Winchester 1300

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Winchester 1300

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I found a deal I couldn't pass up a couple months back on an older 1300, laminate wood stock, and about a 22-23" barrel, haven't measured it. I had absolutely no need for the gun, but always thought, with that laminate wood, they were really good looking guns. This one doesn't have a scratch on it and I got it for $250. Anyway, I was thinking about screwing a JellyHead into the end and running some Hevi 3/2/7 through it. That sound like a good place to start? I'm not very familiar with the WinChoke system, or Winchester guns/bore diameters in general. This will just be an extra/backup/lender gun. I've been shooting a 20 for about the last 5 seasons, and really can't forsee myself going back to the 12 any time soon. I just can't help myself sometimes. Thanks for any and all help guys.....I know it kicks!
Clay
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
jasperjet

Re: Winchester 1300

Post by jasperjet »

there is a star dot on ebay for 19.99 plus free shipping
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

That's a good buy. I have a 1300 with a 21" barrel, and shoot exactly what you suggest - JH .660 with the Hevi 13 3-2-7 load. Here's a link to the pattern:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/t ... 285.0.html

As I explain in the post above, I was patterning using a broken rear fiber optic sight, which has since been replaced with a Williams. I'm averaging 270 at twice lasered 40 yards. If you can get past how this gun kicks the snot out of you, the gun/shell/choke combo is awesome.

:thumbup:
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup: ON NEW GUN !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Thanks guys. That's a smokin' pattern paboxcall. I figured someone on here had tried that exact combo. The gun came with a brand new GSX and the factory winchester extended x-full, so I'm gonna give those a try first. I've never owned one, but I have patterned guns with the GSX and just never had much luck with em. But every guns different, so I'm gonna try it first. Thanks for the replies.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

My 1300 is the NWTF Buck/Tom edition, came with two chokes: a rifled choke for slugs and a ported factory x-full that I measured to be .666 with a calibrated mic. Shot a nice even pattern, but the JH .660 was a good bit tighter. I was so pleased with those patterns I bought ten boxes of the straight 7s. Unless I get serious about hunting more than two states every year, I'll shoot those the rest of my life.

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

This one isn't any kind of special edition. Just a short barrel and a laminate stock with no engraving on the receiver. I'm definitely gonna give the JH try. Thanks again!
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

If it's one of the NWTF versions you got a great deal.. I bought the original one with vent rib and the gobbler carving with his wings up-stretched and love it.. I added a Hastings .655 choke and shot the federal 2oz. #5's since they were introduced..I've dragged it around the entire country and have never had a problem with other than the recoil is severe the older I get.. added a Nikon Turkey Pro after getting it drilled and know the old eyes work a lot better than trying to focus on the beads.
HartClemson99

Winchester 1300

Post by HartClemson99 »

I remember this gun back in '89 when it was the NWTF gun of the year. I used to stare at the ad with the gun on top of some Trebark camo. I wanted one bad growing up. I bought that gun used in '99 as a college graduation to myself. Killed a grand slam with it shooting a Comp-N-Choke XX and Win lead #5s. I killed a Grand Slam with it. I put Mossy Oak Forest Floor Camo Clad on in 2000.

I last killed a bird with it in 2005 (first pic) and retired it. I brought it out of retirement last year, I put a Nikon Turkey Pro and Primos Jelly Head loaded with Magnum Blends and shot nice SC 2 year old at about 30 yards with it (last pic).

Fine gun. Enjoy it.

SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

My hunting buddy has one but doesn't shoot it much any more. It was the best patterning gun with lead #5's that I have seen.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

SCtrkyhntr wrote:My hunting buddy has one but doesn't shoot it much any more. It was the best patterning gun with lead #5's that I have seen.
I've had two 1300s over the years, the first one I had was standard model, about 15 years ago, and shot the Winchester Supreme 2 oz. load of #5 through a Hastings .660 very well. Don't recall numbers any more, but significant improvement over the standard xfull choke that came with it.

yelpaholic

Post by yelpaholic »

I’ve got the Nwtf version . That thing kicks like a mule I’ve shot mossbergs and never had one make my arm go numb .. lol
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Waddle Whacker wrote: January 21st, 2014, 6:53 pm Thanks guys. That's a smokin' pattern paboxcall. I figured someone on here had tried that exact combo. The gun came with a brand new GSX and the factory winchester extended x-full, so I'm gonna give those a try first. I've never owned one, but I have patterned guns with the GSX and just never had much luck with em. But every guns different, so I'm gonna try it first. Thanks for the replies.
What is GSX choke?
Mike
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ncturkey wrote: March 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Waddle Whacker wrote: January 21st, 2014, 6:53 pm Thanks guys. That's a smokin' pattern paboxcall. I figured someone on here had tried that exact combo. The gun came with a brand new GSX and the factory winchester extended x-full, so I'm gonna give those a try first. I've never owned one, but I have patterned guns with the GSX and just never had much luck with em. But every guns different, so I'm gonna try it first. Thanks for the replies.
What is GSX choke?
Gobbler Stopper Xtreme
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

My son hunts with the one I bought for myself in’93... we updated with an IC choke and he’s shooting magblends.3/2/5,6,7... it’s a 40yd gun with a great pattern from 25-35yds. But, yes, it is a shoulder thumper....
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

Thinking about putting her on the block…
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

lowoctane wrote: March 25th, 2022, 6:34 am Thinking about putting her on the block…
173054C8-9852-4A0E-A264-BBBC940E6C96.jpeg
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life

Return to “Big Bore”