M2 20ga steady grip stock install.

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
DevilDogCruiser

M2 20ga steady grip stock install.

Post by DevilDogCruiser »

Hey folks!! Thinking about buying a steady grip stock for my M2 20. I have searched this forum for install threads, but the only thing that comes up is that it needs to be sanded/filed don to get the 12 ga stock to match with the 20ga receiver. Other than that is it a fairly simple install, since it is not a comfor tech stock? Not really finding much information about it online. Thank you in advance!
DevilDogCruiser

Re: M2 20ga steady grip stock install.

Anybody?!? Thank you!
alloutdoors

Post by alloutdoors »

It’s completely straightforward. You won’t use any of the shims that come with the Comfortech, the retaining screw that comes off the back of the recoil spring tube just goes through the sling plate in the stock and tighten it down.

The only issue you might run into is that there are two different styles of retaining screws and if you have the one with the bulge you may need to swap it for the other style to get it through the sling plate.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100533668?pid=199893

That said, mine has the bulge and I bought the replacement screw when I bought the stock, but I didn’t end up needing it as mine fit just fine even with the bulge. They may have changed the design of the sling plate to accommodate either screw style.

As for the overhang, it’s about 1/16” at most. I used a Dremel and it made short work of it. I did it with the stock mounted to the receiver because I’m planning to have the whole gun dipped/Cerakoted after the season, but if you aren’t doing that I would take the stock off so you don’t mar the receiver.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Mine was straight forward install. Didn’t sand to fit. Small lip all around it and didn’t care
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
DevilDogCruiser

Thank you!

alloutdoors wrote: May 4th, 2020, 1:14 pm It’s completely straightforward. You won’t use any of the shims that come with the Comfortech, the retaining screw that comes off the back of the recoil spring tube just goes through the sling plate in the stock and tighten it down.

The only issue you might run into is that there are two different styles of retaining screws and if you have the one with the bulge you may need to swap it for the other style to get it through the sling plate.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100533668?pid=199893

That said, mine has the bulge and I bought the replacement screw when I bought the stock, but I didn’t end up needing it as mine fit just fine even with the bulge. They may have changed the design of the sling plate to accommodate either screw style.

As for the overhang, it’s about 1/16” at most. I used a Dremel and it made short work of it. I did it with the stock mounted to the receiver because I’m planning to have the whole gun dipped/Cerakoted after the season, but if you aren’t doing that I would take the stock off so you don’t mar the receiver.
alloutdoors

Post by alloutdoors »

DevilDogCruiser wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:41 pm Thank you!
I just got mine back from being dipped/Cerakoted. It came out great, and after being dipped the 12ga pistol grip that I sanded down looks like something that would come straight from the factory.
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

That came out looking awesome. Nice one!
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

I just finished 2 of them and they came out great! Sanded to fit , then sent stock to rob Roberts to dip.
AF17B026-56D0-4016-9CEC-255942BF885C.jpeg

Return to “Small Bore”