Turkeyrizing 1928 Lefever Single Barrel 20 ga. Trap model

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Turkeyrizing 1928 Lefever Single Barrel 20 ga. Trap model

Post by GLS »

While I was shuttling gun back and forth to Sumtoy with my project this month, a friend asked me to shepherd his gun through as well. Other than refinish the metal with Duracoat Flat Black, my main role started with trying to convince him before the season that he needed to pattern it to see if it hit where he aimed. It had a Polychoke on it and he never test fired it to check poa/poi. He didn't get to shoot it at a turkey and the only one he had come in was about 50 yards out. He was shooting Federal TSS 7. He's not one to take a chance on a long bird and prefers 40 and closer. He didn't shoot and after the season ended he decided to see if it hit where he aimed. He put a refrigerator box at 50 and shot at it. 20" to the left and low. He'd have missed the bird had he shot or worse, wounded it. My instructions were to get a dedicated turkey gun built. As many of you know William's metal chop saw has no conscience and off came the Polychoke. Before cutting, without me telling him, he looked down the barrel and said: "shoots low and left". The Polychoke was mounted off axis decades ago. The gun's action had been refinished with a plum colored action but the barrel had been re-blued nicely. Before and after photos below. William mounted his vent rib FF mount on the rib where it first flattened out. He cut the barrel to the first stanchion below the rib at 24". His choke added another 2" to the overall length. I test fired it with Tommy's Hot Rod 2 3/4 load with 1 3/8 oz. of TSS #8 (277/oz.) and a reduced powder charge. I also shot Hal's 3" 1 5/8 oz. load of TSS #8.5 (342/oz.). After patterning, I taped off the wood on the stock and removed the bluing with a Scrubbie and Duracoat degreaser/stripper. Same for the barrel. Monday when I coated my TK12's action, I coated the Lefever with 3 coats as well. On coating: If you are going to do it on your wife's washing machine, make sure she isn't around when you do it and you better be careful where you spray.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkeyrizing 1928 Lefever Single Barrel 20 ga. Trap model

Post by Hoobilly »

Nice!

He’s gonna put a hurting on them gobblers now!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

That gun turned out really nice, both in looks and patterns.
I like seeing the old guns still out there hunting

who would of thought in 1928 this gun could be capable of consistently killing turkeys at 60 yards.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crow wrote: June 27th, 2019, 10:09 pm That gun turned out really nice, both in looks and patterns.
I like seeing the old guns still out there hunting

who would of thought in 1928 this gun could be capable of consistently killing turkeys at 60 yards.
they would be shocked!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

i like it
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Nicely done!
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome Gil!!! If you want a flat black with no shine at all get the tactical black. :thumbup:

Return to “Small Bore”