Anybody using standard chokes with TSS?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Jetboater-GN

Anybody using standard chokes with TSS?

Post by Jetboater-GN »

New guy here. With all the pics I'm seeing of really dense TSS patterns, is anybody using less than a real tight "Turkey Choke"? We all seem to have such things, but these new loads shoot such tight patterns that I'm a little nervous that they're actually too tight for closer-in birds. Does anybody have pics of patterns with looser chokes? I'm thinking of 20 gauge 3" loads.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Anybody using standard chokes with TSS?

Post by howl »

Yes. There should be some already posted. I'm pretty sure I posted a 40 yard killing pattern with 7/8oz T10s and improved modified.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jetboater-GN wrote: March 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm New guy here. With all the pics I'm seeing of really dense TSS patterns, is anybody using less than a real tight "Turkey Choke"? We all seem to have such things, but these new loads shoot such tight patterns that I'm a little nervous that they're actually too tight for closer-in birds. Does anybody have pics of patterns with looser chokes? I'm thinking of 20 gauge 3" loads.
I have shot and also seen others who have great patterns that are deemed "tight" shot more openthat what many would think at closer ranges

for big shot you dont need much choke. depending on gun and load I have found 660-675 is about the best bet for great overall patterns
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

My 500 full choke put up around 225. I use a Carlson 575 that I do not feel is too tight and get 275 and if I adjust poa I would get 320s
KyScott

Post by KyScott »

A lot of guys shoot .570 to .575 in 20 gauge and .670 to .675 in 12 gauge to get more forgiving up close patterns that will still rock them at 40 yards. Those constrictions are gonna get you close to factory Full but remember that a lot of Factory chokes will not be TSS approved.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Folks get fine patterns out of fixed chokes as well. I have several 20's and .410s that don't need a screw-in. It pays (or saves $) to try the gun first before having a choke installed. If it ain't broke....
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

You should be fine with factory chokes. I don't have pictures available but have shot hand loads thru factory flush mounts full & ex-full in 20ga and 12ga and they produce very good hunting patterns.
More open at close-in distances like you're referring to.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I use a 585 in the tight barrel and have gotten patterns from 260 to 300. This is a cheap Carlson's flush mount. I have shot a 273 in the same barrel with a 600 modified choke.

This stuff doesn't require a lot of choke and I think a lot of people over choke it. I've found it pretty common to get tighter patterns with more open chokes.
oldtom42

Post by oldtom42 »

I've used a Briley modified with TSS and it performed well.
Jetboater-GN

Post by Jetboater-GN »

Thanks for the input. The gun I'm buying comes with a Modified choke tube, so I'll shoot it before I decide how much choke I need.
arhuntingfool

Post by arhuntingfool »

Factory full in mossberg 500 20 gauge shooting 1 5/8 oz load. I prefer even 20” circle patterns at 40 yards. It’ll still kill them to 50 if you screw up judging distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Small Bore”