Stoeger Condor

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
yelpy

Stoeger Condor

Post by yelpy »

Do you guys think a fixed full 26" barrel in a 410 would pattern well with TSS 9's or 9 1/2's? I was thinking of buying one. Its been at the local gun shop for about 2 years now and I could probably get it fairly cheap. It is also new.
N2deer

Re: Stoeger Condor

Post by N2deer »

Most people I know are shooting fix full barrels.

I'm shooting one of the little yildiz it's fixed full. Does around 120-130 @ 40 yards. Shooting the 380 ct 9s.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Sounds good. I might pick it up on Mon. I can probably get it for around $325. It is a bit heavy for a little 410 but the price is right if it will put up a decent pattern.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Orrrr....you could go find a Yildiz that weighs 3lbs for $125 :D . Honestly, I'd probably spend a few more bucks and get something with chokes if you're wanting an O/U.
My fixed full Yildiz is capable of high 140's with 9.5's. Gil, GLS, has set up a couple of those guns. I'm pretty sure one did well and one didn't do so hot and had to have work.
My O/U Yildiz, with chokes, won't break 100. I'll be having a choke made this summer. I think it's a bit of a roll of the dice, with the .410, as to wether or not the gun you purchase will produce adequate 40 yard patterns. At least if it has chokes you can pretty easily do something about it.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I been looking at the Yildiz too. I like that they aren't a fixed choke.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

You could always buy the Condor, and if it doesn't shoot tight enough for your purposes in one barrel, you can have Mike Orlen thread one of the barrels for $55, buy one of his chokes for $29 in FC. If that choke doesn't pattern tight enough, then have Sumtoy make up a choke. Sumtoy can't thread .410 barrels, only 12 and 20, but he can make the outside threads of any choke style. I sent the barrel of my single-shot Yildiz to Mike on May 8th. It was back on my porch on May 20th, done. I also had him cut the length from 28" to 24" at a small cost. I also bought the choke so that Sumtoy could match it up with one of his. I wouldn't trim a double's length as PCP has reported changes of impact after doing so. OMMV. I was hoping to shoot my recently returned Yildiz barrel this weekend, but must await the return of my stock which I sent off to Mark Larson to paint a strutter on the stock. http://www.marklarsongunart.com I thought that the stock on a back up Yildiz would fit, but it won't. Apparently there is hand fitting required which is amazing that a $129 gun requires time consuming hand fitting wood to metal.
I violated the cardinal rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" by sending the barrel off to Orlen . The barrel routinely put 110 in the 10 ring. I wanted a shorter barrel for the hell of it and to see if I could move the numbers higher. Better is the enemy of good enough.

One issue with doubles, o/u or sxs, is how close the barrels' POI's are and if you can tolerate POI/POA differences. No way to know other than to buy a gun and see.

Clay, yes, one gun performed poorly. Sumtoy sleeved a choke and the pattern went from 75 to 134 in the 10" ring at 40. It took three attempts to get the right architecture on the choke to make it work right. I was there when he did the work and it was impressive to see him at work. He removed the wad strippers. That didn't help. He shortened the length. That worked. Gil
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

Thanks for all the input so far!!! I talked to the local shop about the Yildiz shotguns and they have never heard of them. They sure seem tough to come across. Maybe a Silver Reserve or a Mossberg pump would be a better option. I am also looking into the 28 gauge because I think a 28 would be a little more practical.
turkey_slayer

Stoeger Condor

Post by turkey_slayer »

^^^ yildiz is only sold at academy sports to the best of my knowledge. I've looked through every one of our distributor catalogs and they are not in them
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

turkey_slayer wrote:^^^ yildiz is only sold at academy sports to the best of my knowledge. I've looked through every one of our distributor catalogs and they are not in them
And the last time I checked, no mail order. Last one I bought, the manager carried it outside and handed it to me in the parking lot.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

yelpy wrote:Maybe a Silver Reserve or a Mossberg pump would be a better option. I am also looking into the 28 gauge because I think a 28 would be a little more practical.
I'd be giving the Stevens 555 a look, as well.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I guess I will have to handle a couple guns to see how they fit. The Stoeger fits pretty well. I was checking out the Stevens also but I haven't been able to handle one yet. Maybe a trip to Cabelas tomorrow if they have any over/unders on hand just to handle a few and see how they feel.

Return to “Small Bore”