.410 summer project gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

.410 summer project gun

Post by GLS »

It’s fiddling with guns time of the year for me until dove and bird doggin’ seasons. I enjoy building turkey rigs out of inexpensive, hammerless, single-shot, break actions. The two I have had success with are the Yildiz .410 and Baikal MP-18, aka, IZh-18 or Remington Spartan 100 in 20 gauge. A couple of weeks ago I impulse bought a Spartan 100 in .410. It is a tub compared with the Yildiz’s 3 lbs., 3 oz. At 5 lbs., 11 oz., it weighs more than my MP-18 in 20 gauge. 26" barrel. All it needs is a red dot and trigger work to remove creep and maybe lighten a tad. Here's why it's heavier than the larger gauge: Baikal, as did Savage with its break action 220 series, uses one action frame size for all gauges, at least in subgauges. To accommodate a range of gauges, chamber thickness varies to keep the firing pin or transfer bar centered on the primer. As Yildiz markets only the .410 in a single-shot, the frame is smaller (and made from aluminum alloy) than either the .410 Savage or Baikal and the chamber wall is .18” at minimum. It is consequently lighter. The Baikal .410’s minimum wall thickness at the chamber is .30” which tapers into the rest of the barrel quickly. That’s a lot more steel. My Savage 220 in 20 gauge is lighter than my Savage in .410 because of this. Same with the Baikals. The Baikal is built like a tank in comparison to the Yildiz. The problem with the Baikal is availability. It is made in Izhevsk, Russia, home of Russian small arms manufacturing, sport and military. Baikal is owned by Kalashnikov Concern, the manufacturer of the AK for military purposes. Along came Ukraine and out went the Baikal imports to the US. The IZh-18 or MP-18 is one of the most widespread shotguns in the world. Tough and reliable, like the AK. Here’s one in use in Chile. Pato has quite a bag with his many times around the block, taped together gun:

131 in the 10” at 40. (Marks outside circle not counted) A tad patchy at 6 o'clock and 9 but I see no need to re-choke this one! I have a “go-no go” choke gauge from Galazan. This choke was so tight that the “full” choke section wouldn’t go in the barrel. Not so with a couple of Yildiz factory choked guns I have in “full”. I’ll try the brass hulls soon with this gun. I see irony in hunting the All American wild turkey with a Russian gun, shooting Red Chinese shot, out of an Italian hull, hull roll crimped with a French "sertisseur", all aimed with a German Docter red dot. C'est la vie. Gil

Last edited by GLS on June 8th, 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: .410 summer project gun

Post by Spuriosity »

A red dot and she'll be ready to hunt. Good write up Gil, and great pattern.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Nothing better than a little off time fun!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They make some neat stuff. I see where the European market gets an integrally suppressed version of that.ayne as hunting with suppressors becomes more popular here we will see some.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ran across this story in today's NYT about Kalashnikov:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/busin ... -news&_r=0
Wolframfan

Post by Wolframfan »

Great info Gil! As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Another great project Gil, and your guns don't make you pull your hair out the way my sxs projects do me.

I would love to hunt wherever Pato is - talk about a mixed bag! What is the critter behind the big rabbit? Looks like some kind of cat, but it's hard to tell.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve, these cheaper guns fit into my philosophy of rather having a $100 gun and a $1000 worth of TSS than a $1000 gun and $100 worth of lead shot. That's a European Hare, BTW. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

post removed.
Last edited by GLS on June 8th, 2016, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Nice write uo enjoyed it
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Sounds like you have some good fun ahead with that gun!
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

GLS wrote:It’s fiddling with guns time of the year for me until dove and bird doggin’ seasons. I enjoy building turkey rigs out of inexpensive, hammerless, single-shot, break actions. The two I have had success with are the Yildiz .410 and Baikal MP-18, aka, IZh-18 or Remington Spartan 100 in 20 gauge. A couple of weeks ago I impulse bought a Spartan 100 in .410. It is a tub compared with the Yildiz’s 3 lbs., 3 oz. At 5 lbs., 11 oz., it weighs more than my MP-18 in 20 gauge. 26" barrel. All it needs is a red dot and trigger work to remove creep and maybe lighten a tad. Here's why it's heavier than the larger gauge: Baikal, as did Savage with its break action 220 series, uses one action frame size for all gauges, at least in subgauges. To accommodate a range of gauges, chamber thickness varies to keep the firing pin or transfer bar centered on the primer. As Yildiz markets only the .410 in a single-shot, the frame is smaller (and made from aluminum alloy) than either the .410 Savage or Baikal and the chamber wall is .18” at minimum. It is consequently lighter. The Baikal .410’s minimum wall thickness at the chamber is .30” which tapers into the rest of the barrel quickly. That’s a lot more steel. My Savage 220 in 20 gauge is lighter than my Savage in .410 because of this. Same with the Baikals. The Baikal is built like a tank in comparison to the Yildiz. The problem with the Baikal is availability. It is made in Izhevsk, Russia, home of Russian small arms manufacturing, sport and military. Baikal is owned by Kalashnikov Concern, the manufacturer of the AK for military purposes. Along came Ukraine and out went the Baikal imports to the US. The IZh-18 or MP-18 is one of the most widespread shotguns in the world. Tough and reliable, like the AK. Here’s one in use in Chile. Pato has quite a bag with his many times around the block, taped together gun:

131 in the 10” at 40. (Marks outside circle not counted) A tad patchy at 6 o'clock and 9 but I see no need to re-choke this one! I have a “go-no go” choke gauge from Galazan. This choke was so tight that the “full” choke section wouldn’t go in the barrel. Not so with a couple of Yildiz factory choked guns I have in “full”. I’ll try the brass hulls soon with this gun. I see irony in hunting the All American wild turkey with a Russian gun, shooting Red Chinese shot, out of an Italian hull, hull roll crimped with a French "sertisseur", all aimed with a German Docter red dot. C'est la vie. Gil

Gil, I've got a 16 gauge over and under that I'm trying to put a red dot on. It's a tristar. Any advice on how to mount an optic on an over/under? Can u drill and tap it or do you have to use b square vent rib mounts. The optic is a vortex sparc 2
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

You'll have to click the link in Jamey's post to see the photo of how he did it:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9383&p=101272&hilit=rib#p101272

Spuriosity may chip in as he hunts a Beretta O/U with a red dot. Gil
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

PM sent.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation