T10s?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

T10s?

Post by howl »

Where's the reports on bird done in with TSS #10s? I'm thinking about doing a Yildiz .410 with no work done except bending the barrel. Need encouragement!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: T10s?

Post by GLS »

I've had success with the .410 and 420 per ounce of TSS. Reported to be 9.5, but I've seen others say it's #10. Whether 9.5 or 10, it's poison downrange.
P.S. I've been tempted to bend, perhaps the better word is wrap, more than a handful of gun barrels around a tree.

Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Well, that takes care of that. The 9.5s I have measure in diameter as the same as lead 9.5s. I went by this chart: http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm If 10s are 420/oz vs 9/5s at 365/oz, then I'd expect to get maybe an extra 10 in the 10" ring. I only got ~80 in the 10 when I tried my Yildiz single without a turkey choke.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you only shot once to get 80, no telling what several shots would yield. Before choking mine, I shot 88, 100, and 110. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

True. A fella could go nuts trying to track all the variables.
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

Just shot my yildiz O/U with factor full with 10's at forty yards. 153 in ten and 150 in 20", shot again with dirty barrel and got 102 and 133.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's something! The single I have appears to need to be dirty, but not too dirty. These .410s are riding the edge, I guess. A shot trap is next before another gun for me.

About T10s vs T9.5s: I got in a couple more pounds of 9.5s yesterday. A pellet from both the first pound I got and these latest measured exactly .076.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Reports have been very good on the 10s this spring. I suspect they will be a very popular size for the small bores. Had one report out of a 20 ga that is crazy, but have no reason to believe he's lying. They did very well last fall for me on wood ducks and crows....

When I first started shooting and introducing 9s for turkeys back in '06-'07, no one believed me what I told folks what they would do. Now with so many people shooting them, seems like folks are quicker to believe me on the 10s... :thumbup:
SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN »

There is a confirmed laser verified kill in texas of 89 yards with 20ga 1 5/8oz load of 10's. Broke wing and leg bones and dumped the gobbler. The gentlemen was bothered by what he had done. He wasn't proud of it. That's a whole other story. But if 10's can do that at that distance you can load them exclusively in every guage for turkey.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's good to hear for reference. I'm interested in the 10s to make a light load for a 20 and regular for a .410 if I run out of 9.5s. I'm not changing anything on that 9.5 loads. I even ordered more .22 ammo to have the same boxes to make OSCs from!

I'll be ordering 10s and asking around for an unbuffered, single cup 1oz load for the 20. Either that or do one up with BP substitute. A little smoke might keep the boy from trying to watch his turkey drop.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

hawglips wrote:Reports have been very good on the 10s this spring. I suspect they will be a very popular size for the small bores. Had one report out of a 20 ga that is crazy, but have no reason to believe he's lying. They did very well last fall for me on wood ducks and crows....

When I first started shooting and introducing 9s for turkeys back in '06-'07, no one believed me what I told folks what they would do. Now with so many people shooting them, seems like folks are quicker to believe me on the 10s... :thumbup:
I will certainly believe anything you tell me about them. :)

I've been using tss for 9 seasons now. I really hesitated to use 8s that first year; just couldn't believe shot that small could be effective. I quickly realized how wrong that idea was, though it was still several years before I tried 9s, and have now used them for several seasons. I look forward to trying the 10s next year, and will probably load up some from the last batch I bought from you very soon.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
hawglips wrote: I've been using tss for 9 seasons now. I really hesitated to use 8s that first year; just couldn't believe shot that small could be effective...
Fond memories! You were one of the first wave from the old NWTF site and GON to give it a go. I think you and Wes are about the only two left around here from back then - back in the days after I had tried to talk Kyle into offering some smaller sized shot and coming up with turkey loads. He had no interest, since he was getting out of the business, and so I decided to do it myself. If my wife knew how much money I have blown (and continue to blow) developing the loads - I might be single. But it's been a labor of love for me - in spite of all the resistance. All those "experts" over on Shotgunworld had lots of interesting things to say about me. And the old fellow over on that site that remains unmentioned... he still holds it all against me. And it really hit the fan when word of those long shots with 9s my brother messed up on got out. But it's all good. Those were the days! All the new guys take the shot size and payloads we're loading for granted, but have no idea what went into figuring it out from scratch. And then all the new guys selling the shot started coming out of the woodwork - including one or two who still don't believe what the small shot will do...

I've been shooting the 9-1/2s - in the 28 ga and .410 especially - for several years now. But I believe the 10s will turn out to be the go-to size for the .410 at least - for ballistics match-up reasons.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Yep. I still remember the first batch I bought from you, when you and your family were headed to Tn and met me at my exit on I-40. Had to have looked like a drug deal, what with two cars parked side by side and one guy handing over a wad of cash to another guy handing over a baggie of something pretty expensive. Guess in a way it was - still addicted to the stuff 10 years on. Thanks again for your pioneering efforts.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I knew you two guys were a little shady.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

i kind of miss the good old days when almost everybody spazzed out when you told them you were shooting 9s
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Turkinator wrote:i kind of miss the good old days when almost everybody spazzed out when you told them you were shooting 9s
Kind of like when the moron labeled Fed HW 7s as magic pixie dust that couldn't kill turkeys & that 20s were for women & kids. He must be sh***ing bricks by now.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

bullethead

Post by bullethead »

hawglips wrote:
hawglips wrote: I've been using tss for 9 seasons now. I really hesitated to use 8s that first year; just couldn't believe shot that small could be effective...
Fond memories! You were one of the first wave from the old NWTF site and GON to give it a go. I think you and Wes are about the only two left around here from back then - back in the days after I had tried to talk Kyle into offering some smaller sized shot and coming up with turkey loads. He had no interest, since he was getting out of the business, and so I decided to do it myself. If my wife knew how much money I have blown (and continue to blow) developing the loads - I might be single. But it's been a labor of love for me - in spite of all the resistance. All those "experts" over on Shotgunworld had lots of interesting things to say about me. And the old fellow over on that site that remains unmentioned... he still holds it all against me. And it really hit the fan when word of those long shots with 9s my brother messed up on got out. But it's all good. Those were the days! All the new guys take the shot size and payloads we're loading for granted, but have no idea what went into figuring it out from scratch. And then all the new guys selling the shot started coming out of the woodwork - including one or two who still don't believe what the small shot will do...

I've been shooting the 9-1/2s - in the 28 ga and .410 especially - for several years now. But I believe the 10s will turn out to be the go-to size for the .410 at least - for ballistics match-up reasons.
Snif...snif...I feel left out :lol:
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

hawglips wrote:

We did catch a lot flak from a lot of people. The guys on shotgunworld were not very kind to me either. :). You told me to ignore them and got me through loading those first 3.5" shells, and Reloader helped a whole lot too. And it was all just a waste of time and money; a 20 gauge was all I needed. :)

My 67 yd flying shot on a wounded turkey that first year was not spoken of very highly either; a lot of folks missed the part about him being wounded and flying like a woodpecker. But I'll never forget the feeling of relief when he folded up like a quail. Lots of good memories regarding turkey hunting and tss over these 9 years; thanks to all here who helped me out.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Good times....
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Dang, this thread is like a roll down memory lane. LOL It is crazy to see how the realm of performance in turkey ammo has progressed, in just the last 10-15 yrs.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Ordered 5 lbs of 10's from Hal today! Gonna try it in the 410 and 28.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

bullethead wrote: Snif...snif...I feel left out :lol:
Matt, I forgot you were over here on this board now! My bad!!!
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

Jamey wrote:Ordered 5 lbs of 10's from Hal today! Gonna try it in the 410 and 28.
What is the pellet ct per oz. on Hal's 10's now?
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

crenshawco wrote:
Jamey wrote:Ordered 5 lbs of 10's from Hal today! Gonna try it in the 410 and 28.
What is the pellet ct per oz. on Hal's 10's now?

500/oz I believe
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

hawglips wrote:
bullethead wrote: Snif...snif...I feel left out :lol:
Matt, I forgot you were over here on this board now! My bad!!!
Hal, you know me long enough to know I am just busting your potatoes.
But thanks for forgetting about me :thumbup:
Lolololololol
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.

Return to “Small Bore”