Need help getting started loading tss

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Kasey

Need help getting started loading tss

Post by Kasey » August 5th, 2017, 11:12 am

Just ordered some #9 and want to load some turkey loads for the 20ga but I have never done it so help please. I would also like to get some bigger shot and do some coyote loads out of the 12 gage.

poorcountrypreacher

Re: Need help getting started loading tss

Post by poorcountrypreacher » August 5th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Traditionally, the seller of the shot has provided the buyer with recipes that have been lab tested. The use of tss for turkeys has been common for only about a decade, and the early suppliers of the shot have been the people who made tss popular. So where did you buy your shot is the first question. There have been some new sellers recently who apparently don't provide recipes, and they can be hard to come by. Most of the suppliers ask their customers to not give out their recipes, as that's obviously an important part of the way they make a little money.

If you have a recipe you wanna use, and just need help understanding, then I would suggest that you simply go to the handloaders forum and start reading. Everything you need to know is right there. Good luck!

Kasey

Post by Kasey » August 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

I got the apex tss

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro » August 5th, 2017, 12:47 pm

When I was new, I ordered a few reloading manuals and did a lot of searching on this website. Then you need the equipment and components to the load you will use. You can get by with an inexpensive set up, or spend more. There are recipies out there for you to follow, just search this site and you will be fine. The wealth of information on this site alone should be enough for you to get going. If you want someone to hold your hand, find a local loader. I am sure they would be helpful in showing. There is also some great tutorials on the site somewhere that show the step by step process of loading a new primed hull with tss and roll crimpming

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » August 5th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Kasey wrote:
August 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm
I got the apex tss
I am sure there's a few on here that can help you. I also know Apex will give you recipes for what your needing.

I seen they are developing varmint loads and have a feller shooting prototype loads on coyotes.

Bigger shot can be bought from them too I reckon.

Kasey

Post by Kasey » August 5th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Just looking for mainly what you guys are telling me. Just kinda a direction to get started. Thank you

Jamey

Post by Jamey » August 5th, 2017, 6:50 pm

This would be a good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6949&hilit=pictorial
ImageImage

Kasey

Post by Kasey » August 5th, 2017, 7:48 pm

That's one of the first things I looked at. I have Lynmans 5th edition handbook. Trying to soak up as much as I can

RemingtonRules

Post by RemingtonRules » August 6th, 2017, 7:34 pm

You probably need to be more specific with your questions than just saying help. You do need to proceed cautiously because you are dealing with explosives and projectiles that are not far from your face. A lot of how to videos are posted on here and good threads to read. That is where I started. i also bought my shot from someone that was willing to help me with specific questions and loads.

Kasey

Post by Kasey » August 6th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Apex gave me the number of a guy to call

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”