410 pattern

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
edward.penny

410 pattern

Post by edward.penny »

Would you hunt this pattern? I shot this at 30 yards and that is farther than I will get a shot where I hunt. This is Federal TSS and stock Yildiz. ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

liv2hnt

Re: 410 pattern

Post by liv2hnt »

You bet. That is a killer at 30 yrds.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

With all due respect, it’s awful weak. IMHO.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

have you cleaned your barrel??

410's for the most part love a super clean barrel.

may want to polish it and see

I wouldn't want to misjudge yardage with that pattern and it be 40 or more yards
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If this is the gun you discussed in an earlier post about sending it to Sumtoy, do so. The Yildiz seems to be all over the range with factory full. I shot mine for a season or two before having it choked by Sumtoy. It was a 100 shot average for 3 shots in the 10" at 40. Shortly after I bought mine I, bought another Yildiz for a buddy, Billy, but it would barely do 70. This was in 2012. Back then, he didn't have the barrel threading tap for the .410 so it was sleeved. The gun is still in service and doing fine. I eventually sent my gun to Mike Orlen for shortening the barrel and choke threading. When it got back, William matched the internal threading for a screw-in. Since that time, William is able to do all of the barrel work so no need to send to anyone for threading. He has done a pile of them since then. It still amazes me how light it is. I also find the anodized alloy frame and satin chromed barrel corrosion resistant without the need for dipping or coating. I have yet to see one that didn't need trigger work to eliminate creep and lighten pull. This season I started carrying it in a short Plano hard case to prevent bumping the Fast Fire while traveling with other folks. Billy's lost zero from carrying it in his truck unprotected. He hadn't re-checked for zero until we did so last year. It was off by a mile. Fortunately it didn't cost him a bird and he took two with it last year. He now carries it in a Plano foam lined hardcase. Gil
PharmHunter

Post by PharmHunter »

I was rather disappointed with the Federal .410 loads. Have seen really poor patterns out of multiple setups.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

I probably wouldn't hunt with that pattern knowing what a 410 is capable of.
That will kill one at 30 but I wouldn't want to limit myself to that range.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I hunted them with 12 ga. ammo that didn't do much better at 40 yards for years. If I wanted to make it a turkey gun, I'd do some work. If I just wanted to say that I killed a bird with a 410, I'd limit it to 30 then put it in the closet once I checked the 410 box.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 2:42 pm I hunted them with 12 ga. ammo that didn't do much better at 40 yards for years. If I wanted to make it a turkey gun, I'd do some work. If I just wanted to say that I killed a bird with a 410, I'd limit it to 30 then put it in the closet once I checked the 410 box.
Yep 25 years ago that was the case with 12ga. You were happy with 8-10 in the vitals.
I smoked a gobbler yesterday with my 410 at 30 yards. Too much fun. Some of my buddies still can't wrap their minds around it so I'll keep loading them 12ga 3.5".

Return to “Small Bore”