Remington 870- which red dot mount?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
VALongbeard

Remington 870- which red dot mount?

Post by VALongbeard »

Guys,
I have 3 870s I am setting up right now. I have been acclimated to shooting scopes on my shotguns since I use scopes for deer hunting as well. However, I have come to realize what the benefits of a reflex style red dot will be for me in turkey hunting situations, and I would like your guys opinion on the mount system......

I am going to be utilizing the Vortex Venom red dots, essentially a Burris Fastfire style sight with a couple of added features. Here is where I will throw the wrench in the mix for yall.....what red dot mount to use? I do not have the desire to drill and tap these shotguns, as I don't have anyone local that I trust, and I really don't want to ship the guns out.

So, I have been using Aimtech saddle mounts on 870s for years. They are a very good mount in my experience. I know lots of people do not like them, but they have served me well. Just a little bulky. I also see aimtech has a mount they call the "rib-rider" which is a small mount that clamps to the vent rib. If you were choosing between these two options, which mount would you use. I know the saddle mount will work, but I have thought about trying the rib rider mount, just not sure how stable it would be on the rib. Anyone who has some input, I would greatly appreciate it. One thing I have also thought about with the rib rider is how far away from your eye that will place the sight away. Just looking for some good opinions here to help me make my decision. Once again, thanks guys.
RapscallionVermilion

Re: Remington 870- which red dot mount?

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

You might look at the B-Square Universal Cantilever if you are wanting to mount the red dot over the receiver without a drill and tap. I've been using one for a scope on my 870 and it has worked just fine. I hear you on the local drill and tap. I had my 11-87 drilled and tapped locally and the mount was crooked just enough to put me outside the range of the FastFire III. Burris rescued me on that one by sending me a new mount for free with one of the holes offset. One aspect of cantilever or rib mounts that I really appreciate is the ease with which you can check the red dot or scope against the bore sight image.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Yes, drilling and tapping would obviously be the best way.....if there was someone local to me that I would trust. However, I'm not letting just anyone touch my shotguns.

Thanks for the reply, I have seen the b square mount. How secure is that mount on the rib, that is what is holding me back a little on them?Just wasn't too sure on how secure they would be. They sure are a cleaner option than the saddle mount. That's for sure. I do like the idea of the vent rib mounted optics for the fact they would hold zero when the barrel is removed. You don't get that with receiver mounted optics on a shotgun.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I really like the Speed Bead mount, it sets low enough that you can sight right down your rib and use your bead if your battery were to go dead. I have a Speed Bead mount on my M2 and I love it.
RapscallionVermilion

VALongbeard wrote:Yes, drilling and tapping would obviously be the best way.....if there was someone local to me that I would trust. However, I'm not letting just anyone touch my shotguns.

Thanks for the reply, I have seen the b square mount. How secure is that mount on the rib, that is what is holding me back a little on them?Just wasn't too sure on how secure they would be. They sure are a cleaner option than the saddle mount. That's for sure. I do like the idea of the vent rib mounted optics for the fact they would hold zero when the barrel is removed. You don't get that with receiver mounted optics on a shotgun.
It sure seems pretty secure. If it is up to holding my scope it ought to hold a red dot just fine. It has two mounting plates top to bottom and four set screws side to side. I did use blue loctite on all the screws. I would recommend mounting so that one of the top to bottom mounting plates is up against a vented rib post. The 870s have pretty stout ventilated ribs which is a plus.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

What part of VA are you in? The reason I ask is I have a Rem 870 20 gauge SPS that they don't make anymore. I have a good friend that turned me onto a guy in WV who drilled and tapped my 20. I was very leary due to it being a special gun. He did a great job and I would recommend him. I'm in the Winchester area.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

I'm in the Martinsville area, down near the North Carolina border. Just have no one local I trust at all.
SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN »

Sumtoys mount no questions. Break down your gun and ship receiver to William and he will did you up.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

OK, well that won't work. Oh well it was worth a try. Good luck in what you decide.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Thanks to everyone so far for their input. I really appreciate it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

You don't need to go full cantilever to take advantage of a rib mount. Search for what Jamey has on his vent rib shotgun. He uses an inexpensive mount. Red dots are meant to be used on pistols held at arms length so there's no need to bring the RD back over the receiver with a full cantilever as you would a non-extended relief scope. But you raise the best part about a rib mount on an auto or a pump. The barrel can be taken on and off without affecting zero and zero isn't affected when you loosen or tighten the magazine cap. When I owned an SBE, I used a miserable saddle mount. I never removed the barrel from the gun because I didn't want the hassle of starting from scratch zeroing. Here's the mount he used. He trimmed off what wasn't needed:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-USA ... ics+sm6175

This thread has a photo of a rib mounted red dot using the above mount. Jamey mounted it on a friend's gun:
http://gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... MEY#p86479
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I use the B-Square mount on my Beretta 686 UL with an FF III. It is quite secure and never moves. Only drawback is that this gun is my grouse gun so I remove the mount after turkey season. It never goes back on the next year exactly like the year before so I have to re-zero. That would not be an issue on a dedicated turkey gun. I cut a small amount off the end of the mount but still have it cantilevered over the receiver. I am considering what Jamey did, cutting all the cantilevered section off and just mounting the sight out on the rib.
RapscallionVermilion

Where you mount the red dot does effect the field of view through the red dot optic. Personal preference, but I like my red dots as far back on the receiver as possible.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

RapscallionVermilion wrote:Where you mount the red dot does effect the field of view through the red dot optic. Personal preference, but I like my red dots as far back on the receiver as possible.
+1 That is exactly why I like the Speed Bead mount, it is rock solid and sits low and level with the rib. I ordered a M2 20 ga. this spring and wanted to try a FF III as I have always used a SpeedDot on my Super Mag (drilled and tapped from the factory) but wanted to go as light as possible, in the beginning I wasn't sure whether I would like the FF or the Speed Bead mount but after mounting both they are awesome. I also tried the B Square rib/cantilever mount years ago on a 3" 11-87 and had problems with it coming loose a few times but I never tried Loctite like someone else mentioned.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

I used the speed bead for a couple years when I first started using a red dot, they are good mounts but will give issues eventually.....first time I found my sight was off I drilled and tapped my receivers, best way to mount the sight.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

I really appreciate everyone's comments on this topic. It has helped me make my decision. I think I have decided to give the Aimtech Rib Rider a try. I like the idea of rib mounted optics so that you do not loose zero with barrel removal. Seems like a better option for me. This is the mount I am going to try in this link below. It is the low 2 piece I am going to try. The base looks to be about as long as the vortex venom picatinny base, so it should look very clean.

http://www.aimtech-mounts.com/rib-rider-shotgun-mounts/
SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN »

VALongbeard wrote:I really appreciate everyone's comments on this topic. It has helped me make my decision. I think I have decided to give the Aimtech Rib Rider a try. I like the idea of rib mounted optics so that you do not loose zero with barrel removal. Seems like a better option for me. This is the mount I am going to try in this link below. It is the low 2 piece I am going to try. The base looks to be about as long as the vortex venom picatinny base, so it should look very clean.

http://www.aimtech-mounts.com/rib-rider-shotgun-mounts/
Never heard of that. Removed barrel many times and never lost zero.
SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN »

Personally I would not recommend a rib rider. I'd highly recommend drill and tap and mounting it as far back as possible on the flat of the receiver as you can to your eye. The closer the red dot is to your eye the more field of view you have. The further a red dot is away from your eye the more it bottles down your vision and field of view. The best mounting solution hands down is Sumtoy's one piece base/mount.

LynetteB2024

Post by LynetteB2024 »

CamoMan4025 wrote: June 16th, 2017, 9:35 pm What part of VA are you in? The reason I ask is I have a Rem 870 20 gauge SPS that they don't make anymore. I have a good friend that turned me onto a guy in WV who drilled and tapped my 20. I was very leary due to it being a special gun. He did a great job and I would recommend him. I'm in the Winchester area.

Kevin
Hi there,
Can you please share your guy in WV that drilled and tapped your 870 20ga? Thanks in advance!

Lynette
lhsako

Post by lhsako »

SpitNDrumN wrote: June 16th, 2017, 9:59 pm Sumtoys mount no questions. Break down your gun and ship receiver to William and he will did you up.
Sumtoy is the WTG
lhsako

Post by lhsako »

SpitNDrumN wrote: June 16th, 2017, 9:59 pm Sumtoys mount no questions. Break down your gun and ship receiver to William and he will did you up.
[/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

This thread is 7 years old. You may get a response but maybe not.

Return to “Small Bore”