Help me pick a Small Bore O/U

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

I posted this in the Gun forum maybe small bore forum is the right place Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
compturkeyhunter

Re: Help me pick a Small Bore O/U

Post by compturkeyhunter »

Yildiz 410 or 28ga

BIGGUS

Post by BIGGUS »

I've got a Browning Cynergy Micro Midas I really like. Kinda short on the L.O.P. but perfect for awkward shots on turkeys. They can be kinda hard to come by with the 24" barrels, but there's a few on GunBroker at the moment.
Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

compturkeyhunter wrote:Yildiz 410 or 28ga

Should you choose these over a 20ga

compturkeyhunter

Post by compturkeyhunter »

Yes
With tss

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

More seriously, it depends on several factors with gauge being the least concern. You can look at how much shot you want to throw and how much you want the gun to weigh. And then there's the secret squirrel details of how the loads are made up. A load for one might be easier to assemble and offer better protection of the bore than another.

You'll likely end up looking at 28ga or 20ga depending on the frame size. 28ga is built on the same size receiver as both .410 and 20ga depending on model and manufacturer. If you can get the 28 in the same size frame as a .410, there's little point to the .410 except cool factor. Same deal on the 20ga frame.
jryser

Post by jryser »

I have a Browning BPS Micro Midas in .410 that I love. I know it’s not an O/U but it’s a heckuva cool option.
40 yard target with Hal’s 370NM Load

Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

Dang that is very neat little set up

jryser

Post by jryser »

Hunt4spurs87 wrote:Dang that is very neat little set up

It’s quickly become my favorite gun - simply Bc it’s so cool, zero kick, and is consistent.

Here’s a twenty and thirty yard target

Briley ported EF choke and that’s it!!! As finicky as I have heard .410’s to be, this one has been a dream.

bcturkeynut

Post by bcturkeynut »

Look at a Savage/Stevens 555 Compact. I just got one in 28ga a couple of months ago. Sent the barrels to Sumtoy for a base, then added a Venom. This is the first o/u I have ever owned but I have already fallen in love with it. It is one of the few o/u you will find with 24” barrels and choke tubes. It does have a youth length stock but I added a Sims slip on pad which added 1” to the LOP. With the Venom the rig weighs less than 5lbs. Figured if I put a kid behind it I could remove the slip on pad for a better fit for the young’un. The trigger was heavy, around 7.25lbs. A local gunsmith worked on it and got it down to a crisp 5lbs. I purchased Trulock .520 & IC .520. With Hal’s 1.5oz load of 9s I averaged 256/220 with IC and 202/236 with Trulock. Still have some more tinkering to do with it but I really like the gun. The Compact 555 is available in 20ga & .410 as well.
Hunt4spurs87

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

bcturkeynut wrote:Look at a Savage/Stevens 555 Compact. I just got one in 28ga a couple of months ago. Sent the barrels to Sumtoy for a base, then added a Venom. This is the first o/u I have ever owned but I have already fallen in love with it. It is one of the few o/u you will find with 24” barrels and choke tubes. It does have a youth length stock but I added a Sims slip on pad which added 1” to the LOP. With the Venom the rig weighs less than 5lbs. Figured if I put a kid behind it I could remove the slip on pad for a better fit for the young’un. The trigger was heavy, around 7.25lbs. A local gunsmith worked on it and got it down to a crisp 5lbs. I purchased Trulock .520 & IC .520. With Hal’s 1.5oz load of 9s I averaged 256/220 with IC and 202/236 with Trulock. Still have some more tinkering to do with it but I really like the gun. The Compact 555 is available in 20ga & .410 as well.
I’ll look into that model thank you for the info

Return to “Small Bore”