28 ga. speed bird test.

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
madmike1977

28 ga. speed bird test.

Post by madmike1977 »

Got to test my new 28 gauge tristar viper g2 out on some little gray speed birds today. I was very impressed .I've always hunted dove with 12 gauge, but that little 28 with an improved modified sporting clays choke will flat out smash them at 35 with a 3/4 oz. load of 8s. I got an unofficial limit with it on public land today. i say unofficial because i lost 3 out of the 15 bird limit when they fell in standing sunflower and tall grass. The other bird landed right in the middle of the south branch of the potomac. Had some idiots that were shooting at everything that moved, pushing me from one spot to another. So i called that good enough before they shot me. Never seen anyone walk a river bank and roost shoot doves like they were before. Pretty sure they were shooting yellow finches and barn swallows as well.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 28 ga. speed bird test.

Post by GLS »

Hat's off to you with 12 recovered on a public shoot with a 28 ga. State limit in Ga. is 15, but on all private fields we hunt, the group imposes a 12 bird limit. We try to leave the field early to insure the survivors come back before roost to feed and we feel leaving the 3 extra per gun in the field helps us attract new birds and have more hunts later in the season.
Here's a 12 bird limit from Sunday. Gun is a sliding breech 16 gauge French Darne, made in the early 1920s. 2 .5", 7/8 oz. #7.5 Polywads
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Very nice!
madmike1977

Post by madmike1977 »

Pretty scattergun you got there! I could see how that sliding breech could be fast on the dove field once you got the hang of it. Could also see a sore thumb and index finger on a fast day as well ! Wish i would have taken pics of my birds, by the time i remembered they were already butchered.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Yellow Finches and Barn Swallow taste better than doves but it take a lot more for a decent meal unless you get lucky and get a Robin or two.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Gil, you're my hero
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Waddle Whacker wrote:Gil, you're my hero
This^^^
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Thanks, guys, but "hero" uncomfortably rhymes with "zero". :) Gil
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Gil, that is a beautiful Darne! I always wanted one back when I was a grouse fanatic
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Thanks. I have two other French doubles that are conventionally designed, break-open. We don't see a lot of French guns in the US, but make no mistake about it, they made and still make fine guns. They can be a bargain compared with similar quality US and UK doubles. Gil

Return to “Small Bore”