th, 2017, 11:56 am

Another question about the Mec - have any of you attempted to load TSS waterfowl loads with a Mec? The adjustable charge bar has an insert that is for steel; I'm wondering if it would work with #8 tss. I've always loaded my tss turkey loads by hand, and that means weighing everything instead of measuring.

I will always do my turkey loads by hand, but it would sure save a lot of time if I could load the duck loads on the loader. Hal gave me an excellent one ounce load that's very low pressure. A little inconsistency from the loader really wouldn't hurt anything; the pressure could double and the load would still be within SAAMI specs.

I've got a duck hunt scheduled in OK in December. As expensive as the hunt is, I'm gonna use the best shells. Thanks for any ideas.

derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob » August 13th, 2017, 1:03 pm

I have always weighed my TSS and HW13 loads but I would think you should be able to get 1 oz TSS #8 loads to drop close enough.
Foxpro Field Staff

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » August 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Both of the Mecs I've loaded on have had to have that guide snapped down from day one, it's the way it's supposed to be.

Edit to add: Both are really old, so maybe the guide falling on the up stroke is an option on newer Mecs.

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit » August 16th, 2017, 7:09 am

every MEC I have (about 6 or 7 who can keep count) look like that. I tilt the wad and slide it up onto the setting tube, then it is ready to push down into the hull. That is when it will go thru the wad guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkdIQTxj8U

Most if not all mine have two different spots that the wad guide can be located in. There are two snap ring groves on the guide rod.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 18th, 2017, 9:00 am

Reloader wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Both of the Mecs I've loaded on have had to have that guide snapped down from day one, it's the way it's supposed to be.

Edit to add: Both are really old, so maybe the guide falling on the up stroke is an option on newer Mecs.
Reloader, the Pro Check completely solves the problem. It's a really smart design and I don't have to bump the guide down or tilt the wad to insert it. I thought the press that I bought was pretty old, but if yours doesn't have the Pro Check, then maybe mine is newer than I thought.

I've heard many folks say that Mec makes the best shotgun press, but I never thought it would be significantly better than the ones I've used. I was wrong. I can load twice as fast with the Mec and the shells are much more consistent.

The adjustable charge bar is a good idea, but it's poorly made. The frame of it is pot metal and a stud broke off during the initial assembly. I had to drill a hole and use a sheet metal screw to repair it before ever using it. I doubt it's gonna hold together long. I didn't get any bushings with the press and I thought this bar would be better than having to buy a bunch of powder bushings. It should work better for loading tss; I'll report on it if anyone is interested.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » August 18th, 2017, 1:54 pm

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 9:00 am
Reloader wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Reloader, the Pro Check completely solves the problem. It's a really smart design and I don't have to bump the guide down or tilt the wad to insert it. I thought the press that I bought was pretty old, but if yours doesn't have the Pro Check, then maybe mine is newer than I thought.

I've heard many folks say that Mec makes the best shotgun press, but I never thought it would be significantly better than the ones I've used. I was wrong. I can load twice as fast with the Mec and the shells are much more consistent.

The adjustable charge bar is a good idea, but it's poorly made. The frame of it is pot metal and a stud broke off during the initial assembly. I had to drill a hole and use a sheet metal screw to repair it before ever using it. I doubt it's gonna hold together long. I didn't get any bushings with the press and I thought this bar would be better than having to buy a bunch of powder bushings. It should work better for loading tss; I'll report on it if anyone is interested.
Yes please do follow up on this, I am curious how accurately it will throw a charge of powder and shot.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » August 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm

The powder bushings throw a pretty consistent charge, but when dealing with TSS for shot, there is quite a deviation.
I did a charge after charge, after charge test awhile back, doing the 1 5/8oz load. 711grns is what I was shooting for.
I was getting anywhere from 695 to 730. An ounce load, I wouldn't be concerned at all. But when your doing the heavier loads, and close to red line, just
not close enough for my taste.
I did use the adjustable bar with the rubber insert also. I wouldn't trust the solid metal one. Any steel or Tungsten will scratch it to pieces.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 19th, 2017, 9:30 am

Shooter wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm
The powder bushings throw a pretty consistent charge, but when dealing with TSS for shot, there is quite a deviation.
I did a charge after charge, after charge test awhile back, doing the 1 5/8oz load. 711grns is what I was shooting for.
I was getting anywhere from 695 to 730. An ounce load, I wouldn't be concerned at all. But when your doing the heavier loads, and close to red line, just
not close enough for my taste.
I did use the adjustable bar with the rubber insert also. I wouldn't trust the solid metal one. Any steel or Tungsten will scratch it to pieces.
Great info, Shooter. I set up the press yesterday and it took a while to adjust it to get one ounce of shot. There was no chart for tungsten, so I had to just guess on the initial setting. I'm getting from .985 to 1.008, and that was on about 20 test drops. I certainly wouldn't use it for turkey loads, but as you said, it should be fine for the duck loads. I'm loading for my uncle too, so I plan to load 3 boxes. I've loaded a few test loads, and I'm about to get started on the project.

Preparing the wads is gonna be the most time consuming step, but once I've done that it should go fast.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 19th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I loaded the first box of duck loads and had no problems. I just test fired one from my SBE at 40 yds and am including a pic. My gun shot a 70/30 pattern which is what I like for wing shooting, but it put 85% inside the 30" circle. It also is denser on the left side, but I suspect that will vary from shot to shot.

I'm thinking the pattern is too tight for decoying ducks, but really have no experience on evaluating duck patterns. Any duck hunters got comments?

Gonna cost about $65 a box, but I notice commercial Hevishot loads are over $40. This is for a one time duck hunt, so I'm not too concerned about the cost of the shells. I would like to be able to hit something; I'm thinking I might need to try a skeet choke.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”