870 Slugs 20 gauge

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
dsunday

870 Slugs 20 gauge

Post by dsunday »

Any thoughts on the most accurate slug out of a smooth bore, 870 20 ga, with an IC choke? Dont want to buy a rifled barrel. I have found some deer on a shotgun only area, and am scrambling!

Ordered some winchedters, brenneke, and federals to try out!
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 870 Slugs 20 gauge

Post by Turkinator »

When I shot a smooth bore slug gun, rifled barrels weren't legal in Ohio at that time, I got the best "accuracy" out of the foster type slugs. Either the Winchester or Remington. One bit of advice, if your barrel has a rib, get a set of Williams or some other adjustable sights. Smooth bore slugs are unpredictable at best.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have had the best groups from the lighfield brand slugs. Very accurate out my 20 gauge. Haven’t shot a deer with them but I use them to put down cattle that are to sick or to broken to fix. They will knock cow out quick fast and in a hurry.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Lightfields are excellent.. if you have screw in choke tube you can buy a Carlsons rifled choke tube and I say the light fields or the Remington accutips are gonna do very good. The accutips are hands down the best you can buy for saboted slugs.

also don't be afraid to try the Federal truball lugs. My dads 1100 2oga will put them in a pie plate at 150 yards
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Before switching to a rifled barrel I liked the Brenneke rifled slugs. Something to remember if you are not familiar with slug guns and barrels is rifled slugs in smooth bores,and saboted slugs in rifled barrels.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

redarrow wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:44 am Before switching to a rifled barrel I liked the Brenneke rifled slugs. Something to remember if you are not familiar with slug guns and barrels is rifled slugs in smooth bores,and saboted slugs in rifled barrels.
Lightfield slugs sabots will shoot in a smoothbore. They do say they shoot better with a rifles barrel tho
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Small Bore”