Jelly Head Maximum .570

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
KyScott

Jelly Head Maximum .570

Post by KyScott »

Hey guys I’m building an 870 20 for my wife and was wondering if anybody has any experience with this choke with tss 9’s. I’ve always been a fan of the original Jellyheads (have 2) and with what I’ve seen other than the Sumtoy .562 everybody leans somewhere between .565 to .575 for TSS. With the new JellyHead for Remington coming in at .570 it seems like a good option with the price point it can be found for which is around $40 or so. Is there something about it that causes it not to pattern well? I don’t have a problem buying one just to try but thought if someone had some insight it would save me some trouble including trying to resale it in the classified. Also she will have a reflex sight but still want somewhat of a forgiving pattern because even though she’s a great shot she absolutely gets tore up. Lol thanks ahead for the help and take care.
chipper

Re: Jelly Head Maximum .570

Post by chipper »

A lot of guys have good luck with the factory Remington RSF choke and my son shoots a .575 Carlson out of his 870, I have a primal jellyhead somewhere that shot good patterns but that .575 Carlson shoots great in my son's gun.
KyScott

Post by KyScott »

Thanks Chipper. Do you remember what size you’re JellyHead is? Old style or new style?
chipper

Post by chipper »

I'm pretty sure it is a .570 but I'm not absolutely sure it is a .570. It is the old style. FWIW them cheap Primos Titewads through a decent pattern with tss also. My 870 is finicky as all get out and likes tight chokes, I'm using a .555 Indian Creek but recommend a red dot or scope with it. That 870 of my son's just shoots good with everything and he really likes that .575 Carlson.
TerkyMan83

Post by TerkyMan83 »

I just recently patterned the jellyhead max in my rem 870 youth and the pattern was the worse one out of 9 different chokes. When i say the worse one i mean it shot the most open pattern at 40 yds. Wasnt even worth counting. Looked like around 100-120 in the 10. However the primos tightwad which is the same .570 exit diameter shot a much better pattern and is much cheaper. My 870 likes the .555 indian creek, .568 carlson long beard choke, and the truglo ssx with the federal tss. The primos tightwad would be my fourth choice. Haven't tried sumtoy.
KyScott

Post by KyScott »

Thanks guys that exactly the kinda info I was looking for.
Steve H

Post by Steve H »

TerkyMan83 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 4:03 pm I just recently patterned the jellyhead max in my rem 870 youth and the pattern was the worse one out of 9 different chokes. When i say the worse one i mean it shot the most open pattern at 40 yds. Wasnt even worth counting. Looked like around 100-120 in the 10. However the primos tightwad which is the same .570 exit diameter shot a much better pattern and is much cheaper. My 870 likes the .555 indian creek, .568 carlson long beard choke, and the truglo ssx with the federal tss. The primos tightwad would be my fourth choice. Haven't tried sumtoy.
TerkyMan83 - What kind of results did you get with the longbeard choke and were you shooting 9's?

Return to “Small Bore”