Need some advice?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Cleveland48

Need some advice?

Post by Cleveland48 »

Ok guys I've been in the 20 guage game for a few years now and I'll never go back to a 12. I'm gonna get a compact 870 with 21" barrel. Already ordered stock for it. Now I can't find one lol go figure. I think a local store has a shipment coming in tomorrow hopefully. The 20 I have been using is the longer barrel 870 either 26" or 28" can't remeber. I just want to leave it set up for doves, and get the short barrel just for Turkey because I don't like using up my shells to reset the scope every spring. I have 5 boxes of hw7's new shurshot stock. My old 870 with HW7's and .570 pure gold shoots about 110 in 10 " circle at 40 yards. My old Hastings .566 throws mid 150's at 40. I picked up a carlson .575 extended choke and non ported on sale to try also. My main question is about the carlson choke ? Never have tried these any one tried them in the 870 I know the HW7's usually don't like ported chokes so that's why I tried this one. And I cannot find an ssx anywhere to try. Honestly if the short barrel will put 150's in a 10" circle like my long barrel/ hasting s combo I'll be happy. Cause it killed the crap out of a big gobbler for me last year at about 45 yards. Just seeing what you guys think.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Need some advice?

Post by Johndoe »

You will just have to try the chokes. You are going to a shorter, maybe rougher barrel. No tellin what will be the best choke.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

My daughter shoots the 21" 870 w/ the Hastings .566, but we have never used the HW #7's, but it works well with TSS. My guess it will do fine. If it shoots 150 in a 26", it will probably do 135 or so in the short barrel which is plenty. I would polish the barrel however. The carlsons will put up solid numbers as well. Unless you are chasing a certain number, both will be plenty deadly at the distances you are comfortable at shooting.
Cleveland48

Need some advice?

Post by Cleveland48 »

Ok thanks guys plan on keeping the hastings with the 26" tube for a backup , or a loaner. Looking like I may just buy another 26" cause the compacts are non-existent around here right now. Used to see them all the time now I want one and no one has on. Just my luck lol
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

Does the shorter barrel almost always put up lower #'s ? I've never actually owned or patterned a barrel shorter than 26"
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

Cleveland48 wrote:Does the shorter barrel almost always put up lower #'s ? I've never actually owned or patterned a barrel shorter than 26"
Cleveland48 wrote:Does the shorter barrel almost always put up lower #'s ? I've never actually owned or patterned a barrel shorter than 26"
Not necessarily. My 21 will out shoot my buddy's 26 with his choke.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Need some advice?

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

M2 12 with a 21 inch barrel hangs right with a longer barrel.

Done right at 200 or 210 with LB 3 inch 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re:

Post by Johndoe »

As an average I would say yes, but mostly shorter just takes a little more work to get the great patterns.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

Ok guys thanks. Found a place that priced the compact for $330 but you can buy the 26" barrel full size for $289. Trying to justify the extra cost. But honestly I've made it just fine walking around with a 26" barrel lol. I'm gonna sleep on it. Although the franchi affinity is calling my name my wife will croak if I spend that much lol
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Academy or Dicks $289. Other stores will price match. My buddy did so yesterday.

What's up with that
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

Good to know I called both so far said they should be in there next shipments. But none came in gonna hold out to see if they get some in on the next truck.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re:

Post by Spuriosity »

Cleveland48 wrote:Ok guys thanks. Found a place that priced the compact for $330 but you can buy the 26" barrel full size for $289. Trying to justify the extra cost. But honestly I've made it just fine walking around with a 26" barrel lol. I'm gonna sleep on it. Although the franchi affinity is calling my name my wife will croak if I spend that much lol
It's your money, but I'd rather have the 26" any day of the week.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Re:

Post by el diablo »

Spuriosity wrote:
Cleveland48 wrote:Ok guys thanks. Found a place that priced the compact for $330 but you can buy the 26" barrel full size for $289. Trying to justify the extra cost. But honestly I've made it just fine walking around with a 26" barrel lol. I'm gonna sleep on it. Although the franchi affinity is calling my name my wife will croak if I spend that much lol
Not fair Spur, your gun is missing 3" of reciever. lol I have hunted with 26" down to 20" very little difference in carrying through the woods for me, but wow that 20" 12 gauge I shot could make some noise.

I would get that affinity and make the other 870 the turkey gun!
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

El Diablo that has crossed my mind! Only thing I'm only so so shooting at doves right handed, and I don't like shooting an auto with my left lol. I shoot at turkeys with either hand depending on my setup cause I'm used to it from deer hunting. I use only right handed rifles now for deer. Maybe I should just practice more on flying targets with my right haha.
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

That affinity is one great feeling gun. The stoeger 3020 feels good also. I'm just so use to a pump gun.
Cleveland48

Post by Cleveland48 »

Well I found one today at the only gun store I didn't call lol. Got it set up with a mount and spare Nikon Monarch I had laying around. Installed the shurshot stock also. And I polished the barrel with the scotch brite method. Looking forward to doing some patterning in the next few weeks.
Cleveland48

Need some advice?

Post by Cleveland48 »

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Re:

Post by Spuriosity »

el diablo wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:
Not fair Spur, your gun is missing 3" of reciever.
28" on that one, 26" on the repeaters :mrgreen:

Return to “Small Bore”