Best gauge for middlin' loads

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Best gauge for middlin' loads

Post by howl »

What is the best gauge for one to one and three eighths ounce loads? 20? 28?
BrowningGuy88

Re: Best gauge for middlin' loads

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

My next gun will be a 28.

I've went all the way down to 410 trying to go small in a double barrel and I just never got used to it.

I run 20 and 12 currently and like both, but I hope to set up a 28 for 2019 season!
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I like the 20ga with 1 3/8oz load
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I guess I'm asking about which has the best wads and how the different shot charges fit the bore, theoretically anyway. What is the TSS version of a square load?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The "square load" concept as an ideal has been a topic of controversy among shotgunners for sometime. With turkey loads, the length of shot string is unimportant as the target is most likely stationary. For versatility, nothing beats the 12 gauge, but when shotgun weight becomes a factor, the 20 gauge has it beat hands down using TSS--but only if the weight is a factor and is lower. However, some 20's shoot like 20's but carry like 12's. My 28 ga. Ithaca M37 weighs 6 lbs. My 20 ga. single shots range from 4 lbs. 13 oz to 5.5 lbs. My 28 ga. Bobwhite, 5 lbs. 4 oz. The Bobwhite's choice of barrels and double triggers offers versatility that's absent in a single barrel, regardless if a pump, auto or single-shot. I don't believe it is currently manufactured, but could be wrong. I have made peace with carrying single-shot 20's and .410 and have weaned myself out of the turkey gun of the month club. SXS guns for quail and woodcock hunted over my Brittanys are another matter. I have all the guns I need, but not all that I want. :D Gil

Return to “Small Bore”