28 gauge ATI Calvary

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
yelpy

28 gauge ATI Calvary

Post by yelpy »

Anyone shooting one? Whats your take on them and what choke/chokes you running your tss through?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 28 gauge ATI Calvary

Post by howl »

There's a pretty detailed review on here by...toasty, I think. Upshot is they might be a hair rougher than the Stevens 555 version. I was looking at getting one through galleryofguns for the lifetime warranty. Need to check with ATI or Stevens and galleryofguns to see how close they warrant the barrel regulation to hold.

To add on, does anyone know if the ATI version has a cast or neutral stock? The Stevens I checked at Bass Pro was cast off for RH users.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I was looking for something like that last night but could not come up with anything. I did a search and got some 20 and 410's but no 28's.
toasty

Post by toasty »

I use a .531 Carlson extended choke on mine and it prints really tight. My kids all used that gun for their fall turkey hunts and it worked great except at 15 yards the pattern in the size of a baseball causing a couple misses. I was going to fiddle with my tss load to open the pattern a little bit for them. Sorry no pics of the pattern and I can't even remember the numbers I was shooting. Will try to look it up tonight.

I will add that this gun doubled once this year with Hal's 1 1/8oz tss load. It has mechanical triggers and in my opinion does not handle heavy hot loads very well. I am sure if I loaded it down a couple grains, it would be fine. No issues at all with any other loads since I have had it.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

yelpy

Post by yelpy »

toasty wrote:I use a .531 Carlson extended choke on mine and it prints really tight. My kids all used that gun for their fall turkey hunts and it worked great except at 15 yards the pattern in the size of a baseball causing a couple misses. I was going to fiddle with my tss load to open the pattern a little bit for them. Sorry no pics of the pattern and I can't even remember the numbers I was shooting. Will try to look it up tonight.

I will add that this gun doubled once this year with Hal's 1 1/8oz tss load. It has mechanical triggers and in my opinion does not handle heavy hot loads very well. I am sure if I loaded it down a couple grains, it would be fine. No issues at all with any other loads since I have had it.
Thanks for the info!!! I hope it doesn't double but it might help too. LOL! I planned on shooting the 1 5/16oz load Hal sent me. I wander if I should go with a lighter load than if I can get some data. Maybe tss 10's and the light load or lower pressure load. It does have an aluminum frame so I don't think its good to shoot a hot load anyway.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Got the choke ordered. Is there enough room to put 2 extended chokes in, one in the upper and one in the lower barrel?
toasty

Post by toasty »

yelpy wrote:Got the choke ordered. Is there enough room to put 2 extended chokes in, one in the upper and one in the lower barrel?

Yes. They fit in both barrels.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Sounds good! I might run 2 extended chokes. I am guessing the bottom barrel will shoot a bit low but I am hoping not.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

If you look down the vent rib from the muzzle end, does the buttstock angle off to the left?
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

howl wrote:If you look down the vent rib from the muzzle end, does the buttstock angle off to the left?
I looked at a 4-10 today. The stock is centered up. No left or right cast off.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks. Stevens 555 I looked at was a righty. I'm going to try to find some to weed through to find a neutral, I think.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Well I picked up the 28 today and took it to the patterning board. Here is the best I came up with, with what I had loaded up. I was shooting the factory improved mod choke on this pattern. The factory full and Carlsons extended full seemed over choked. I had spotty patterns with them. The gun is shooting left a bit for me which didn't surprise me.
20170412_153155.jpg
Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Here is the back of the same target
20170412_153212.jpg
Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Return to “Small Bore”