#4 lead patterns

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Sparkchaser427

#4 lead patterns

Post by Sparkchaser427 »

I would like to see some of your lead patterns with #4 shot. I would really like to shoot 4 and would like to know what to expect?Thanks
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: #4 lead patterns

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Just out of curiosity, why are you set on shooting #4s? 5s will have enough energy to kill turkeys farther than the pattern will hold together, so by using 4s your really just decreasing pattern density without gaining any real advantage. To my knowledge, not many people here shoot 4s for that reason. Or at least I haven't seen their patterns if they do. Not knocking your choice, just curious.

That being said, I think Shooter use to shoot #2s when they were legal and then switched to 4s for a while (at least I think I remember him saying that).
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on March 5th, 2014, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Sparkchaser427

Post by Sparkchaser427 »

I like 4s because there is alot of coyotes around and if one gets within about 40 or 50 yards I want something to kill them.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

The patterns are not too bad at 40, if you're shootin a 3.5 or a 10, but it's awful thin out of any 3", even if you choke the crap out of it.
The best thing you can do if you are set on Lead, is get in copper or Nickel. It will pattern a little tighter.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Some guys are posting up 120-140/10 patterns with the Winch LBs in 4s. Numbers like that were unheard of with lead 4s before the introduction of these shells.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

If you want a load that is a turkey/yote killer try TSS 8s. Yotes and turkeys to 60yds. Done.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Spuriosity wrote:Some guys are posting up 120-140/10 patterns with the Winch LBs in 4s. Numbers like that were unheard of with lead 4s before the introduction of these shells.
Yep,... If I'm remembering correctly, it was like 75ish
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

I can break 110 at 40 with a hastings 675 and the old federal premium #4
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Rockhound wrote:I can break 110 at 40 with a hastings 675 and the old federal premium #4
How many ounce, and what gun??
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Shooter wrote:
Rockhound wrote:I can break 110 at 40 with a hastings 675 and the old federal premium #4
How many ounce, and what gun??

2-1/4 and do you really have to ask??? :lol: :lol:
pccutter

Post by pccutter »

I have put up 130 avg. with win. xted 4's and you can still find them on line fairly eazy & only about $10 more then lead.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

#5 Win XRHD is like a lead #4 in energy, and will give you much better patterns. Federal Heavyweight #7s will deliver more energy than #4 lead.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

hawglips wrote:#5 Win XRHD is like a lead #4 in energy, and will give you much better patterns. Federal Heavyweight #7s will deliver more energy than #4 lead.
There ya go right there. Ditch the 4's! Friends don't let friends shoot 4's.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

It is my expectation you will find very few here with any #4 patterns. It has been proven over and over that they are not the best choice for turkeys as their patterns thin out so quickly. I carry a special shell for yotes.
Its a load of #4 TSS at 1400fps. If a yote is further than my TSS 9 load, I can just slip one in and the yote is in trouble.
My turkey load is more important as I am turkey hunting. I will not pass on a yote if I get a shot, but I am turkey hunting first.

JD

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Sparkchaser427

Post by Sparkchaser427 »

Everybody told me that I could'nt get a good pattern at 40 yards. And they were right but I had some #4 shells so I gave it a go. Pattern really fell apart after about 25 yards. I am gonna try some #6 next I shot a good pattern with the Remington nitro 6s. So I'm gonna try some more. Thanks for the remarks
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

It's not a guarantee in your gun but most consider the Rem Nitros the worst shell out there. I would try the Win and Fed first. No bashing cause I like lots of Rem stuff. Just not their Ammo. Many better choices and not all are more expensive.

What's up with that
pdqt

Post by pdqt »

Hey JD after seeing the video of those panthers in your state, I might would up the shot size in my yote load???
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

pdqt wrote:Hey JD after seeing the video of those panthers in your state, I might would up the shot size in my yote load???
Nah. I killed 3 yotes with 9s. Those #4s at 1400 would take a moose I bet. Bad medicine.
I am impatiently waiting for my 1oz TSS 4mm to come back from the lab. I hope they come back good and close to 1400fps. Should make 4mm as good as 4.5 at slower speeds. Tough on deer and anything else I come across.

What's up with that
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Johndoe wrote:
pdqt wrote:Hey JD after seeing the video of those panthers in your state, I might would up the shot size in my yote load???
Nah. I killed 3 yotes with 9s. Those #4s at 1400 would take a moose I bet. Bad medicine.
I am impatiently waiting for my 1oz TSS 4mm to come back from the lab. I hope they come back good and close to 1400fps. Should make 4mm as good as 4.5 at slower speeds. Tough on deer and anything else I come across.
Bad medicine indeed. Let us know how that project comes out.

Return to “Big Bore”