Shotguns that don't need optics (need one)

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
yelpy

Shotguns that don't need optics (need one)

Post by yelpy »

Ok guys I am tired of playing with red dots and such and I am looking for 20 and 28 gauge shotguns that shoot POI without having to add optics to the gun.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Shotguns that don't need optics (need one)

Post by GLS »

Good luck. Even among same models there's a difference. Go back to lead and use Kentucky windage and your range close.
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

My compact 870 is dead on with the bead. I had a middle bead put on it just to help me keep my head down, but I don't run any sights on mine.
MAK

Post by MAK »

both my compact 870's shoot point of aim - but my old trifocaled eyes can't see beads / bird at same time.

went to tru glow peep site - forget name - works great for me.

good luck in your search
MAK
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

Both of my shotguns shoot poa with the factory beads. M2 20ga and SBE2.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

For any particular gun, you won't know until you try.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

And to make things even more fun, POI can change by choke and load selection, too.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

taylorjones20 wrote:Both of my shotguns shoot poa with the factory beads. M2 20ga and SBE2.
My M2 20 and 12 both shoot POA. Well, my 20 shoots about 3-4" high which is perfect for me.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I haven't owned or shot a Benelli that didn't shoot high.
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

yelpy wrote:I haven't owned or shot a Benelli that didn't shoot high.
I guess my buddies and I that have them are just lucky. I can think of close to a dozen benellis between us and they all shoot poa. I have had 2 brownings, a gold and maxus that both shoot low left. And a beretta a400 that shot so far left it was crazy.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Benelli has had a reputation for years of not shooting to bead.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

yelpy wrote:I haven't owned or shot a Benelli that didn't shoot high.
Change the stock shim till it doesn't
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm with you on not liking sights, etc. I do otherwise where necessary, but anything other than putting that white head on top of the brass bead offends my sensibilities. I use just the bead on my 20ga Yildiz O/U. Those Federal #7 loads are pretty tight, too.

We've posted on this before, but the short version is some companies will correct POI and some won't.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Keep in mind that the guns are designed to fit the average sized guy, if you are large or small it will cause issues. With a single barreled gun a trip to a good gun smith or even just playing with spacers provided in many guns will give you the poi/poa you want!!!

Think about it, take the same gun and give it to a guy with a narrow face and he is likely looking straight down the barrel, now give the same gun to a guy with a melon like a pumpkin and that sucker is pointed way left for a right handed shooter!
coconut

Post by coconut »

The shims have never worked for me. I am going to align everything the same with the shim or without. My head maybe crooked into a different position but everything is going to align the same.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmt9hoasuA

Different than shims but same concept, i know it is different than wing shooting but adjusting the gun fit will move poi.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Changing shims to change comb do not change the POI when using the bead to aim. They change how the gun mounts and will affect the POI when wing shooting, but it will do little or nothing if using the bead for turkey hunting.

Changing loads can change the POI. Different spacers in different thicknesses under the shot can change the POI on the load. Reducing the powder charge can also affect the POI. Bottom line, I know of no other way but to test each gun with the load you want to shoot. My benellis all shoot high for the bead, they actually design it this way as they are designed to view the target above the barrel. Most american guns usually shoot at the bead as they think people want the bead to be on the target.

My 28ga Weatherby Sa-08 shoots at the bead at 40 yards with TSS. Most of my other guns shoot 4-10" above the bead at 40 yards with TSS. Most of those same guns shoot right at the bead with most lead loads. TSS just patterns high in my guns.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

So if you change the way you anchor the gun it will not effect poi? It will change the angle you are looking at the bead...if you bury your face into it and look flat down the rib it won't change but with normal cheek pressure it would have to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toasty

Post by toasty »

Dtrkyman wrote:So if you change the way you anchor the gun it will not effect poi? It will change the angle you are looking at the bead...if you bury your face into it and look flat down the rib it won't change but with normal cheek pressure it would have to change.
I agree with you. If you change the comb (anchor) and are OK with the either the rib being visible or the bead not being visible or only partially visible, it will change the POI. That is why comb changes work for wingshooting, most guys are not aiming down the rib and putting a bead on the target.

However, If you change the comb and look down the barrel and see the exact same thing before the comb change, your POI will not change.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Exactly. He said it much better than me.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

I have never seen a shotgun that "fits" properly when I am slumped down against a tree with a knot sticking in my back and the bird off at an unusual angle so that I am having to twist around to get a shot. You point a shotgun for wing shooting but you AIM it for turkey hunting and fit has nothing to do with aiming...only pointing.
Yerple

Post by Yerple »

My Benelli shoots high guess now I know why.

My 1100 Lt. 20ga is dead on.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I have quite a collection of guns set up for turkeys. I own 3 that shoot true to the bead. M2 20, Franchi 48AL 28, and the top barrel of a Yildiz O/U 12. Just keep buying guns....at some point you might get lucky. As far as Benelli's go...most I've shot, shoot where they are meant to shoot. High. I could feasibly shoot the bead on my SBE2, it's not quite as high as most I've shot. And toasty's right, shims don't do squat to fix that.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Try a Williams fire sight or tru glo adjustable gobble dot.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Glad Mike and Jamey said this. I've been sayin it for years. Shimming and stock adj work in wing shooting. Not in aiming down the rib to the bead.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Small Bore”