The Haymaker Choke Tube from Midwest Turkey and IC

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The Haymaker Choke Tube from Midwest Turkey and IC

Post by gophert »

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail ... T009&link=

An .560 diameter. Somebody pattern it and see how it does. :toothy7:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: The Haymaker Choke Tube from Midwest Turkey and IC

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It begs the question, why not just order a 560 from IC.. Maybe Sloppy can clue us in to if the internals and such vary from the standard IC choke.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

It will be interesting to see how this choke would handle TSS. The .555 does well, but this one sounds interesting.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

The 17-4 stainlesss steel Haymaker .560" is non-ported and contains no wad catcher features (Flite Control wad compatibility by design). I will not post dimension specifics regarding the Haymaker's forcing cone (in the choke) or its parallel section length but it should suffice to say that it will perform with the very best chokes available using tungsten-based and lead shot types.

Although I have not personally tested the Haymaker with 18g/cc density TSS shot, the non-ported design with its .560" exit diameter should be excellent for the application (it is more "open" than an Indian Creek's .555" and has no wad catchers).

In a 20GA Remington 870, it shoots 3-inch 20GA Federal Heavyweight 1 1/2 oz. number 6s and 7s outstandingly. My testing says to expect >110 number 6 Heavyweight pellets OR >145 number 7 heavyweight pellets in a 10-inch circle at 40 yards.

3-inch 20GA Hevi-13 1 1/4 oz. number 6s or 7s also shoot wonderfully in the HayMaker choke tube. My testing says to expect >115 number 6 Hevi-13 pellets OR >160 number 7 Hevi-13 pellets in a 10-inch circle at 40 yards.

I have performed no testing with lead 20GA shotshells so I have no data to offer for that (yet).

Don't be surprised if your HayMaker shoots even higher numbers than these (as I shot when it was only 38°F outside! ;) )
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:The 17-4 stainlesss steel Haymaker .560" is non-ported and contains no wad catcher features (Flite Control wad compatibility by design). I will not post dimension specifics regarding the Haymaker's forcing cone (in the choke) or its parallel section length but it should suffice to say that it will perform with the very best chokes available using tungsten-based and lead shot types.

Although I have not personally tested the Haymaker with 18g/cc density TSS shot, the non-ported design with its .560" exit diameter should be excellent for the application (it is more "open" than an Indian Creek's .555" and has no wad catchers).

In a 20GA Remington 870, it shoots 3-inch 20GA Federal Heavyweight 1 1/2 oz. number 6s and 7s outstandingly. My testing says to expect >110 number 6 Heavyweight pellets OR >145 number 7 heavyweight pellets in a 10-inch circle at 40 yards.

3-inch 20GA Hevi-13 1 1/4 oz. number 6s or 7s also shoot wonderfully in the HayMaker choke tube. My testing says to expect >115 number 6 Hevi-13 pellets OR >160 number 7 Hevi-13 pellets in a 10-inch circle at 40 yards.

I have performed no testing with lead 20GA shotshells so I have no data to offer for that (yet).

Don't be surprised if your HayMaker shoots even higher numbers than these (as I shot when it was only 38°F outside! ;) )
Well it sounds pretty dang good so far.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:The 17-4 stainlesss steel Haymaker .560" is non-ported and contains no wad catcher features (Flite Control wad compatibility by design). I will not post dimension specifics regarding the Haymaker's forcing cone (in the choke) or its parallel section length but it should suffice to say that it will perform with the very best chokes available using tungsten-based and lead shot types.

Sounds like a great tube, and I bet it will do great with TSS as well. Thanks for the detailed info. It certainly is refreshing to read a post with some data to back up the generalities.
Last edited by Spuriosity on January 14th, 2013, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Cool Sloppy great info.. The pic in midwest makes it appear ported and or they used an IC for the catalog picture.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Cool Sloppy great info.. The pic in midwest makes it appear ported and or they used an IC for the catalog picture.
It is actually "false porting" that does not penetrate all the way through the steel (i.e. the Haymaker looks ported but in reality, it is not). This serves no other purpose than to achieve a cosmetic look. ;) :salute:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:Cool Sloppy great info.. The pic in midwest makes it appear ported and or they used an IC for the catalog picture.
It is actually "false porting" that does not penetrate all the way through the steel (i.e. the Haymaker looks ported but in reality, it is not). This serves no other purpose than to achieve a cosmetic look. ;) :salute:
ohhhh so its a fluted choke tube...I get like that! :thumbup: :lol:

gives strength and reduced weight
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

#1 - First post for me, alot of good info here on this site... glad to be here.

#2- Has anyone other than Sloppy done any real world tests? I am about to buy my son a 11-87 LOP and hope to get it set up before youth weekend starts. Obviously, I don't want to waste money on tubes that will not be a good choice for this gun, but the main driving force here is time. I will basically only have a couple of weeks to get this done and dusted as I am currently at work over seas and will not be home for two more weeks.

I am planning on shooting Fed HW #7's or Hevi 13's in #6's or7's, may even run a Nitro or three thru it to see how they do.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

#1 - First post for me, alot of good info here on this site... glad to be here.

#2- Has anyone other than Sloppy done any real world tests? I am about to buy my son a 11-87 LOP and hope to get it set up before youth weekend starts. Obviously, I don't want to waste money on tubes that will not be a good choice for this gun, but the main driving force here is time. I will basically only have a couple of weeks to get this done and dusted as I am currently at work over seas and will not be home for two more weeks.

I am planning on shooting Fed HW #7's or Hevi 13's in #6's or7's, may even run a Nitro or three thru it to see how they do.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

BigBen wrote:#1 - First post for me, alot of good info here on this site... glad to be here.

I do not believe so as it is so new.. I would be curious if they offer a money back guarantee.. In your case with time, you may be best ordering a couple different chokes from companies that offer a trial period: Indian Creek, Pure Gold, Sum Toy.. Doing your shooting with each of the chokes and returning what you do not want..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

for any concerns, I would call Indian Creek and ask them personally what they found out while testing out the haymaker.

I have called and spoke with Mike and Stuart @ IndianCreek several times and they are very open about their product.

They know what shoots good in what tube and what you should expect to find.

and welcome to GN BigBen!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Small Bore”