.410 pattern .... honest opinions

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Jstocks

.410 pattern .... honest opinions

Post by Jstocks »

I loaded 4 different loads to try on this new to me 410. I thought this pattern was decent enough to hunt as long as shots are kept to 40 yards or closer. I may try some 9.5’s in this load. These were 9’s.

This was the best pattern out of the 4 loads. All shot from the bottom barrel.

127 in the 10”
#9’s
7A17CF62-7384-4B6A-A6C3-282E9C7B748B.jpeg
Not sure why it’s sideways when posted?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: .410 pattern .... honest opinions

Post by Southern Sportsman »

127 with 9s is really strong if it does that consistently.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I think it will be fine. I’m gunshy in the 410’s from missing a chip shot at a bird that was in the wide open and pretty much ideal distance. That was before I realized I was loading wads that were still fused at the top.

I think I’ll get more consistent patterns now.
This gun does not have screw in chokes, so I was curious about the patterns, but if I can get it to repeat that pattern it will be fine.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

This is a case where the numbers don't tell the whole story. I'd hunt with it but there are two-three big holes in the pattern but because of the overlapping denser areas a centered head and neck would be toasted. What were the other patterns like? Gil
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

That's not bad for a .410 with factory chokes. My Tristar Viper G2 did a little better with a Jebs choke and my Henry single shot was pretty much lights out (180 in a 10") with the same choke tube.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

B0F80107-7ECF-464E-84B7-FFB1B5C434BF.jpeg
9.5’s
Highest count was 107
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

The other 2 patterns were a 72 and an 88.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Jstocks wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 4:10 pm I think it will be fine. I’m gunshy in the 410’s from missing a chip shot at a bird that was in the wide open and pretty much ideal distance. That was before I realized I was loading wads that were still fused at the top.

I think I’ll get more consistent patterns now.
This gun does not have screw in chokes, so I was curious about the patterns, but if I can get it to repeat that pattern it will be fine.
Did you try this same recipe with 9.5s?

Some guys get unbelievable 150-160+ patterns with different combos out of a .410. But like you, my gun is not choked. Fixed full. I get in the 130s consistently with 9.5s and I’m very happy with it. If I’m hunting my .410 I obviously want to kill one close. I draw my line at 40 yards, and if I misjudge and he’s 45, no problem. I can’t ask more than that out of it.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Rather have a even 100 pattern than more with holes in it. My experience with .410 loads is being consistent and exact is important. Those fluctuations in numbers can come from not having petals all split the same and small variations in powder charge. The cheap electric scales a lot of us use show up in pattern variation.

Also, I'm about convinced T9.5s are all any of us need. If you're not trying to hold a pattern at distance, T10s might be better yet.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I have not tried 9.5’s in that load, but I plan on ordering some and trying. I basically have 2 load variations of the 4 I tried that have potential.

The 127 was Hal’s older 410 load that I had with 9’s.

The 107 was Hal’s 370 load, with a split nitro card over the powder, and a piece of foam on top of the shot/underneath the Osc. This was with 9.5’s

When I get some more 9.5’s, I’m going to try to load up some more and do some more testing.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

The other 2 loads that did not pattern as well were variations of these 2 loads mentioned above. One did not have foam on top of the 370. The other load had no Mylar, but had foam on top of the older recipe. Neither load did as good as the 2 variations I’m going to continue patterning.

I have some tss 7’s that I’m going to pattern as well, just for sake of doing so.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

One thing about using a split card under the gas seal is that it may leave a void between seal and card resulting in a drop of pressure which can affect velocity. The thinner the better if you are using something under the seal. One way to tell if there is a void is if the wad height is different with or without card. Gil
Fieldturkey

Post by Fieldturkey »

GLS wrote: June 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm One thing about using a split card under the gas seal is that it may leave a void between seal and card resulting in a drop of pressure which can affect velocity. The thinner the better if you are using something under the seal. One way to tell if there is a void is if the wad height is different with or without card. Gil
Does this also apply to other loads? I’m using a card between wad and powder to eliminate powder migration. I’ve wondered about the void between the two.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Fieldturkey wrote: June 5th, 2019, 9:05 pm
GLS wrote: June 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm One thing about using a split card under the gas seal is that it may leave a void between seal and card resulting in a drop of pressure which can affect velocity. The thinner the better if you are using something under the seal. One way to tell if there is a void is if the wad height is different with or without card. Gil
Does this also apply to other loads? I’m using a card between wad and powder to eliminate powder migration. I’ve wondered about the void between the two.
I don't see why not. Perhaps a more flexible material, such as Tyvek, would conform to the underside of the gas seal and eliminate the void or a wrap of teflon plumber's tape around the circumference. The tape is hard to work with. Gil
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The only one I have shot is Hal’s older 13/16 oz cheddite load. I definitely recommend some type of card or seal under the wad. This year, patterning with shells that I loaded last year, I had one blooper caused (I’m certain) by powder migration. And a buddy had the same thing happen shooting at a turkey (shell I made last year that was carried around in a truck and vest through the 2018 season). I pulled all the remaining shells from that batch and shined a bright flashlight through the hull. All of them had powder up around the sides of the hull.

Now I split an OS card in half with a razor and seat that half-thick card over the powder before I insert the wad. I have not seen any adverse effects in pattern or consistency.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I had correspondence with a member that reported a significant drop in chronographed velocity with the card. He never indicated the thickness. I've loaded both ways, with and without, but I split the wad thinner than by half. I have reports that the Fiocchi hull is tighter than the Cheddite with the TPS wad. He doesn't have lab results yet. If a card isn't used, probably a good idea to carry the shells with crimp upwards if possible and not carrying the round the whole season without checking as SS does with a light. Can't do that with a brass hull, but it's easy enough after a few weeks to pop open the OSC, dump TSS, wad, powder and redo. I may try cutting a disk from a tevak envelope and see how that works.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GLS wrote: June 6th, 2019, 11:25 am I had correspondence with a member that reported a significant drop in chronographed velocity with the card. He never indicated the thickness. I've loaded both ways, with and without, but I split the wad thinner than by half. I have reports that the Fiocchi hull is tighter than the Cheddite with the TPS wad. He doesn't have lab results yet. If a card isn't used, probably a good idea to carry the shells with crimp upwards if possible and not carrying the round the whole season without checking as SS does with a light. Can't do that with a brass hull, but it's easy enough after a few weeks to pop open the OSC, dump TSS, wad, powder and redo. I may try cutting a disk from a tevak envelope and see how that works.
Let us know if you hear about the lab results. I’ve got some fio hulls. I just dont want to substitute without testing.

Return to “Small Bore”