28 vs 20 ga for first gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
KS

28 vs 20 ga for first gun

Post by KS »

Guys,

I'm a new member here, but hunt turkeys pretty furiously and am excited to start my young twins into the sport. I've settled on either a 28 or 20 ga yildiz over and under and was wondering your thoughts on recoil of the two, and pros / cons.

Suggestions?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 28 vs 20 ga for first gun

Post by howl »

Those are both built on the same frame. The 28 feels a hair lighter, but the 20 youth holds up easier due to the shorter barrels. I think recoil will come down to which load you use, while the manual of arms will be easiest with the 20. Fiocchi has 20ga 3/4oz slow loads for targets, btw. That should be less recoil than a .410, depending.

It so happens I picked up the 20 youth version this afternoon. Gonna do 1oz loads of 10s and try to keep it relatively open for easier hits.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

KS wrote:Guys,

I'm a new member here, but hunt turkeys pretty furiously and am excited to start my young twins into the sport. I've settled on either a 28 or 20 ga yildiz over and under and was wondering your thoughts on recoil of the two, and pros / cons.

Suggestions?
Welcome aboard!!! I have the Yildiz 28ga O/U, and a Stevens 555 O/U 20ga both are built alot like. Both have pretty stout recoil for a kid with turkey loads. Especially the 20ga. Have you checked out the ATI Cavalry SX .410. With 13/16 oz of TSS #10's it awesome with the right choke, and only weighs 4.25 lbs.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A 28 gauge built on the same frame as the 20 more often weighs more than its sister 20 gauge gun. Reason for that is to accommodate same frame, the 28 gauge barrels are built thicker using the same monobloc as the 20 and the hole down the middle is smaller so chambers will line up with the firing pins. A scaled 28 gauge will be lighter than a 20 gauge. For example, the Beretta O/U set with 20 and 28 gauge barrels weighs a full pound plus more than the Beretta 28 gauge O/U that is scaled down. Another scaled double in 28 gauge is the CZ Bobwhite which is a lightweight 28 gauge. The 20 gauge is far more versatile with a range of loads compared with the 28 although folks get awesome results with the 28. This weight paradox holds true with single-shots made on the same frame. For instance, my 220B Savage .410 weighs almost 13 oz. more than my 220A 20 gauge which are apparently built on the same frame. To match holes down the middle with the firing pin, the .410's chamber walls are .3" thick--the barrels from chamber taper down with a shape reminding me of an old Coke bottle. My scaled-to-frame Yildiz single shot's chamber walls are about .18" if memory serves. If weight is a concern, weigh the gun.

P.S. 220A 20 gauge: 5 lbs., 0.7 oz.; 220B .410 5 lbs., 13.1 oz.
Last edited by GLS on June 9th, 2017, 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

If you plan to load TSS, recoil will be up to you, no matter which gun you choose. You can make the 20 recoil less than a 28 factory load if you choose to do so. It's all about payload and velocity. But I would definitely get the 20 if you do not plan to reload. Lots and lots more factory ammunition choices available for the 20 and almost always less expensive than similar 28 ga ammo.
pccutter

Post by pccutter »

I debated the same issue. I decided based on the availability of factory ammo, to go with the 20ga. I went with the ATI Turkey/Fowl and have been very pleased. I would also suggest it for a youth gun, mine has a shorter length of pull then most guns I held and the short barrels make it easy to handle and light. I would say a 3/4 or 1oz load of TSS 10s would be great for kids in this gun.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That turkey/fowl model looked neat on the youtube video I saw.

I put the Yildiz youth 20 on the scale this afternoon; 5.58#. The 20 is on the 20ga frame. The .410 O/U is on a baby frame. I would be surprised if the .410 O/U is over 5#. For reference in general terms, most of those old steel frame .410 single shots, like we all grew up with, are around 5# and have barrels at 26"+.

Return to “Small Bore”