GAEP Roll Crimp Bits

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
VALongbeard

GAEP Roll Crimp Bits

Post by VALongbeard » February 15th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Guys,
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the GAEP roll crimp bits for my TSS handloading. I am going to purchase the OTP style in a 20ga, 28ga, and .410 bore. They are including the adapter to attach it to a drill press. I have a few questions. I have been using the BPI bit for a few years, and while the crimps are functional, they are not pretty at all. I know this really doesn't matter, but I prefer the shells to look nice, and from what I have seen from a few of you on this board that use the GAEP bits, they look awesome. The bits are pricey, 150 for all three plus shipping, but they will last me forever.
My questions are:
1. How much hull above the overshot card (1/4", 3/16"...)? I have been leaving 1/4" above for mine with the BPI bit
2. Do you lube the tool with anything? If so, what are you using?
3. Can you show me some pics of 20, 28, and 410 crimps done with these tools? I am especially interested in the .410 pics, because they seem to be the hardest to get a nice looking crimp.

Thanks for any help and input guys! I really appreciate it.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: GAEP Roll Crimp Bits

Post by pedro » February 15th, 2017, 7:41 pm

1/4" above osc
Gun oil applied with cotton swab every 25 shells
Attachments
IMG_1616.JPG

Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander » February 15th, 2017, 7:56 pm

In this pic you will see a BPI crimper to far left, then 3 GAEP crimpers in 10,12, and 20 ga. Note the diameter of the stem on the BPI crimper is about .250, whereas the GAEP crimpers are about .375 and much bigger. In some drill presses with a small chuck the GAEP stem is too large to fit in the chuck. To solve this, I took one stem to a machinist friend and he milled it down to .250 thousandths. The larger GAEP stem will fit in a standard handheld drill no problem. note that one stem will screw into all of the GAEP heads so you can get by with one stem for multiple gauges, but I ordered a stem for each gauge in case I want to sell one gauge in the future.
Attachments
GAEP.JPG

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » February 15th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, Pedro, those are awesome looking crimps, especially the .410. Very impressed!

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Just started rolling last year,and can't wait to do it again :thumbup: :thumbup:

2Shooter

Post by 2Shooter » February 15th, 2017, 11:41 pm

1/4" above OSC also. I take a Q-tip lightly oiled with gun oil, and swap around the top of every shell where it will be rolled. This is .410's and 28ga.
Attachments
IMG_1254.PNG
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1254.PNG

01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 » February 16th, 2017, 5:09 am

Here a comparison between the Gaep (left) and BPI.

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader » February 16th, 2017, 5:26 pm

The turkeys never seem to care what the crimp looks like :D

I'm thinking of getting a GAEP to see if it will crimp square every time. I square my osc with a proper size dowel, but I get a few crimps in every batch that are canted a bit with the BPI bits even though clamped in a vise and crimped w/ a drill press. They shoot the same and look just fine to me, but the slight cant at times bothers me(just being anal).

Here's some BPI bit crimps I just did last week:

ccleroy

Post by ccleroy » February 16th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Just so I'm clear, we're just looking at the crimp aesthetics not function correct?

01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 » February 16th, 2017, 7:44 pm

ccleroy wrote:Just so I'm clear, we're just looking at the crimp aesthetics not function correct?
Yes.

Spurtaker

Post by Spurtaker » February 17th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I'd like to get buy the GAEP crimpers also. Who carries them in the US? I looked on website and it seem to be in the UK and I haven't seen who is a supplier for them.

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday » February 17th, 2017, 3:27 pm

There isn't one. Order from UK (from Charles at Gaep). Delivered from Italy
Last edited by DocHolliday on February 17th, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » February 17th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Anyone that wants to order the gaep roll crimping bits, email Charles at GAEP. Email is gaep61@gmail.com
He is very quick to respond and awesome to deal with on the ordering process.

tommythreetoes

Post by tommythreetoes » February 17th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Anybody ever attemp to roll with the #4 gaep finishing tool from start to finish? I have the chance to buy one but I don't know if it will roll a hull nicely from start to finish. Anybody have some input here? Thanks

Edit: one more question. Could I use a different crimp die (BP, PR) to roll it, then the gaep #4 to finish it??

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » February 17th, 2017, 11:08 pm

tommythreetoes wrote:Anybody ever attemp to roll with the #4 gaep finishing tool from start to finish? I have the chance to buy one but I don't know if it will roll a hull nicely from start to finish. Anybody have some input here? Thanks

Edit: one more question. Could I use a different crimp die (BP, PR) to roll it, then the gaep #4 to finish it??
I use the 20ga finisher on my fold crimps. I don't know if it's needed or used with roll crimps

aeasley10

Post by aeasley10 » February 17th, 2017, 11:51 pm

What is the difference in a roll crimp and a finisher? Would I need both to start hand loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator » February 18th, 2017, 8:13 am

aeasley10 wrote:What is the difference in a roll crimp and a finisher? Would I need both to start hand loading

From what I gather, if you are roll crimping, you don't need the finishing tool. It is used for fold crimps. And it really makes them look and function great.

aeasley10

Post by aeasley10 » February 18th, 2017, 9:09 am

Turkinator wrote:
aeasley10 wrote:What is the difference in a roll crimp and a finisher? Would I need both to start hand loading

From what I gather, if you are roll crimping, you don't need the finishing tool. It is used for fold crimps. And it really makes them look and function great.
thanks man

Hey I'd like to buy your vintage crimper if still for sale, but I can't even access the classifieds at all, no idea why.

Sent u a PM. I'd like to see a pic of the crimper.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » February 19th, 2017, 3:14 pm

tommythreetoes wrote:Anybody ever attemp to roll with the #4 gaep finishing tool from start to finish? I have the chance to buy one but I don't know if it will roll a hull nicely from start to finish. Anybody have some input here? Thanks

If you roll them with the PR tool you will probably not be able to tell the difference from the Gaep. The PR and the BP are as different as night and day.
ImageImage

aeasley10

Post by aeasley10 » February 21st, 2017, 2:32 pm

2Shooter wrote:1/4" above OSC also. I take a Q-tip lightly oiled with gun oil, and swap around the top of every shell where it will be rolled. This is .410's and 28ga.
What roll crimp are u using?

2Shooter

Post by 2Shooter » February 21st, 2017, 7:19 pm

aeasley10 wrote:
2Shooter wrote:1/4" above OSC also. I take a Q-tip lightly oiled with gun oil, and swap around the top of every shell where it will be rolled. This is .410's and 28ga.
What roll crimp are u using?

All of mine are done with a GAEP crimper!!! :thumbup:

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter » February 21st, 2017, 7:57 pm

Jamey wrote:

If you roll them with the PR tool you will probably not be able to tell the difference from the Gaep. The PR and the BP are as different as night and day.
This is so true!!! I could not believe the difference. Won't be buying any more BP crimpers.

msu33

Post by msu33 » February 23rd, 2017, 11:45 am

Shooter wrote:
Jamey wrote:

This is so true!!! I could not believe the difference. Won't be buying any more BP crimpers.

So, no need to get the GAEP's just roll with the PR's. I am not real happy with my BP crimpers.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”