Yildiz 20ga O/U

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Yildiz 20ga O/U

Post by howl »

I got one and some $2/shell Fed #7 Heavyweighton the way. I think I will try one through the factory full before I contact Sumtoy. Anyone care to suggest a better direction? I was gonna do TSS before I started looking at my fun budget. Thanks.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Yildiz 20ga O/U

Post by howl »

Looks like I'll need a choke! Here's some data for anyone looking at doing the same thing. It was around 70 degrees and breezy.

Testing POI shows both barrels hit low. Briley will re-thread your barrel under warranty to fix, but I'm not sure its off enough to bother.

Improved modified in lower barrel with Federal FCW 1 5/16 oz lead #6 at taped 40 yards:

Full choke in lower barrel with Federal FCW 1 5/16 oz lead #6 at taped 40 yards:
I pulled the shot down on that one. The wad hit the target, btw.

Full choke in top barrel with Federal 1.5oz Heavyweight #7 at a taped 50 yards:

I'll report back after I get something to make another go at the 50 yard shot.
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

I would save your money shooting those shells and just get the sumtoy, im sure it will out perform those factory chokes.

Thats not really all that low, it does look like the barrels are shooting close to the same poi anyway. Thats good.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's the plan. I tried Trulock first. They have no plans to make their FCW choke for the Yildiz 20. I'm looking forward to hearing back from Sumtoy.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Tried it at a measured 50 with a Sumtoy and the Federal 1.5oz Heavyweight #7. Better guess 40 right!

Last edited by howl on August 17th, 2013, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

What is that, one of those dandy imports ? Throw it in the trunk for a jack handle and go buy yourself a big boy gun.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I don't really understand why you are shooting at 50yrds??? :dontknow: If you are interested in killing turkeys at 50yrds with a 20ga, you might as well load up some TSS. The way I read it, that's where TSS shines...at long distance.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I test at 50 yards to ensure performance at 40. I posted this last trial for general information. If I had read where someone else had similar results, I'd have skipped trying it.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

What did that Sumtoy/Fed HW 7 combo do at 40yrds? Next time I'm at the range, I'm gonna shoot mine at 50yrds to see what it does.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

MKW wrote:I don't really understand why you are shooting at 50yrds??? :dontknow: If you are interested in killing turkeys at 50yrds with a 20ga, you might as well load up some TSS. The way I read it, that's where TSS shines...at long distance.

Mike
I think Mike's question was more in line with because most of us pattern at 40yds it is hard to compare.
Similarly we always gave Brian(Gold Hunter) some grief for showing 30-35yd patterns when everyone else was showing 40s. They may or may not look good but it is very hard to compare them at different distances.
20ga guns with factory loads are going to be hard to set up for 50yds. The pellets work that far its just the patterns dont hold up very often. I tried 5 different chokes in 1 I set up for an N"WTF banquet. I finally settled but it was not as good as I would have liked and for sure not as good as TSS.

john

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Didn't try it at forty. Whether you're looking for ~85 at fifty like me, or some other number at forty like most, the conclusion is probably going to involve scrapping it or finding the time for TSS.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Another vote for a 40 yd pattern to aid in comparing and commenting.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

hawglips wrote:Another vote for a 40 yd pattern to aid in comparing and commenting.
This^^^^^^^^^
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Just bought one of these last week in the youth model. What choke thread does the Yildiz O/U 20 use? Seems like I may have seen that they have used multiple thread patterns at different times.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Never seen that. Several makers offer chokes. I have used Briley, Sumtoy and Trulock in the few of those we have had around here.

You probably don't need a turkey choke for a hunting pattern.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

howl wrote:Never seen that. Several makers offer chokes. I have used Briley, Sumtoy and Trulock in the few of those we have had around here.

You probably don't need a turkey choke for a hunting pattern.
Ok, but what thread pattern are the chokes for this gun? I may have been thinking of some other gun and confused about different thread patterns used by same gun company.

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They're Yildiz specific as far as I know. There was some confusion in the translation of Yildiz saying their chokes are mobile in the manual. Some took that to mean Beretta style Mobil chokes.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Gotcha. Thanks.

Return to “Small Bore”