Mixing Buffer into Pellets

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Spurred

Mixing Buffer into Pellets

Post by Spurred » June 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am

What do you all recommend as the best method for mixing down the buffer into your shot?

I currently use an electric shaver and place it along the side of the shell to vibrate/mix the buffer down into the pellets, but I've found that far too many of my shells seem to get a fair amount of buffer between the inside of the wad and mylar. In some cases I've found the mylar will actually then begin to work it's way up the wad, and I'll have to push it down and hope that it reseats at the correct depth. My concern/frustration is that the shot is then contained in an area that is smaller in diameter than the wad, due to a consistent gap of buffer gets lodged between the wad and mylar wrap. Maybe this is normal, or maybe I'm just an idiot (certainly not denying the latter to have high probability), but I try to really take my time and pay attention to this part of the process. If I'm loading 10 shells, inevitably 5 of them will have more buffer between the mylar and the wad than I would like to see, and it's always during the electric shaver vibrating process.

Any tips that don't include placing your thumb over the end of the shell and shaking the buffer down would be greatly appreciated.

turkeyinstrut

Re: Mixing Buffer into Pellets

Post by turkeyinstrut » June 22nd, 2017, 10:12 am

I use a cheap battery operated tooth brush (about 2.00 at Family Dollar) to vibrate it down, I dump about 1/3 of the buffer in and vibrate until most is out of sight then another 1/3 and vibrate and then the last 1/3 and vibrate. I do all the vibrating around the side of the hull near the bottom of the wad, I think there is a fine line between too much vibration and not enough when it comes to what you are using to do your vibrating with.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe » June 22nd, 2017, 10:13 am

Not sure what load but Mylar before felt. Keeps Mylar in wad.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Spurred

Post by Spurred » June 22nd, 2017, 10:26 am

Johndoe wrote:Not sure what load but Mylar before felt. Keeps Mylar in wad.
2 oz. 12 gauge load without felt. I see what you're saying and why that works. Thanks for the thought though, JD.

Spurred

Post by Spurred » June 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am

turkeyinstrut wrote:I use a cheap battery operated tooth brush (about 2.00 at Family Dollar) to vibrate it down, I dump about 1/3 of the buffer in and vibrate until most is out of sight then another 1/3 and vibrate and then the last 1/3 and vibrate. I do all the vibrating around the side of the hull near the bottom of the wad, I think there is a fine line between too much vibration and not enough when it comes to what you are using to do your vibrating with.
I thought of a phased approach, but my concern is that by the time I finish mixing the last third of buffer, the first round of buffer would be laying at the bottom of the wad with the pellets on top of it. Is that not the case?

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » June 22nd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Spurred wrote:
turkeyinstrut wrote:I use a cheap battery operated tooth brush (about 2.00 at Family Dollar) to vibrate it down, I dump about 1/3 of the buffer in and vibrate until most is out of sight then another 1/3 and vibrate and then the last 1/3 and vibrate. I do all the vibrating around the side of the hull near the bottom of the wad, I think there is a fine line between too much vibration and not enough when it comes to what you are using to do your vibrating with.
I thought of a phased approach, but my concern is that by the time I finish mixing the last third of buffer, the first round of buffer would be laying at the bottom of the wad with the pellets on top of it. Is that not the case?
By doing it in 1/3rds the buffer disappears real quick into the shot and I have learned if I dump all the buffer at once it takes so long to vibrate it down that by the time I start to see pellets the buffer is already under the shot and the load has started to raise in the wad. I took a wad and put all the components in it (Felt, Mylar) then wrapped it with 2" wide clear packing tape then I filled the wad with the correct amount of shot and started experimenting with it and that is how I came up with the 1/3 vibrate, 1/3 vibrate, 1/3 vibrate method. You could try the same method of experimenting and see what works best for you.

Spurred

Post by Spurred » June 22nd, 2017, 12:32 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:
Spurred wrote:
By doing it in 1/3rds the buffer disappears real quick into the shot and I have learned if I dump all the buffer at once it takes so long to vibrate it down that by the time I start to see pellets the buffer is already under the shot and the load has started to raise in the wad. I took a wad and put all the components in it (Felt, Mylar) then wrapped it with 2" wide clear packing tape then I filled the wad with the correct amount of shot and started experimenting with it and that is how I came up with the 1/3 vibrate, 1/3 vibrate, 1/3 vibrate method. You could try the same method of experimenting and see what works best for you.
I really appreciate your reply and how you validated your process. I will test this and let you know my results.

Another method I saw and was curious about was the dental vibrador. Has anyone here tried that?

Swampchickin234

Post by Swampchickin234 » June 22nd, 2017, 1:25 pm

I use an palm hand sander or a set of whale hair clippers. I place the primer end of the shell brass on a flat spot of the clippers and it works great. But then again, I think almost every load I have and load uses felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur » June 22nd, 2017, 1:30 pm

I use the dental vibrator and have no problem with any of my loads , except with my 28 ga load ,the mylar will rise in it even with two felts in it.

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy » June 22nd, 2017, 1:56 pm

killerstump told me he uses the man in the drawer. :o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » June 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

Does anybody have any idea what kind of vibrating device the guy uses in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp7_CNcIAZE&t=3s

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur » June 22nd, 2017, 2:14 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:Does anybody have any idea what kind of vibrating device the guy uses in this video?

Same one I use ,Dental Vibrator ,mine came from EBay bout 60.00 or so.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » June 22nd, 2017, 2:26 pm

hookedspur wrote:
turkeyinstrut wrote:Does anybody have any idea what kind of vibrating device the guy uses in this video?

I gotta be have'n me one of them!!!!!

bullethead

Post by bullethead » June 22nd, 2017, 9:27 pm

I turn on my metallic cartridge case cleaner and hold the hull on top of it.
It quickly settles the buffer and when the shot starts to peek through it take it off.
You can easily do 25 rounds in a few minutes.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.

turkeyinstrut

Post by turkeyinstrut » June 22nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

bullethead wrote:I turn on my metallic cartridge case cleaner and hold the hull on top of it.
It quickly settles the buffer and when the shot starts to peek through it take it off.
I've tried that before, I would put my finger between the tumbler and the hull so it wasn't so radical.

2Shooter

Post by 2Shooter » June 23rd, 2017, 6:05 am

hookedspur wrote:

I use this one also. There is one on ebay for $46.20 now.

alabamabowman

Post by alabamabowman » June 23rd, 2017, 9:04 am

I use a dental vibrator as well. However, I took block of wood and drilled it so it will hold 15 shells. I then place the block on top of the dental vibrator and can settle buffer in all 15 shells at once. I pour all buffer in at one time before I start to vibrate. Occasionally one shell will finish first, so I pull that one out and continue with the rest. This has worked well for me and is faster than doing one at a time. My patterns are still good and consistent so it give me the confidence that the buffer is evenly settled.

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo » June 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am

In a load with an extreme about of buffer, I have mixed the two together, before I poured them into the wad, and then finish it up by vibrating it to settle it just a bit.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!

bullethead

Post by bullethead » June 23rd, 2017, 9:47 am

turkeyinstrut wrote:
bullethead wrote:I turn on my metallic cartridge case cleaner and hold the hull on top of it.
I've tried that before, I would put my finger between the tumbler and the hull so it wasn't so radical.
Yes, i admit that I also do that to get slow it down a bit when the pellets just stsrt popping through.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.

willie

Post by willie » June 23rd, 2017, 10:49 am

when u fold the mylar try not to kink it and yes it does vibrate up sometimes but i just push it back down.packing shot helps this problem.

willie

Post by willie » June 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am

grumpy the man in the drawer i have uses a 12 volt car battery so it is a lot of trouble to get hooked up.

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » June 23rd, 2017, 11:45 am

I use a palm held back massager that has a flat round surface that orbits. It runs on two AAs and is pretty light. That thing has vibrated buffer on no telling how many shells. I've found the best way to get loads completely settled is by vibrating slowly from the case head bottom(primer area) after a lot of experimenting.

Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns » June 23rd, 2017, 1:41 pm

I've been taking my middle finger tip and placing it under the brass end over the cap and my thumb over the open end and shake it til the shot starts showing. Idk if that's the "right way" to do it, but it seems to work aight for me.

poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher » June 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm

Hooksnhorns wrote:I've been taking my middle finger tip and placing it under the brass end over the cap and my thumb over the open end and shake it til the shot starts showing. Idk if that's the "right way" to do it, but it seems to work aight for me.
That's the way I do it. May not be best way, but it's quick and has produced a bunch of dead turkeys.

swampchicken

Post by swampchicken » June 23rd, 2017, 8:21 pm

alabamabowman wrote:I use a dental vibrator as well. However, I took block of wood and drilled it so it will hold 15 shells. I then place the block on top of the dental vibrator and can settle buffer in all 15 shells at once. I pour all buffer in at one time before I start to vibrate. Occasionally one shell will finish first, so I pull that one out and continue with the rest. This has worked well for me and is faster than doing one at a time. My patterns are still good and consistent so it give me the confidence that the buffer is evenly settled.

That's a pretty slick idea I may have to try that.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”