SA459 20ga choke with TSS....

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I picked up a new SA459 the week season opened here(Impulse buy after looking at Gophert's post again). Got it Thursday, patterned Friday, and hunted it Saturday lol. That's cutting it close. Think I set a personal best on zeroing a FF with this thing. I eyeballed rib alignment, shot a lead, then shot a hevi, and the first TSS shell was a touch high. I moved it down a touch and it was dead on. I fired a couple more to make sure, then went hunting.

I didn't have time to choke hunt, so got lucky with the stock choke:

All 3 of those patterns were at a lasered 40. The last one was my favorite :D

The as is set-up is perfectly fine, but now that the season is over, I have some time to tinker with chokes a bit. Was curious what you guys have found to work best with this bore and TSS. I was thinking maybe a Indian Creek with no wad stoppers and .570 ED.

Thanks,

Loder
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: SA459 20ga choke with TSS....

Post by gophert »

There is a pretty big following with this gun and the Carlsons Ext .575. and that is what I shoot. However, it is still tight and to be honest is not much better than the factory choke that comes in it with TSS. However, it looks a little more even so I am hunting with the carslsons 575. To be honest, I think the Carlsons Ext 585 might be the perfect ticket to get around 260/230 or so.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks Tim, I may give one a shot. I need to count those patterns above. They looked plenty good. Those little pieces of tape are on the back of the paper and only about 1/2" squares. Not much room for one to escape and quite a bit of wiggle room. Maybe too open, I got a decent amount in that toms breast at 40.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

My factory extended choke in my SA-459 mic'd out the same as my Carlson's .575.......and pretty much threw the same patterns, I went with the factory because it was a little more open, not much but a little. I want to try a Indian Creek in it before next season.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Man I love my weatherby. I may end up getting the SA459 but my little SA08 keeps getting it done.

Mine patterened 278 with 9s out of a 555 indian creek and a 256 with sumtoy.
thankins88

Post by thankins88 »

I'm shooting the same gun SA459. I bought a sumtoy .562 and depending on what load I'm shooting I've got anywhere from 270-324 in the 10" circle and 190-210 in 20" circle at a lasered 40 yards with 9s. Also shooting a FF3 and it is the ticket for a tight pattern.
Attachments
image.jpeg
rtsj

Post by rtsj »

Just ordered one of these guns myself. What chokes do they take? Invector like the Mossy super bantams? Also I'm a lefty and wander if the safety can be changes like the Remington's can?

Roy

Return to “Small Bore”