Roll Crimping Issues

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Ozark Ridge Runner

Roll Crimping Issues

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 3rd, 2017, 1:06 pm

As unlikely as it seems, I am having some trouble with the GAEP roll crimper. You would think with as simple tool as it is, there wouldn't be anything that could cause problems. I'm no virgin to machine work and have chambered a couple hundred centerfire rifle barrels so I am a hands on kind of guy. To lay the ground work for some discussion I have a GAEP OTP 12 gauge crimper that I ordered from APEX Ammo. I'm running my drill press at 700 RPM and starting with 1/4 inch of hull above the OSC. I let the crimper turn for several seconds to generate a bit of heat and then use firm pressure to attempt to roll the hull into contact with the OSC. The problem is that the hull will not make a 180 degree turn and advance to the OSC. It stops after forming the hull mouth into a "?," as opposed to an inverted U, and if any further pressure is used it simply crushes the sidewall of the hull.
Looking at the working area of the crimper it is difficult to see how the hull would form anything else other than the "?" as the hull runs into a near right angle corner at the base of the center section that contacts the OSC. Anyone ever see this before? I'm starting to think this one may be defective since it doesn't seem to want to form the hull mouth correctly. Any of you veteran rollers have any insight for a newb TSSer?

turkeyinstrut

Re: Roll Crimping Issues

Post by turkeyinstrut » August 3rd, 2017, 2:30 pm

try leaving 3/16" above the OSC and then try one.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 3rd, 2017, 4:12 pm

I tried a 3/16 depth and it yielded the same thing. Not enough roll over to get down the the OSC. It doesn't seem to be able to make the U turn with the hull mouth. It goes so far and stops. Any further pressure and I end up with an accordion. :D

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro » August 3rd, 2017, 5:03 pm

Contact apex and trade it out. They should take care of you. I have geap, four sets, they work.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 3rd, 2017, 7:42 pm

It may come down to that but I'm not a hundred percent sure that I'm not the culprit in the deal. We'll see if anyone else has any insight into the situation first. Thanks

Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood » August 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

Some of your problems appear similar to my experiences a few years ago. I offer this list of tips/suggestions:

1. Your GAEP roll crimper is brand new so... try sacrificing a handful of new hulls to "season" the inside of the roll crimper toolhead

2. Pre-heat the inside of the toolhead with a hair dryer OR allowing the head to friction heat by setting the toolhead on a hull and placing some pressure on the hull for 30-60 seconds

3. INCREASE the spin speed on the chuck and crimper installed. I spoke with Charles from GAEP and he informed me that 700RPM is too slow. Charles suggested a minimum drill press chuck speed of 900-1000 RPM. Bumping my chuck speed up to 1,100 RPM made a world of difference for my roll crimps. Try it (this made all the difference for me).

4. LIGHTLY oil the edge of the hull to be roll crimped with a Q-Tip with a thinner oil saturating the cotton head on the Q-Tip. I use WeaponShield gun oil for my roll crimpers but any quality gun oil will probably be fine. Use the same oil-containing Q-Tip and push it into the spinning roll crimper toolhead and oil the rolling groove.

5. Use a hull trimmer and remove the skived portion of the top of the new hull to be reloaded. My general experience is better roll crimping with no skiving on the hull mouth

6. Make certain that your drill press table is truly level and perpendicular to the chuck. Getting out-of-square between the roll crimper and the hull mouth can cause issues

7. Make sure your trimmed hull is an even cut all the way around (I use the GAEP hull trimmer in order to ensure an even trim).

Good rolling and ask away if you have any particular questions.

-Slopster
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on August 4th, 2017, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude."- General Colin Powell, Ret.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 3rd, 2017, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. It will give me a few different things to have a go at. I suspect the issue is with my technique rather than the tool. I'll give those suggestions a try and report back.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 3rd, 2017, 11:56 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup: Those things roll like butter!! It looks like the RPM was the magic medicine. I moved up to 1100 RPM and they rolled slicker than owl poop. That really is surprising that there would be THAT MUCH difference in the performance with a small change like that. Hopefully anyone having difficulties roll crimping can benefit from my experience and your advice. Thanks for the help.

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » August 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

Good going Sloppy!

Helping a brother out

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 4th, 2017, 8:39 am

hoobilly wrote:
August 4th, 2017, 7:25 am
Good going Sloppy!

Helping a brother out
Careful, we wouldn't want him to get a big head or anything..... :LMAO:

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » August 4th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Ozark Ridge Runner wrote:
August 4th, 2017, 8:39 am
hoobilly wrote:
August 4th, 2017, 7:25 am
Good going Sloppy!

Helping a brother out
Careful, we wouldn't want him to get a big head or anything..... :LMAO:
Too late! :LMAO:

Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner » August 4th, 2017, 1:37 pm

So I guess this brings up the question as to how the old hand operated roll crimpers work. They obviously don't turn anywhere near 1000 RPM. They must have a different radius in the crimp head ??? or is it something else. A friend of mine has one on display that he has never used and I have never taken time to really look it over.

Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood » August 7th, 2017, 8:31 am

Just a photo shot of my 20 gauge TSS load in a 3" Fiocchi hull roll-crimped down with a GAEP 20 gauge OTP steel roll crimper.

Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on August 7th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude."- General Colin Powell, Ret.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » August 7th, 2017, 8:36 am

Ozark Ridge Runner wrote:
August 4th, 2017, 1:37 pm
So I guess this brings up the question as to how the old hand operated roll crimpers work. They obviously don't turn anywhere near 1000 RPM. They must have a different radius in the crimp head ??? or is it something else. A friend of mine has one on display that he has never used and I have never taken time to really look it over.
They work great

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”