Video: Live time patterning distance verification & results.

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
SpitNDrumN

Video: Live time patterning distance verification & results.

Post by SpitNDrumN » July 14th, 2017, 7:43 am

YouTube link to the video below.

I have heard some statements directly and some through the grapevine questioning if my patterns with this gun, choke, and TSS were 40 yards. I simply wanted to make this video of verifying the distance, shooting the pattern, and analyzing the results. The most recent statment was not rude just the gentlemen was is disbelief that the the pattern he saw had only 21 pellets on paper outside the 20". I did not do pellet counts. Just a 10 and 20 circles and I counted how many pellets that hit outside the 20" on the pattern in the video which was only 24 pellets outside the 20". One thing that was directly stated was that my pattern was a 25 yard pattern and that gentleman can see this pattern in the video that if it would have been shoot at 25 yards it would have been a baseball hole with some spray around it.

Yes it is a hot pattern. But this video is not about that. It's simply a verification of the distance and the type of pattern it patterns at 40 yards with this particular .660" constriction with TSS.

https://youtu.be/sMZLhkgzz_4
Last edited by SpitNDrumN on July 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampchicken

Re: Video: Apex 3" 2.25oz #9's 40 yards Win 1300 .660 IC

Post by swampchicken » July 14th, 2017, 8:22 am

Nice 1300 I have had mine since 1988 I think, always like the laminated stock on them. Mine is set up with a leupold 2-7 x 33 and I use the IC .660 also.

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » July 15th, 2017, 6:48 am

I know you acknowledged that the IC .660 has a hot core, but that is waaaay too tight for a hunting pattern IMO. Yes, the 10" numbers are spectacular, but the 10-20 is very weak. That pattern is optimized for 60 yd shooting.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » July 15th, 2017, 9:53 am

Spuriosity wrote:I know you acknowledged that the IC .660 has a hot core, but that is waaaay too tight for a hunting pattern IMO. Yes, the 10" numbers are spectacular, but the 10-20 is very weak. That pattern is optimized for 60 yd shooting.
Gotta agree. If I were gonna shoot that load and say up front I was limiting shots to 40, I'd try a modified choke and have a big wide kill pattern at 40. But I'm an old man and need room for error. Aiming error is far more likely for me than misjudging the distance. I limit my shots to 50 yds and I'm pretty confident in my ability to determine what 50 yards looks like. I am not confident in my ability to hold the gun perfectly steady when having to shoot free hand.

SpitNDrumN

Video: Apex 3" 2.25oz #9's 40 yards Win 1300 .660 IC Range

Post by SpitNDrumN » July 15th, 2017, 11:31 am

Spuriosity wrote:I know you acknowledged that the IC .660 has a hot core, but that is waaaay too tight for a hunting pattern IMO. Yes, the 10" numbers are spectacular, but the 10-20 is very weak. That pattern is optimized for 60 yd shooting.
Yes sir, and I'm not disputing that. The video wasn't made for that reason tho. I stated it was a hot core in advance because I knew someone would bring it up. No worries that you did. I'll explain. I made this video with the .660IC because it is the choke that was in the gun and patterns shot with when my patterns were questioned from time to time over the last year or so. Some things were said on occasions that they wasn't 40 yard patterns. Some of the yardages that were stated that some felt like the patterns were shot at ranges that I heard were anywhere from 25-35 yards. And also if some people was speaking up from time to time then it's a given that some people was thinking the same thing.

I simply made the video for verification of the set up and distance at which the patterns was patterned at. So for anyone with doubts can see the distance is verified, pattern shot, and pattern analyzed live time on film. I apologize for my video work there in the middle of the video fighting the tripod it is very cheap.

The internet is big and everyone is different and there is always going to be all kinds of opinions. I wanted to make this video to show for past and future patterning that my integrity was made clear and my point was proven in the video. I shouldn't have even had to make this video and I really didn't have to. Because a 25 yard pattern out of this set up is a baseball size hole in the paper with spray around it. I have much better things to do than fudge pattern distances. I could have used that time to be working on load development or spending time with my family. I have never cheated myself on ranges. If I say it's x distances then it's x distance via a range finder. Cheating yourself is simply that just cheating yourself. You can not get better at what you do, help others, or others help you if you are not honest with yourself and the results.

This whole thing is very elementary but if anyone ever has any doubts I'm sure someone somewhere could direct them to this video. Further more to add to this there is more people than myself that have used and use that range that could speak for me and that range set up. But they would be biased individuals as they are friends of mine.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » July 15th, 2017, 12:33 pm

I'm sorry I commented; I had no idea that you were having to prove a point here. I've used tss for 9 seasons and had no doubt your loads could shoot patterns like that.

I wish you the best with your business and I'm glad to see we finally have a commercial loader. I've already referred some customers to you; now I don't have to load their shells. :)

SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN » July 15th, 2017, 2:41 pm

poorcountrypreacher wrote:I'm sorry I commented; I had no idea that you were having to prove a point here. I've used tss for 9 seasons and had no doubt your loads could shoot patterns like that.

I wish you the best with your business and I'm glad to see we finally have a commercial loader. I've already referred some customers to you; now I don't have to load their shells. :)
Thank you Sir! Ah one less thing you have to worry about!

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Video: Live time patterning distance verification & results.

Post by Spuriosity » July 16th, 2017, 7:42 am

No worries here either. I am not one who would have questioned your pattern distance because your TSS pattern was tight. We see it all the time. In reality, it is easier to shoot a hot core with TSS than it is to get nice even 20" coverage. Those of us that have been loading and shooting TSS for 10 years deal with newbies every year that are only interested in seeing how many they can get in a 10" circle, and that is a recipe for heartache. Being a new mfg of TSS loads, by definition, you are dealing with newbies every day. Just wanted to point out that what you showed is not a pattern to be emulated by someone new to TSS. May I might offer one tip? If you will make a template like you have for drawing the 10 and 20" circles out of plexiglas, it will be a lot easier to see where the center of your pattern lies. Good luck to you in your new endeavor. I 'm sure you will do well.

trap4fur

Re: Video: Live time patterning distance verification & results.

Post by trap4fur » August 20th, 2017, 10:07 am

It's a shame you have to go thru all that because some people have to start rumors

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”