Bugging Me!

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Bugging Me!

Post by guesswho »

I was just bugging me that there were no posts in the 16 Gauge section.

Has anyone killed any turkeys with a 16 gauge? I used to hunt with a 16 all the time as a kid. Killed several turkeys with it. My Mom still uses it about half the time on her hunts.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Bugging Me!

Post by Turkey Talker »

:lol: I have had 1 bird get his neck and noggin blown to pieces with a 12 gauge (or I thought), get up and run away at 20 yards..chest feathers and blood all over the dirt..must have been a bad load. After that super turkey got away i vowed never to shoot anything less than a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 mag rounds. :angry5:

Maybe when i get up into your killing bracket I will decide to up the ante and risk a loss :rabbit:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I killed a few in your neck of the woods (Green Swamp) with the ole 16 back in the day. I may have to borrow it from my Mom this year just for old times sake.
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I don't own a 16. Never have. I've got all the rest..I think I need a 16ga. Hell, I do need a 16ga.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Everybody needs a 16, and a 12, and a 10 ect. ect.
Double Naught Spy!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Hognutz wrote:I don't own a 16. Never have. I've got all the rest..I think I need a 16ga. Hell, I do need a 16ga.
Oh hell. Why not.. :thumbup:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

The first and only Browning I ever shot was a Sweet 16. It was sweet too.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
catdaddy

Post by catdaddy »

One of the biggest bucks I have ever killed was with a double barrel 16 guage---#1 buckshot!
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I grew up shooting a 16GA double barrell Stevens. That thing would clear your sinuses with one pull of the trigger.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

catdaddy wrote:One of the biggest bucks I have ever killed was with a double barrel 16 guage---#1 buckshot!
Haven't you posted a picture of that deer somewhere? Seems to me like I've seen a picture of it for some reason.
Double Naught Spy!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Come to think of it...I don't believe I've ever shot a 16. :scratch:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:Come to think of it...I don't believe I've ever shot a 16. :scratch:
thats just wrong... :shock:

deadly dove guns
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

16 ga AYA SxS. Its a light upland bird gun really. I mainly use it for hunting ruffed grouse in the thick woods of N Wis where the shooting is very fast. You rarely get a shot past 25 yards the woods are so thick. Just wanted to try and get a turkey with it for the heck of it. Max range was 25 yards with the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6 load.

Got on a big fall flock with 4 hens and a bunch of poults, must have been at least 30 poults in the bunch. Saw them in the afternoon and roosted them that eve. Got in close and called them down into range the next morning. Could have shot a momma hen but chose a poult instead. Glad I did because it was the best bird I ever ate. When I plucked it, the poult was no bigger than a pheasant. Marinated it in teriyaki and cooked it in a weber, on a bed of hot coals and some wet alder chips thrown on top for a little smoke.

When the wife got done eating all she said was..."Go get another one". :mrgreen:
Last edited by Treerooster on July 6th, 2012, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I will have to try for a poult this fall.

nice AYA you got there!

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Treerooster wrote:16 ga AYA SxS. Its a light upland bird gun really. I mainly use it for hunting ruffed grouse in the thick woods of N Wis where the shooting is very fast. You rarely get a shot past 25 yards the woods are so thick. Just wanted to try and get a turkey with it for the heck of it. Max range was 25 yards with the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6 load.

Got on a big fall flock with 4 hens and a bunch of poults, must have been at least 30 poults in the bunch. Saw them in the afternoon and roosted them that eve. Got in close and called them down into range the next morning. Could have shot a momma hen but chose a poult instead. Glad I did because it was the best bird I ever ate. When I plucked it, the poult was no bigger than a pheasant. Marinated it in teriyaki and cooked it in a weber, on a bed of hot coals and some wet alder chips thrown on top for a little smoke.

When the wife got done eating all she said was..."Go get another one". :mrgreen:
Nice gun. I'd really love to have a Best quality Spanish SxS. If I got one, it would definitely be a 16.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Dang.

I've killed turkeys with the 12, 20, 28 and .410. But never a 16 ga. If you keep up with threads like this, I'll have to buy yet another shotgun that I don't need...
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Don't own one either, guess it's time to go shopping for one. That side by side is sweet!
"INFIDEL"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I have knocked down plenty of big Canadian Geese with my 16ga. I would not be afraid to take it out turkey hunting.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've got several pumps and a couple of 16 gauge doubles but have never had the desire to use them on turkeys. Snipe, dove and quail, yes.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Until there is a 3-inch 16 gauge specification from SAAMI, 16 gauge is essentially dead-on-arrival these days.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:Until there is a 3-inch 16 gauge specification from SAAMI, 16 gauge is essentially dead-on-arrival these days.
Loaded with high test, in 2-3/4" shells, it'll out perform the vast majority of 10 gauge combos being toted for turkeys.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

catdaddy wrote:One of the biggest bucks I have ever killed was with a double barrel 16 guage---#1 buckshot!
yeeehaw!

I thought you kilt yer critters with a fist pump? :scratch: :D

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

killed my first fall and spring birds with my dads single shot and low brass 8's when i was 16 years old.and one with my remington model 48 sportsmen with fed. copper 6's.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Spuriosity wrote:
Nice gun. I'd really love to have a Best quality Spanish SxS. If I got one, it would definitely be a 16.
Be careful with the Spanish guns now. I have heard they are putting out some real crap these days. Even expensive custom made guns.

The 16 ga AYA #2 is one of my dream guns. I am into my grouse guns like some of you are into turkey guns. I had this gun fitted to me. Had the stock bent a little up and put some cast-on to it also(I am a lefty). Had the triggers flipped so the left trigger is in front and had Briley chokes installed. Also had a leather fitted recoil pad put on...it never sticks to your clothes and helps with a consistent mount. The gun shoots where I look when I do my part.

I also have the same model in 28 ga. and didall the same modifacatios except no Briley chokes. I had the left barrel opened up to skeet and kept the right at IC. It is pretty much just a ruffed grouse gun but it is sweet to carry and shoot in the grouse woods. It will work for rail hunting too though. Hunted a pond about 18 inches deep and my dog would point them in the water like quail singles.

Ya need the fancy hat to hunt rail with a SxS. :D

ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

A few years back I was on a kick to try and fill my 5 tags with 5 different guns. Ranging from .410-10 ga. The only gun I don't own anymore was a 10ga but I had one I could use. I patterned the 16 ga and at 20 and 25 it was very similar. I felt confident at those distances but 30 was a different story. I think I had 1-2 pellets in the kill. I never did get a chance to kill a bird with it but its still on my list. I did get to witness my dad make one do the cockroach at 12 yards with the .410 and that was cool 8-)
Pass the biscuits!!

Return to “Small Bore”