My new sxs

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My new sxs

Post by pedro »

http://m.cerakoteguncoatings.com/galler ... mor-Black/

20ga cz bobwhite. They did the barrels, mounted the base and sight, and drilled my sling studs in.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My new sxs

Post by GLS »

Pete, nice looking job getting rid of the black chromed finish. What led you to decide on where you placed FF3? Are both barrels hitting close to same POA? Gil
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

:thumbup:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Very Nice
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

You are now a member of one of the world's most exclusive clubs - those who own a 20 gauge sxs turkey gun with a FF sight on it. I was first, so I am President; you can be Vice-President. :D

Good luck with it, and may both barrels shoot to the same spot!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

They shoot real close with some target loads, but have not run any tss yet. The sight was mounted there because that is where the taper of the rib went level. Points nice. Could very easily take it and wing shoot, since the sight is forward mounted when mounted the dot is floating in my whole field of view. It feels more like pointing than looking down/through a sight.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Boy I like that. A lot. That's a sweet little scattergun, should be a joy to tote around. Congrats!
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Sweet! I like it!
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Nice job Pedro! I set my first CZ sxs up w/ a FF about 8 years ago. Eventually switched to fiberoptic. As far as POA/POI goes, I've set up about 10 of these Bobwhites in 20 and 28. I have not yet found one that does not shoot very close for both barrels. Good luck and welcome to the club. BTW, I made up a Beretta Silver Eagle and had the barrels Parkerised. Works well and have not had issues being busted by birds for no camouflage on barrels.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
poorcountrypreacher

Sorry Doc! I knew you hunted them with a sxs, but didn't know you had ever mounted a FF on one. Guess that makes you President. :)
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Nah, Preach you can have it. I didn't leave it on long. My idea was that as my eyes age it would work better. I haven't needed it, but it's tapped and ready to go! I'm just glad some folks are joining the club. I think it's great.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Congrats on a great looking gun. Love the color case hardened receiver.
poorcountrypreacher

DocHolliday wrote:Nah, Preach you can have it. I didn't leave it on long. My idea was that as my eyes age it would work better. I haven't needed it, but it's tapped and ready to go! I'm just glad some folks are joining the club. I think it's great.
As my eyes have aged, I haven't had a choice but to use an electronic sight. And even with the FF, I'm starting to have problems. I now see a dual image of the dot; fortunately the real dot is brighter than the reflection and its not hard to tell which one to shoot. I'd love to just use fiber optics, but don't see it happening.

I tested my Jon's Special CZ and found both barrels to hit almost center with tss loads. The patterns were both off about an inch at 40 yards; not enough to be an issue. And the full choke barrel threw an amazing pattern; a lot better than many turkey chokes. I decided not to set it up as a turkey gun due to the weight - it weighs 6.7 lbs and the little Yildiz is 5.5.

I love having 2 chokes; adds another dimension to the hunt - which barrel am I gonna shoot?

Good hunting to all.
Crockrj

Post by Crockrj »

Fine looking rig!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I wanted open sights but my eyes had a hard time getting all things in focus. The case color is nice on this. Would have gone to the 28 but Illinois does not allow smaller than 20ga for turkey's. The two choke option with dual triggers is my idea of a perfect turkey gun. Have not decided on a open barrel load, 1 3/8pb 7.5s or 1oz TSS 9.5s. The tight barrel is getting 1 5/8 TSS 8.5s. A few weeks before I get it out to pattern.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

For what it's worth, I shoot 1 7/16 oz Hevi 9's in the open barrel. We have taken multiple birds beyond 25 w/this load-DRT!
poorcountrypreacher

I just use the same tss 9 load in each barrel and let the different chokes produce the different sizes patterns. That saves me from having to remember which load goes into which barrel. Otherwise, I know I would cross them up sooner or later.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

DocHolliday wrote:For what it's worth, I shoot 1 7/16 oz Hevi 9's in the open barrel. We have taken multiple birds beyond 25 w/this load-DRT!
Thought about that, but too much tss, hw13, steel, and lead around to buy more shot. I bet those hevi9s throw a wicked pattern up close.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Y'all are gonna make me go buy another gun. This will be my next project.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:I just use the same tss 9 load in each barrel and let the different chokes produce the different sizes patterns. That saves me from having to remember which load goes into which barrel. Otherwise, I know I would cross them up sooner or later.
I will fold one and roll the other to tell the difference. I am sure I will interchange them at some point and shoot the same load. Don't need that much power up close.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I've not mixed them up yet. Nor have my children, nor my father. I label shells and color the head of the shell for the tight barrel with a Sharpie so that I can see it in the dark. Now I'll probably mix it up next hunt :lol:

Yes those H9's are wicked beasts up close and personal out of a Cyl or ImpCyl choke. Preach, my thought process was to get more pellets out there vs T9's yet retain lethality. That they do! One word of warning. DO NOT use T data or steel data for HEVISHOT. It is a whole other animal. It does not behave "rationally". Pressures run up quickly. I sent ALL loads for testing.
poorcountrypreacher

I don't have a way to fold 20 gauge, but could make one shell shorter than the other to help keep it straight when loading the gun in the dark. But I have 2 20 gauge sxs turkey guns and in one the RB is the tight one and in the other its the LB. I'd cross them up sooner or later. :)

Guess there's a lot of different motives for wanting 2 barrels. Using a less powerful and cheaper shell for the short, easy shots does have its appeal. But my thinking was that I wanted as much mojo as possible in each barrel; just wanted to make the close barrel produce a really wide can't miss pattern at close range, but still have the ability reach out and kill one a little further should I have the need for a second shot after shooting the tight barrel.

I'm getting patterns in my open barrels that are much bigger than the tight barrels at 25 yards, but still getting around 100 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yds. So if I messed up a 40 yd shot with the tight barrel, I'd still be able to finish the turkey with the open barrel. Hasn't happened yet, but that's the backup plan.

30 yards is the cutoff for me on the open barrel for the first shot. That is, if he's over 30 I use the tight barrel; under 30 use the open. Its worked very well, except for the time that I killed a sweetgum sapling 3' in front of the barrel. The red dot was right on the turkey; the left barrel was right on the sapling. :)

Murphy's Law rules in turkey hunting.
poorcountrypreacher

Can't remember if I've ever posted these pics here or not, but it seems to fit the thread. Killed these first 2 in GA on my birthday season before last. Shot one at 27 yards with the open barrel in the Yildiz. Carried him back to camp and went to check on one I'd hunted the day before. He gobbled as soon as I got out of the truck and 30 minutes later I shot him with the tight barrel at 41 yards.

That was a pretty good birthday and the last hunt of the season. I wondered if it might be too good, and began to think I probably wouldn't live to see another turkey season; this was the Lord's gift to me for my final turkey hunt. :) I did survive to hunt another season, so it was just a special blessing!

I hunted a good bit last season with a Spanish gun that had double triggers. I really like the little gun, but I'm not getting great patterns from the fixed full choke. Killed my last AL bird with it. He was just under 30 yards, but all I could see was his head so I used the tight barrel.

Gotta look close to see the FF in the pics. They don't take up much room. Good luck to all the sxs shooters!

Return to “Small Bore”