New 20 ga. project (yildiz) - opinions ?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

New 20 ga. project (yildiz) - opinions ?

Post by Southern Sportsman »

A 20 gauge turkey gun has been on my project list for a while. Just acquired a 20 ga. Yildiz SPZ ME youth. I’m going to test it with the factory full, but I’m looking at aftermarket choke options. I probably won’t do a true “close range” barrel (like a IM with lead 7s) for now. Until my son gets a little older or I miss one inside 20 yards - whichever comes first. But I will have one a bit more open than the other.

Chokes options are a little less plentiful with the Yildiz. I know of Trulock, Briley, and Sumtoy. Right now I’m leaning towards a Sumtoy .562 for my tightest barrel. Undecided on the other barrel. Maybe a Trulock .585 or .591.

I’m open to anything and there is a lot of knowledge floating around on this site. Experiences, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I will be shooting hand loads (9s). And I will probably get a FFIII or something comparable for it.

I don’t think the silver receiver will actually make a difference, but I’m thinking about having it cerakoted for aesthetics. Anyone done this? Will it make the break action too stiff/tight? Would they have to tape off the interior part of the action?

Thanks
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New 20 ga. project (yildiz) - opinions ?

Post by Spuriosity »

Hard to go wrong with ST for your tight barrel. I would try your factory chokes for the "open" barrel. In my 12 ga O/U I use a ST .675 with a 1.625 oz handload of TSS 9x8.5s for the tight barrel and a lt mod for the open barrel with a 1.25 oz handload of reclaimed TSS 9x8.5s. The lt mod gives decent forgiveness on close birds but still maintains adequate pattern density to 40 yds. I did lots of experimentation with lead 7s and 7.5s for the open barrel but could never achieve adequate pattern density to 40 yds without using turkey chokes and heavy loads, which I wanted to avoid.
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

I have a yildiz youth 20. Love mine. Shoots good. Light weight. Running Sumtoy chokes. 562 and 585. Dipped (not good dip job going to get redone). Sumtoy optic mount. I posted on here with patterns for my Hal hand load tss and a hand load nickel lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

wchadw wrote:I have a yildiz youth 20. Love mine. Shoots good. Light weight. Running Sumtoy chokes. 562 and 585. Dipped (not good dip job going to get redone). Sumtoy optic mount. I posted on here with patterns for my Hal hand load tss and a hand load nickel lead

40 yard Sumtoy 562

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Dang, that's a smoking pattern
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

jsh909 wrote:Dang, that's a smoking pattern
It’s a great little gun. Inexpensive. Light. Shoots well.
I’m considering getting a 28 for my son

Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

wchadw wrote: February 21st, 2020, 6:53 pm
I ordered a ST .562 after seeing your patterns. Hopefully mine performs as well.

How do you have the sling rigged up on the front? Something threaded through the slit between the barrels?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Southern Sportsman wrote:
wchadw wrote: February 21st, 2020, 6:53 pm
I ordered a ST .562 after seeing your patterns. Hopefully mine performs as well.

How do you have the sling rigged up on the front? Something threaded through the slit between the barrels?
No. It’s a screw in. Just be careful. I drilled a hole first to avoid splitting wood. It’s at an angle thru a thicker part

Return to “Small Bore”