Anyone else see this on Facebook?

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Anyone else see this on Facebook?

Post by GLS » August 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Okay, George, let's talk economics again. If you want to save money, buy a frozen, plucked butterball. There is nothing cost effective about hunting unless you are putting a moose in the freezer that you shot in your backyard with the only gun you have, or better yet, one you borrowed from a neighbor. If you want to have fun and a great way of life, get off your wallet, and spend what's in it. ;) Gil

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » August 2nd, 2017, 7:25 pm

GLS wrote:
August 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm
Okay, George, let's talk economics again. If you want to save money, buy a frozen, plucked butterball. There is nothing cost effective about hunting unless you are putting a moose in the freezer that you shot in your backyard with the only gun you have, or better yet, one you borrowed from a neighbor. If you want to have fun and a great way of life, get off your wallet, and spend what's in it. ;) Gil
:LMAO: :LMAO:

I hear "its only money" eh NCMike!?

HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 » August 2nd, 2017, 8:51 pm

GLS wrote:Okay, George, let's talk economics again. If you want to save money, buy a frozen, plucked butterball. There is nothing cost effective about hunting unless you are putting a moose in the freezer that you shot in your backyard with the only gun you have, or better yet, one you borrowed from a neighbor. If you want to have fun and a great way of life, get off your wallet, and spend what's in it. ;) Gil
LMBO

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

2Shooter

Post by 2Shooter » August 2nd, 2017, 9:58 pm

HookedSpur83 wrote:
August 2nd, 2017, 8:51 pm
GLS wrote:Okay, George, let's talk economics again. If you want to save money, buy a frozen, plucked butterball. There is nothing cost effective about hunting unless you are putting a moose in the freezer that you shot in your backyard with the only gun you have, or better yet, one you borrowed from a neighbor. If you want to have fun and a great way of life, get off your wallet, and spend what's in it. ;) Gil
LMBO

:stir: :LMAO: :turkeywave: :thumbup: :thumbup:

SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN » August 2nd, 2017, 11:49 pm

HunterGKS wrote:
August 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am
I don't know anything about reloading so these may seem like dumb questions to those of you who do but:

1. How many shells can you make with a pound of #9 TSS.
2. How much is the total cost per shell?
There's 16 oz in a lb. Just divide. 16oz divide by what ever oz load you want to load. For example say you want to load 2oz 12ga loads. 16oz in a lb divide 2oz loads would be 8 2oz loads in a lb.

To turn fractions into decimals just divide top number by bottom number. For example 1 5/8oz 20 ga load is 5 divide 8 equals .625. So 1 5/8oz in decimal is 1.625oz then you can divide that by 16oz in a lb. 1 lb of shot will do 9 full 1 5/8oz 20ga loads. Just a little shy of 10 loads.

Didn't mean to explain it so elementary.

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS » August 3rd, 2017, 6:58 am

GLS wrote:
Okay, Gil, Let's talk economics. It has nothing to do with saving money. It has everything to do with spending money in the most effective way that makes me happy & provides a lot of fun. To set up correctly for reloading, you are looking at at least $500 & that doesn't included all the shell components needed. That $500+ equates to about 17 boxes of the 5 count shells I use which equates to 17+ years of hunting. I can use that $500+ for things that I consider fun & bring me a lot of happiness. Things like buying gifts for my 2 great-nieces & 3-great-nephews, buying things for the people I hunt with out of state & who provide me a camp & places to hunt, buying stuff for said camps, making trips to spend time with friends, & a myriad of other things that are important to me & what I consider fun & make my way of life more than great. For me to set up to load shells, for me personally, is a waste of money. I do applaud & understand why others partake, it's just not for me.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » August 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am

HunterGKS wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 6:58 am
GLS wrote:
Okay, Gil, Let's talk economics. It has nothing to do with saving money. It has everything to do with spending money in the most effective way that makes me happy & provides a lot of fun. To set up correctly for reloading, you are looking at at least $500 & that doesn't included all the shell components needed. That $500+ equates to about 17 boxes of the 5 count shells I use which equates to 17+ years of hunting. I can use that $500+ for things that I consider fun & bring me a lot of happiness. Things like buying gifts for my 2 great-nieces & 3-great-nephews, buying things for the people I hunt with out of state & who provide me a camp & places to hunt, buying stuff for said camps, making trips to spend time with friends, & a myriad of other things that are important to me & what I consider fun & make my way of life more than great. For me to set up to load shells, for me personally, is a waste of money. I do applaud & understand why others partake, it's just not for me.
You won't have no ways near't 500.00 in equipment to load TSS, not much over 100.00 really.

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS » August 3rd, 2017, 7:13 am

SpitNDrumN wrote:
August 2nd, 2017, 11:49 pm
HunterGKS wrote:
August 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am
I don't know anything about reloading so these may seem like dumb questions to those of you who do but:

1. How many shells can you make with a pound of #9 TSS.
2. How much is the total cost per shell?
There's 16 oz in a lb. Just divide. 16oz divide by what ever oz load you want to load. For example say you want to load 2oz 12ga loads. 16oz in a lb divide 2oz loads would be 8 2oz loads in a lb.

To turn fractions into decimals just divide top number by bottom number. For example 1 5/8oz 20 ga load is 5 divide 8 equals .625. So 1 5/8oz in decimal is 1.625oz then you can divide that by 16oz in a lb. 1 lb of shot will do 9 full 1 5/8oz 20ga loads. Just a little shy of 10 loads.

Didn't mean to explain it so elementary.
I do know how to do that math. I should have included the word "average" to encompass all the various load weights.
George

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler » August 3rd, 2017, 10:05 am

George, Do you want me to send you a couple TSS shells to try?

I laughed in the face and ridiculed these TSS nerds for years. I wonder how dead can dead be. I call my birds in close don't need it. :LMAO:

Then Tommy gave me a couple shells. Now I'm addicted ! I feel like I don't have all my gear if I hunt without it. I hate my dealer. I drive to Nashville every year to score some TSS.
:turkeywave:

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS » August 3rd, 2017, 10:46 am

Gobbler wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:05 am
George, Do you want me to send you a couple TSS shells to try?

I laughed in the face and ridiculed these TSS nerds for years. I wonder how dead can dead be. I call my birds in close don't need it. :LMAO:

Then Tommy gave me a couple shells. Now I'm addicted ! I feel like I don't have all my gear if I hunt without it. I hate my dealer. I drive to Nashville every year to score some TSS.
Thx Doug, I appreciate the offer but will have to turn down your generosity. :thumbup: I'm 1 of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guys. For example, I hunted many years with an 1100 shooting Rem 2 3/4" 4x6s (still my back-up when I travel). I then upgraded to an 11-87 & 3" 4x6s for many more years. About 8-9 years ago, I changed to Fed 3" HW 7s & have killed birds from 12 yds to almost 70 yds, once by accident once cuz I was pizzed at the bird. The vast majority of my birds are killed at 25 yards or closer. I personally don't see the need for TSS when the HWs kill em just as dead. That statement is for me personally & not intended for anyone else.

The way I look at it is that everyone should use what works for them & what they like. For the TSS shooters, that is the greatest shot for THEM. For ME, the HW are the bestest. :wav:
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho » August 3rd, 2017, 11:02 am

Gobbler wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:05 am
He tried to get me hooked too :lol: I'm one of the few, if not the only one who killed a few with TSS and then went back to what I was shooting before. :D

I will admit, it killed them dead!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » August 3rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

As long as we can distinguish value from price, economics isn't important. I don't think any of us can put a dollar price on the enjoyment of turkey hunting and its collateral hobbies of guns and ammo (loading or buying). Turkey hunting to me has high value.
Let me price for all of you what it would cost to get into handloading and reloading .410 the way I now prefer to do it. In many .410 guns, a TSS load out shoots the old lead 12 gauge loads at 40 yards in the 10" ring.
Primers: 100 at $6.00
TPS wads: 200 at $15.29
Powder 1 lb. (over 500 loads) $22.00
Mylar 100 sheets at $6.00
OSC 500 at $6.00
TSS 1 lb. at $38.00
Without splitting costs ( or adding shipping costs) and buying the minimum order, that's $98.00 in expendables for 19 shells with the 13/16 oz. load.
Compare that with Nitro Ammo's Hevi-Shot .410 load of 25 at $128.00. The only component in the above list necessary to reload up to a 100 rounds is more shot.
I didn't include hulls in the above. My single-shot Yildiz ($129 NIB) does best with brass hulls which are $72 for 20 shells.
The handloading kit which includes everything one needs to reload is $45.00 for a total hardware cost of $117.00. No one needs 20 brass hulls for turkey hunting. These could be split between several folks to reduce the cost proportionally.
For $215.25 you can get set up reloading .410 the way I do it. You will never wear out brass hulls which are reloaded over 3,000 times apiece in 12 gauge cowboy action shooting according to Rocky Mountain Cartridge, my source for hulls and reloading kit. Initial set-up costs can be reduced by buying primed plastic hulls and a crimping head. Or you can spend $87 less for a box of shells from Nitro Ammo's Hevi-shot load.

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS » August 3rd, 2017, 4:02 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am
HunterGKS wrote:
GLS wrote:
You won't have no ways near't 500.00 in equipment to load TSS, not much over 100.00 really.
When I take on an endeavor like this would be, I don't scrimp & get about the best I can as safety is always a prime concern & cheap isn't always the safest. Just like the equipment I bought for processing deer. The good stuff ain't cheap.

MEC Reloader includes 1 Charge Bar & 3 Powder Bushings = $238
George

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur » August 3rd, 2017, 4:09 pm

You Know , I had a real good black and white TV one time ,worked great ,it wasn't broke or nothing . Then I saw a color TV and
thought ,you know I really don't need it but I sure do want it AND I bought me one ,,, WOW sure is a difference , and I think I'm worth it so I'm keeping it ... :toothy7:

HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 » August 3rd, 2017, 4:11 pm

hookedspur wrote:You Know , I had a real good black and white TV one time ,worked great ,it wasn't broke or nothing . Then I saw a color TV and
thought ,you know I really don't need it but I sure do want it AND I bought me one ,,, WOW sure is a difference , and I think I'm worth it so I'm keeping it ... :toothy7:
Lol

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS » August 3rd, 2017, 4:16 pm

To be clear, I don't use Nitro's, never have, never will. I use Federal Heavy Weight 3" 12 ga. #7 in boxes of 5. The last case I bought was on sale plus I got a
discount & the cost was right at $20 per box.
George

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » August 3rd, 2017, 4:38 pm

Part of the reason I wrote about loading the .410 is that there isn't anything out there with the potential of 40 yard reliability that TSS possesses. There is no other "good enough, dead is dead" at 40 yards. Gil

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » August 3rd, 2017, 4:39 pm

HunterGKS wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 4:02 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 7:11 am
HunterGKS wrote:

When I take on an endeavor like this would be, I don't scrimp & get about the best I can as safety is always a prime concern & cheap isn't always the safest. Just like the equipment I bought for processing deer. The good stuff ain't cheap.

MEC Reloader includes 1 Charge Bar & 3 Powder Bushings = $238
That Mec reloader won't do you a bit of good loading TSS, but you will need a 30.00 set of scales and a 27.00 roll crimper.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”