Wad Splitter - UPDATED 6/6

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
Spurtaker

Re: Wad Splitter

Post by Spurtaker » February 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm

I'd like one for a CSD.

yella yelper

Post by yella yelper » February 16th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Jbird22 wrote:
yella yelper wrote:Would this work on the CSD 3" 20ga wad?
Not sure. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to TSS. I could make you one for it if you'd send me a wad to get dimensions off of though.
Pm me your address and I'll send you one or I can measure what you need with micrometer

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 16th, 2017, 11:06 pm

yella yelper sent me the necessary dimensions so looks like I'll be able to make them for the folks who use the CSD's as well.

mrlongbeard

Post by mrlongbeard » February 17th, 2017, 6:53 am

Awesome Tool Man
PM sent

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 17th, 2017, 9:58 am

All PM's have been replied to. Gotta admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at the response. I'll get these made a fast as possible guys just be patient with me.

Andy S.

Post by Andy S. » February 17th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Great concept, thanks for sharing with us. PM sent for one of each ($22 package).
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wad Splitter - UPDATED - Please read!

Post by Turkinator » February 23rd, 2017, 2:23 pm

Got mine today, It works great!!!

yella yelper

Post by yella yelper » February 23rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

I just ran to my mailbox like a kid and walked back dejected. Maybe tomorrow!

GALongbeardSmacker

Q

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » February 23rd, 2017, 3:46 pm

Question about the one with the spacer. It looks like the slits go all the way to the bottom and the spacer goes into the wad and not under it.

The way I thought it would work would be for the entire tube to be longer, and the spacer would go under the wad for full length slits, and no spacer for half length slits.

In the future I think it makes it a lot easier if you don't have to move the spacer to each wad and just leave it in the bottom of the tube, making one less step in the process. If you can send me one like that instead that would be nice. If not, no worries.

bowhunter2k9

Post by bowhunter2k9 » February 23rd, 2017, 5:21 pm

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:Question about the one with the spacer. It looks like the slits go all the way to the bottom and the spacer goes into the wad and not under it.

The way I thought it would work would be for the entire tube to be longer, and the spacer would go under the wad for full length slits, and no spacer for half length slits.

In the future I think it makes it a lot easier if you don't have to move the spacer to each wad and just leave it in the bottom of the tube, making one less step in the process. If you can send me one like that instead that would be nice. If not, no worries.
I assumed the same. Definitely would be easier

RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion » February 23rd, 2017, 6:04 pm

Instead of a spacer, why not just a second set of half length slits rotated 45 degrees to the full length set?

bowhunter2k9

Post by bowhunter2k9 » February 23rd, 2017, 6:50 pm

RapscallionVermilion wrote:Instead of a spacer, why not just a second set of half length slits rotated 45 degrees to the full length set?
Winner!!!^^

Jbird22

Re: Q

Post by Jbird22 » February 23rd, 2017, 7:27 pm

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:Question about the one with the spacer. It looks like the slits go all the way to the bottom and the spacer goes into the wad and not under it.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. Yes, the spacer does go in the wad. If you put a spacer under the wad, that raises the wad itself up and the bottom of the slits (the bottom out for the blade) is too low at that point for the half slit depth. The spacer inside the wad was the only way I could make a consistent 1/2 slit bottom while using the same 1/8" off the bottom jig. :dontknow:

GALongbeardSmacker, disregard ^^^. Lightbulb just turned on. I know just what you're talking about. My mistake was trying to modify the 1/8" model to accommodate the 1/2 slits. I should've modified the 1/2 slit model to accommodate the 1/8" slits. It's an easy fix, just wish I'd have realized it sooner. I will get that remedied. For those who ordered the ones with spacers (I have a record of orders btw...lol) I will gladly replace them if you're not satisfied. :thumbup:
Last edited by Jbird22 on February 23rd, 2017, 8:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 23rd, 2017, 7:29 pm

RapscallionVermilion wrote:Instead of a spacer, why not just a second set of half length slits rotated 45 degrees to the full length set?
If you're talking about adding 4 more slits for a total of 8 I'd say it would make the fingers too brittle and more susceptible to breaking IMHO.
Last edited by Jbird22 on February 23rd, 2017, 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 23rd, 2017, 7:31 pm

yella yelper wrote:I just ran to my mailbox like a kid and walked back dejected. Maybe tomorrow!
Yours went out with the first ones on Tuesday. Its expected delivery date was said to be tomorrow but all the ones I mailed that day said the same thing. You should definitely get it tomorrow I'd think.

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 23rd, 2017, 8:38 pm

Turkinator wrote:Got mine today, It works great!!!
Thanks!

GALongbeardSmacker

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » February 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

No big deal, both ways work. Yeah it would basically need to be taller and the bottom of the slits would end mid way on the wad without the spacer. If you sent mine already it's fine.

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 23rd, 2017, 10:10 pm

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:No big deal, both ways work. Yeah it would basically need to be taller and the bottom of the slits would end mid way on the wad without the spacer. If you sent mine already it's fine.
It did go out yesterday but my offer stands.

taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 » February 24th, 2017, 9:08 am

Got mine in the mail yesterday and tried it out last night. Works great!

Thanks so much!

01Foreman400

Wad Splitter - UPDATED - Please read!

Post by 01Foreman400 » February 24th, 2017, 10:24 am

Works great and makes perfect cuts. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 » February 24th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Glad y'all like em fellas! :thumbup:

01Foreman400, that type of blade (minus the knife itself) is exactly what I designed the jig for. The slots are .040 wide and the blade is .025 wide.

BTW, everyone has probably noticed by now that the jig itself is .75 taller than the the wad. I designed it that way because the height of the blades I use (Stanley 100 pack utility blades) are .75 tall. That makes it where the blade is level with the top of the jig when you place the blade in the jig on top of the wad. It should make starting/maintaining a straight cut pretty simple. :thumbleft:

2Shooter

Post by 2Shooter » February 27th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Got mine today, and it works awesome!!! :thumbup:

Thanks,
Steve

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » February 28th, 2017, 3:24 pm

The slit jig works great. Thanks.

Tip:

I found after only slitting a few wads that the cuts were getting a touch deeper because the blade was digging into the plastic. 3/4" EMT is a perfect slip fit. 1/2" Sch40 PVC is as well, but I went EMT for longevity. In my case it ended up being exactly 7/16" tall, but I'd measure your own jig before cutting to be sure.

The metal collar just protects the jig. You can also use the VP90 jig with a taller collar to slit CSD wads.

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » February 28th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Another tip: I found that the slightly thinner snap razor gives a much easier slit, is easier to remove, and I have better control than a utility blade:

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » March 3rd, 2017, 11:56 pm

Well I'll be danged!!! I knew this sucker would work, but I didn't figger it would work as well as it does!!
Did a couple dozen this afternoon, with my new Stanley Fat Max box cutter. WOW,... big difference than before!!
Thanks for coming up with this! :thumbup:

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”