Yildiz barrel selector switch

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
coconut

Yildiz barrel selector switch

Post by coconut »

I have the 410 side x side model that I generally like but when I try to put it on fire with a dove flying by or rabbit running my fat thumb sometimes pushes the safety in just the right place where it want go into the fire position. I guess it doesn’t know which barrel I want so it decides not to move until I look down and move the barrel selector to the left or right. Severely messes up my shoulder point and shoot timing. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I really don’t care which barrel fires first I just want one them to fire without having to look down and line up the safety in a perfect position.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Yildiz barrel selector switch

Post by Turkinator »

I had a Winchester 101 that I had that problem with. I switched choke tubes and had the top barrel fire first, problem solved. Your thumb will favor a side of the safety/selector, with the selector already in the position your thumb is pushing toward, there’s no way it can hang in that odd middle point.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

My 20 gauge has the same issue. I have found that if I keep it as far to the right as it will go, then it's easy to just slide it forward and shoot the right barrel first. That's the one my turkey choke is in, so that's usually what I want anyway on my turkey gun.

It is difficult enough to manipulate that I have at times just gone ahead and shot a close bird with the tight choke, thus defeating the whole point of turkey hunting with a sxs gun. They should have put 2 triggers on the dang thing. I don't believe there is any system for switching triggers that works really well in upland hunting. You will have some birds to get away if you are fooling with the barrel selector while he is in range. The selection system on my Beretta is even worse than the Yildiz.

I'm working on a new sxs turkey gun now and it has the correct number of triggers.
coconut

Post by coconut »

If I knew a good gunsmith I might would get him to weld the switch where it couldn’t go left and right. Only fire and safe.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Don't know if this help with a SxS...

We have a couple of their O/Us here. If you fire from the left shoulder, like you should :D , having the safety pushed up with the gun held side-to-the-ground selects the upper barrel. If you're backward you might contrive some other memory aid.
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

coconut wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:05 pm I have the 410 side x side model that I generally like but when I try to put it on fire with a dove flying by or rabbit running my fat thumb sometimes pushes the safety in just the right place where it want go into the fire position. I guess it doesn’t know which barrel I want so it decides not to move until I look down and move the barrel selector to the left or right. Severely messes up my shoulder point and shoot timing. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I really don’t care which barrel fires first I just want one them to fire without having to look down and line up the safety in a perfect position.
I had the same problem with my Yildiz 20 gauge. I sent it back twice under warranty and when they returned it, it still did the same thing. I don't they even understood what I was trying to tell them or couldn't replicate it.

I wound up trading it in on a different gun.
poorcountrypreacher

coconut wrote: February 17th, 2019, 11:08 am If I knew a good gunsmith I might would get him to weld the switch where it couldn’t go left and right. Only fire and safe.
Dang, you guys must be having far worse issues with this than I have. On mine, you can't push the safety forward to fire if it is right in the center. It has to be either to the right side or the left side before it can go forward. This isn't a flaw; it's the way it is designed, and it isn't a system unique to Yildiz.

It's no problem at all for me to simply keep it pushed to the right when turkey hunting. I have never had a problem moving it to the fire position when I needed to get off a quick shot. Are you having trouble beyond the design of the gun?

Now selecting the barrel as a bird flushes is indeed a problem in upland hunting, and I have struggled with it a couple of times in that situation. But that is just a problem with all single trigger sxs guns. Different manufacturers use different systems, but none work as well as a double trigger. I actually like the Yildiz system better than the Beretta system. Good luck figuring it out.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I don’t think I would call it a design flaw. Mine is just slightly easier to move from left to right barrel than say a typical browning over and under. I think that is what allows my thumb to push it into a spot that isn’t left barrel or right barrel. Kinda like missing a gear in a stick shift truck.
I gave up years and years ago even thinking about trying to switch barrels on double gun during a flush or in a heated shooting situation. I am just not that talented. Much prefer 2 triggers on a double but the really nice older guns are not set up to handle the heavier than lead shot and most of the nicer new guns with 2 triggers cost more money than I am willing to spend. Especially when you don’t know if they are going to hit where they are aimed.
poorcountrypreacher

Thanks for the reply; I understand better what your problem is now.

Any of the decent guns made after about 1930 should be ok to shoot TSS as far as the pressure goes. But it's a real problem to find a reasonably priced sxs with 2 triggers to use for a turkey gun.

One of the older Berettas made from 1960 to 1990 or so would be a good candidate, but they can be hard to find. The Yildiz could be the perfect turkey gun if it only had 2 triggers.
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

I started using the Stevens 555 after my safety problems with the Yildiz. I have used the .410, 28 and 20 with TSS #9 in the top and lead #7-1/2 in the bottom and have been happy with them for an inexpensive turkey gun. I keep it on lead in case he pops up in my face and switch to TSS if further.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

It sounds like you might just need more spring pressure on the switch.

CZ Bobwhite is coming back this year. Still gonna have a backward stock, but the new version is supposed to be cheaper.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I may try to adjust it if it gets worse. I just feel nervous about fooling around with the innards of a gun.

Return to “Small Bore”