Can't find felt? Here's an option.....

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Can't find felt? Here's an option.....

Post by Reloader » April 20th, 2017, 12:43 pm

It seems many post here about not being able to find felt since it sells so quickly at various vendors. The old fix for the 28ga 1/8" felt was to just find expensive 54 cal 1/8" un-lubed wads, but even those dry up quickly around turkey season, so many times guys are just left with no solution at all. Well, there is an option and the best part is it's cheaper than even the felts that PR pr BPI sell. There's a company called Durofelt that produces felt of all sorts and they also produce hard felt that is specifically designed as wad felt. For example, if you wanted 1/8" felt, You'd select FM18H for 1/8" wad felt. You can get a 12" x54" roll for $29 delivered. So what am I supposed to do with a big sheet of felt? Simple, you buy either a wad punch or a leather punch of the proper cutting diameter(Say 9/16" for 28ga). I have a set of leather punches that was only about $10 shipped from ebay. You can produce your felts by whacking the punch with a mallet over a nylon or hardwood block or take the easy route and chuck that bad boy in a drill press(the cheap punches will have to be turned in a lathe to fit in the chuck of small presses).

$40 and a man can have 1600-2000 or so 28ga 1/8" felts etc.

http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Have a good one,

loder

turkey_slayer

Re: Can't find felt? Here's an option.....

Post by turkey_slayer » April 20th, 2017, 2:09 pm

That's what I did with cork. I just punch out what I need. Buy a punch set and no more having to order for certain gauges

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hunterjoe37

Post by hunterjoe37 » April 21st, 2017, 8:00 am

turkey_slayer wrote:That's what I did with cork. I just punch out what I need. Buy a punch set and no more having to order for certain gauges

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Yep, I had to do the same thing with cork myself! Ordered a roll off Amazon for 6$. Punched it with a socket. Fit perfectly after I found the right size socket. Gonna buy or build a punch similar to a leather punch sometime soon.

HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 » April 21st, 2017, 8:04 am

Felt is always available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby!

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » April 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm

HarleyRiders97 wrote:Felt is always available at Walmart and Hobby Lobby!
And is it the proper density?

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”