Really Dumb Question......But I Gotta Ask

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Really Dumb Question......But I Gotta Ask

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I know this might seem like a really dumb question but I gotta ask anyway, as many of you already know I am having issues with the TPS wads being too small in the Cheddite hulls. My question is, is it possible for the wads to fit too tight? I have figured out a way to increase the O.D. of the gas seal on the wads with a cordless drill and a 11/32" socket, problem is now they are real snug in the hulls and it seems like I can't find a happy medium. Soooo is there such a thing as the wads being too tight??..............And I know......it's a dumb question.
crenshawco

Re: Really Dumb Question......But I Gotta Ask

Post by crenshawco »

I wouldn't think so. Seems like the tighter it is, the better gas seal it would create. It would also prevent powder migration most likely
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

Friction increases pressure.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bullethead wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 2:21 pm Friction increases pressure.
Absolutely true..................BUT..........Doesn't the gas seal on the wad expand upon ignition which expands the gas seal which creates friction? I'm just pre-expanding it.........Yes..........No...........Maybe???
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

Are you using Mica Wad Slick on the wads? I'd think it would be less friction if you were.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

turkeyinstrut wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 3:07 pm
bullethead wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 2:21 pm Friction increases pressure.
Absolutely true..................BUT..........Doesn't the gas seal on the wad expand upon ignition which expands the gas seal which creates friction? I'm just pre-expanding it.........Yes..........No...........Maybe???
With hand loads ANY change in components after a load is tested can effect pressure. It may lower, raise or stay the same. But the only way to know for sure is to send em away. And when doctoring a wad you have to hope that you do it consistently and that it stays doctored and does not return to its normal shape.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

DC1. wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 5:24 pm Are you using Mica Wad Slick on the wads? I'd think it would be less friction if you were.
That stuff works well.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

DC1. wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 5:24 pm Are you using Mica Wad Slick on the wads? I'd think it would be less friction if you were.
No I am not but I think I'll order a jar to use on them, I measured the O.D. of the gas seals after expanding them and they are only .003 to .005 bigger than the I.D. of the hulls so it shouldn't be a problem................I think.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I talked to Hal about it, he said they should work fine. Thanks fellers.

Return to “Small Bore”