Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Talk about 20, 16, & 28 gauge and .410 bore shotguns here.
makeumgobble
Posts: 29
Joined: January 27th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by makeumgobble » January 28th, 2018, 9:35 pm

thats just showing off, extreme overkill, no doubt hal is a tss genious but why throw uneccesarry amounts of tss at or through a turkey, id rather see a 1 1/8 load of tss in a 410 shell myself, now that would be impressive

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 688
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 29th, 2018, 6:50 pm

divotman8 wrote:
January 29th, 2018, 6:17 pm
what is Hals contact info thanks
Email hganc@aol.com
(919) 612-2270

User avatar
bowhunter2k9
Posts: 230
Joined: February 22nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by bowhunter2k9 » January 30th, 2018, 10:53 am

makeumgobble wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 9:35 pm
thats just showing off, extreme overkill, no doubt hal is a tss genious but why throw uneccesarry amounts of tss at or through a turkey, id rather see a 1 1/8 load of tss in a 410 shell myself, now that would be impressive
Showing off? Everything about TSS is extreme overkill... I'll gladly pay the extra $1.50 per round to go from 1 5/8 oz to 2 1/8 oz of TSS. This MOA load could finally bridge the gap between too hot of a core and 50/50 pattern guys. you could literally get a 350/350 pattern with this load if you have the perfect combo. it makes it forgiving AND extremely hot core.

If you wanna whine about innovation in TSS, go back to lead loads. (I find it interesting you have 1 post and it just happened to be here)

BRAVO HAL!

Jstocks
Posts: 104
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by Jstocks » January 30th, 2018, 11:17 am

Wonder if it would eject/feed through an Affinity?

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 688
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 30th, 2018, 11:32 am

Jstocks wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:17 am
Wonder if it would eject/feed through an Affinity?
I couldn't get them even close to being short enough to cycle in my M2, I also think the recoil would be brutal on a auto. I think I will just stick with 1 5/8 loads.

User avatar
kythunter
Posts: 147
Joined: April 23rd, 2015, 12:24 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by kythunter » January 30th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Great pattern! Good job!

JonEReb
Posts: 6
Joined: May 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by JonEReb » January 30th, 2018, 8:28 pm

They cycle fine in a Remington 870.

JonEReb
Posts: 6
Joined: May 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by JonEReb » January 30th, 2018, 8:31 pm

They cycle fine in a Remington 870.

User avatar
bowhunter2k9
Posts: 230
Joined: February 22nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by bowhunter2k9 » January 31st, 2018, 9:08 am

turkeyinstrut wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:32 am
Jstocks wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:17 am
Wonder if it would eject/feed through an Affinity?
I couldn't get them even close to being short enough to cycle in my M2, I also think the recoil would be brutal on a auto. I think I will just stick with 1 5/8 loads.
What's the longest that will cycle for you? Now you have me worried about my Stoeger m3020 cycling these (will be loading some this week)

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 688
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by turkeyinstrut » January 31st, 2018, 9:30 am

bowhunter2k9 wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 9:08 am
turkeyinstrut wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:32 am
Jstocks wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:17 am
Wonder if it would eject/feed through an Affinity?
I couldn't get them even close to being short enough to cycle in my M2, I also think the recoil would be brutal on a auto. I think I will just stick with 1 5/8 loads.
What's the longest that will cycle for you? Now you have me worried about my Stoeger m3020 cycling these (will be loading some this week)
The shells that I have loaded up now are 2.570 and anything over 2.600 won't cycle in my M2, if I were you I would just load up 1 or 2 and make sure they cycle before you load a bunch of them.

reminex
Posts: 102
Joined: June 5th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by reminex » January 31st, 2018, 7:34 pm

I have found 2.65 to cycle in everything I've tried, I was convinced it was the magic number. Have not tried the m2 or 3020 though. It will definitely work in the chamber though with 1 5/8 back ups.

coconut
Posts: 254
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by coconut » January 31st, 2018, 8:04 pm

Wonder what could be loaded in 3.5 12 out of Remington

Gar Commander
Posts: 294
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by Gar Commander » January 31st, 2018, 9:16 pm

Simple solution. Load one of the 2 1/8 oz in the barrel and fill the magazine with 2 3/4 shells. 99% of all the turkeys killed are on first shot. Didn't yall know that?

User avatar
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1356
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 11:55 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by Reloader » February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am

It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 688
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by turkeyinstrut » February 1st, 2018, 10:46 am

Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am
It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.
What do you think the recoil could be compared to?

User avatar
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1054
Joined: April 25th, 2013, 9:26 am
Location: Middle GA

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by howl » February 1st, 2018, 11:29 am

makeumgobble wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 9:35 pm
thats just showing off, extreme overkill, no doubt hal is a tss genious but why throw uneccesarry amounts of tss at or through a turkey, id rather see a 1 1/8 load of tss in a 410 shell myself, now that would be impressive
There's a lot of unused space in a 3" brass shell. Pressure shouldn't be an issue with the overbuilt steel frame single shot .410s, at least not over the short term. Which is to say I don't think anyone would blow themselves up before they noticed the action getting loose. The hulls have a crazy thick base, and the .410s we're talking about have at least a half inch of steel around the chamber. You'll have to work around the lack of a wad to hold enough shot.

I can't say I'm interested in that part of the hobby, though. The attraction to TSS handloads for me is being able to shoot lighter loads in lighter guns. If I wanted to carry a heavy cannon, I'd've stuck with lead.

But ,yeah, 2.125 is beyond imagination. :thumbup:

reminex
Posts: 102
Joined: June 5th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by reminex » February 1st, 2018, 5:53 pm

Weather permitting, I'm gonna give the MOA a go Sunday with a couple pumps. I'm not expecting horrible recoil, but I'll let y'all know.

User avatar
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1356
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 11:55 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by Reloader » February 1st, 2018, 9:10 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:46 am
Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am
It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.
What do you think the recoil could be compared to?
This load will have 84 ftlbs of recoil

For comparison a 12ga 3.5 with 2oz load at 1300 only has 75ftlbs. 84 is one heck of a recoil IMO. It’s going to kick noticeably harder than say a 3.5” Longbeard. Just food for thought. Keep in mind 20ga autos were not designed for that kind of abuse.

I’m not putting down the load at all guys, Hal does great work. Just something to keep in mind for valuable equipment.

BumbleFoot
Posts: 157
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by BumbleFoot » February 1st, 2018, 9:43 pm

turkeyinstrut wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:46 am
Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am
It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.
What do you think the recoil could be compared to?
Just a hunch, but I’d say a “haymaker” from Iron Mike Tyson in his heyday... :shock:

User avatar
turkeyinstrut
Posts: 688
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by turkeyinstrut » February 1st, 2018, 9:59 pm

BumbleFoot wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:43 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:46 am
Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am
It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.
What do you think the recoil could be compared to?
Just a hunch, but I’d say a “haymaker” from Iron Mike Tyson in his heyday... :shock:
IRON MIKE TYSON?????........You don't suppose it would tear my ear off do ya? :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

swampchicken
Posts: 384
Joined: March 17th, 2014, 6:12 pm
Location: Central Missouri

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by swampchicken » February 1st, 2018, 10:32 pm

Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:10 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:46 am
Reloader wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:32 am
It's going to be very interesting to see how long the lugs hold up in the autos mentioned.
What do you think the recoil could be compared to?
This load will have 84 ftlbs of recoil

For comparison a 12ga 3.5 with 2oz load at 1300 only has 75ftlbs. 84 is one heck of a recoil IMO. It’s going to kick noticeably harder than say a 3.5” Longbeard. Just food for thought. Keep in mind 20ga autos were not designed for that kind of abuse.

I’m not putting down the load at all guys, Hal does great work. Just something to keep in mind for valuable equipment.
I have always wondered how much wear and tear loads like these(heavy payloads in all gauges) do to auto's that were not designed for such punishment.

reminex
Posts: 102
Joined: June 5th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by reminex » February 1st, 2018, 10:38 pm

I can't wait to have a real life trial. OP said not as bad as a longbeard and I hardly even know the 1 5/8 shot save the bang. I'll take his word for now, gonna let the super Bantam take it first.

User avatar
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1054
Joined: April 25th, 2013, 9:26 am
Location: Middle GA

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by howl » February 2nd, 2018, 9:01 am


User avatar
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1138
Joined: June 27th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by el diablo » February 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am

I have shot Barry's 3 oz load, Tommy's fast 2.5oz load, Hal's 1 7/8oz 20 gauge, Hal's 1 5/8oz lil zip, Hal's MOA, Hal's quick 2.25oz load, and Barry's 2.25oz load. Performance is awesome on all of these. They all dislike my shoulder, but I don't think they would bother anyone while shooting a turkey. I don't think you are helping any gun parts shooting any of these in an auto, but don't think just shooting turkeys alone would be enough repetition to damage the gun's parts.
That said I have settled on a nice comfy 1175 fps 1 7/16oz load to hunt with.

makeumgobble
Posts: 29
Joined: January 27th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Re: Hal’s 2 1/8oz 20ga load

Post by makeumgobble » February 3rd, 2018, 7:05 am

el diablo wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 9:33 am
I have shot Barry's 3 oz load, Tommy's fast 2.5oz load, Hal's 1 7/8oz 20 gauge, Hal's 1 5/8oz lil zip, Hal's MOA, Hal's quick 2.25oz load, and Barry's 2.25oz load. Performance is awesome on all of these. They all dislike my shoulder, but I don't think they would bother anyone while shooting a turkey. I don't think you are helping any gun parts shooting any of these in an auto, but don't think just shooting turkeys alone would be enough repetition to damage the gun's parts.
That said I have settled on a nice comfy 1175 fps 1 7/16oz load to hunt with.
his 1 7/16 load has been my favorite for the last 8-9 years, if someone could ever get a .410 1 1/8 load though that might change

Post Reply

Return to “Small Bore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests