suggestions for a first time shotgun buyer

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: suggestions for a first time shotgun buyer

Post by Johndoe »

Shooter wrote:Geeeez Turtleman, give it a rest already, and stop arguing with all the experienced hunters with all of your Crap!
I doubt many people are taking you serious anyway, with your singing vids and all the other Crap.
Chill out already!
John is highly respected around here, and people listen to him for a reason.
You lost everyones respect quite awhile ago. Trust me, I've talked to dozens.

BTW, John,... There is only one Spur on here, and his name is Wes.
Yeah I know. Wes knows I was not at him. Ha Ha

Spur. There are 47 lines from multiple posters saying they like X gun and the OP should shop and pick his own. You have 33 lines of "I Love Mossberg Buy It" all this from 1 man. I dont want or need an argument.
He asked for advice not a sales pitch. There is a difference. Thats all I'm sayin.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
BrentM

suggestions for a first time shotgun buyer

Post by BrentM »

Thanks Johndoe never heard of one......... I'd still take one sight unseen over anything Mossberg made though. :)
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Johndoe wrote:Brent
For a while they made an A-500. Didnt do that well. Not even close to and A-5. I am sure he was talkin bout that.
Yep, they made a 500G "gas" and a 500R "recoil". I still have a 500R. One of the most beautiful shotguns you will ever see.
I was gonna give it to my Pop many years ago, cause he never had an auto, just his old Win model 12, and his 870 Express. He started talking about dragging it through the turkey woods, so he never got it,...lol. Way too pretty to beat up.
I ended up getting him a BPS 10, and a few years later, I gave him my Browning auto 10.
Black plastic stock,... I didn't give a dang how bad he beat it up.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

well what ever gun you get I wish you luck. you can make a bad shooting gun shoot great with the right set up "gun/ammo/choke" and with some luck you'll kill birds with it.

Brian :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

GOLD HUNTER wrote:well what ever gun you get I wish you luck. you can make a bad shooting gun shoot great with the right set up "gun/ammo/choke" and with some luck you'll kill birds with it.

Brian :thumbup:
I am with GOLD HUNTER on this, whatever you choose these guys can help you make a slayer out of any gun. Especially when it comes to turkeys.
42grand

Post by 42grand »

so a little background on me...i'm 31 yo arizona boy, have to kids under 2 and am no stranger to guns. my biggest reason in buying a shotgun is my wife decided she NEEDS a minivan so i told her i NEED a shotgun, handgun and a new deer rifle. :) she bit! i've started shopping around for the rifle and shotgun, hence the posting. i don't know when i will get the chance to buy any more guns so i'm making it count this time!

i've only started hunting turkey the past 5 years and have been drawn 5/6 times (1 spring and 5 fall). i can't wait to get drawn for spring again because i had to turn that hunt down for work related issues. i'm 4/5 fall hunt with a 20ga remington from the 70's, all shots under 30 yrds. i can shoot, i don't see a great need for a semi other than the fact that i can get more rounds out quicker at the migratory's. all the info has been very useful. today i went to cabelas and sportsmans warehouse and checked out a lot of options. i feel that the guns that "feel right" are the benelli nova and the 870 express. i don't want to spend a lot of money because that will be saved for my rifle setup. the $500 range is right for me at this time so i think either of these guns will do well. now for my next questions...

1. i belive the benelli has a fiber sight and the 870 has a ball. what kind of setups are you using? choke, barrel, sights, etc. if there are any links that you want to share as well, that would be fine. again, just seeing what everyone likes to use and then i will make my educated decision when the time comes. again, you all have given me a lot of options and knowledge. thanks!
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

Johndoe wrote:Brent
For a while they made an A-500. Didnt do that well. Not even close to and A-5. I am sure he was talkin bout that.
That's Correct John...A-500 Browning...Very Very Beautiful Gun!!!! It looked "almost" to Good to take to the field but the times that I did was usually Rabbit hunting. I do remember that it had a red pin Stripe and the A-500 was in Red also and it shined like Glass...I was actually hunting with a few friends with a few of their friends when a Guy asked if I would take $500 for it...That was a No Brainer so maybe he was thinking it was a A5 when he offered? Not sure...Been a few years ago.
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

Johndoe wrote:
Shooter wrote:Geeeez Turtleman, give it a rest already, and stop arguing with all the experienced hunters with all of your Crap!
I doubt many people are taking you serious anyway, with your singing vids and all the other Crap.
Chill out already!
John is highly respected around here, and people listen to him for a reason.
You lost everyones respect quite awhile ago. Trust me, I've talked to dozens.

BTW, John,... There is only one Spur on here, and his name is Wes.
Yeah I know. Wes knows I was not at him. Ha Ha

Spur. There are 47 lines from multiple posters saying they like X gun and the OP should shop and pick his own. You have 33 lines of "I Love Mossberg Buy It" all this from 1 man. I dont want or need an argument.
He asked for advice not a sales pitch. There is a difference. Thats all I'm sayin.

John
Sorry my "Opinion" came off as a Sales Pitch and "IF" I actually stated BUY A MOSSBERG!!!! I'm sorry for that as well...He asked what we shoot, Why we like it and was it a value...Just trying to help and for what it's worth...While you was at,You should have counted up all the negative feedback toward my Comments each time that I did mention I like Mossberg shotguns lol!!! I'm just trying to be a team player here Guys and I'm not perfect and not to bust anyones Ego bubble but....None of you guys are either!! Not trying to argue over nonsense because it's only logic that everyone has different opinions on everything.. For example...I don't understand why our Troops get treated the way they do but Prison bound Ball players get 4 year $50 million Dollar contracts ...MY Opinion is...It's STUPID but to some...They (The said players) are worth it. Have a Good 1 :thumbup:
Last edited by The SPURSUADER on July 9th, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

42grand wrote:so a little background on me...i'm 31 yo arizona boy, have to kids under 2 and am no stranger to guns. my biggest reason in buying a shotgun is my wife decided she NEEDS a minivan so i told her i NEED a shotgun, handgun and a new deer rifle. :) she bit! i've started shopping around for the rifle and shotgun, hence the posting. i don't know when i will get the chance to buy any more guns so i'm making it count this time!

i've only started hunting turkey the past 5 years and have been drawn 5/6 times (1 spring and 5 fall). i can't wait to get drawn for spring again because i had to turn that hunt down for work related issues. i'm 4/5 fall hunt with a 20ga remington from the 70's, all shots under 30 yrds. i can shoot, i don't see a great need for a semi other than the fact that i can get more rounds out quicker at the migratory's. all the info has been very useful. today i went to cabelas and sportsmans warehouse and checked out a lot of options. i feel that the guns that "feel right" are the benelli nova and the 870 express. i don't want to spend a lot of money because that will be saved for my rifle setup. the $500 range is right for me at this time so i think either of these guns will do well. now for my next questions...

1. i belive the benelli has a fiber sight and the 870 has a ball. what kind of setups are you using? choke, barrel, sights, etc. if there are any links that you want to share as well, that would be fine. again, just seeing what everyone likes to use and then i will make my educated decision when the time comes. again, you all have given me a lot of options and knowledge. thanks!
Both pump Guns you mention are proven performers...Seems everyone has a 870 and there's a reason for that.. They WORK!!! I myself have a scope on my Turkey Gun with a Turkey reticle and after years of being a Welder It helps but does have it's pros and cons.. For example, Pro...I can tweak it to get the best range for my ammo choice...Con...I slip, Fall and knock it off and for this reason, I have quick detach mounts on mine also. Even With my Turkey Gun being a Auto, It's still rare I get a follow up shot when I miss because of the fixed power scope and trying to get back on a fleeing Target lol and recently I purchased a Set of Williams Fiber Optic adjustable sights from the Classifieds here on GN and plan on trying them and going without the Scope next season.. As far as chokes... That will depend on what your Gun Choice Likes OR Ammo Choice...I sold a $70 Kicks Gobblin Thunder Choke tube here on GN and went back to my Wally World $20 Primos Tight-Wad because that's what my Gun likes shooting Factory off the shelf Turkey Loads...You can spend a small fortune on Chokes, Loads ETC trying to get what your happy with...If you have friends that shoot similar Guns, Maybe try their choke or Loads or maybe Split a Box or so and that will narrow your search...It's tough buying a $70 Choke thinking for that price it HAS to be Great, Only to find out your Gun doesn't like it and you sell it a month later for half Price...Anyway, Best of Luck to ya with whatever Combo you choose and Be safe!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I like both those guns. Both can be found at a good price and in camo. You can get the 870 in camo at Wally World for $357. I dont think you can get the Nova there but others have it and I bet close to the same price.
I would give the edge to the 870 as you will find accessories for it more readily available. Everyone has chokes and stuff for them. Not so much the Nova.
Good luck

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's really easy. If you only own one shotgun it should be a 12 gauge pump or double barrel. As you like the 870, might as well go with that. (I would've suggested a Mossberg 500!) 26" barrels are most versatile. You can stick a sight or fiber optic on it, but it is not any better than the plain old bead 90% of the time. With a gun so commonly used, you have the advantage of looking around the web to see what choke and shell combinations work most often. A Truglo SSX choke and Winchester 1.75oz #6 will almost certainly give a good 40 yard pattern, but you'll easily find recommendations for others that will beat it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Don't fool yourself into thinking one gun will satisfy the itch. The late Phil Gramm said: "I have all the guns I need, but not all the guns I want." 12 gauge is the most versatile. It can shoot from 3/4 oz. or less to over 2 oz. or more depending on shell length. Once the glow of your first purchase dims, you'll be scheming for the next one. Now that you've established price range and type, an 870 is not a bad choice nor is a Benelli Nova. If it were me, I think I'd go with the Benelli. I have an 870 Express and cheap dove loads won't extract. The chamber is rough and needs honing and polishing. Benelli has better quality control. The Wingmaster 870 is better made than its Express cousin. Gil
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

870 or Nova are both good choices. My most recent shotgun purchase was an 870 .410. I surely didn't need it, but got the itch and had to have one. I gravitate towards buying more guns rather than more expensive ones.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

GLS wrote:Don't fool yourself into thinking one gun will satisfy the itch. The late Phil Gramm said: "I have all the guns I need, but not all the guns I want." 12 gauge is the most versatile. It can shoot from 3/4 oz. or less to over 2 oz. or more depending on shell length. Once the glow of your first purchase dims, you'll be scheming for the next one. Now that you've established price range and type, an 870 is not a bad choice nor is a Benelli Nova. If it were me, I think I'd go with the Benelli. I have an 870 Express and cheap dove loads won't extract. The chamber is rough and needs honing and polishing. Benelli has better quality control. The Wingmaster 870 is better made than its Express cousin. Gil
I have read about cheap loads not extracting but never seen it. I do scrub every one of the barrels before I do anything with them so that might be the difference. Guns come from the factory with greases on them and not oils. Grease needs to be removed from them all and a good gun oil put on.

John

What's up with that
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

42grand wrote:well, the time has come for me to purchase my first shotgun. i have done a bit of research but figured i would come to the pros and see what everyone is using. i primarily hunt turkey, occasionally dove but would like to get into pheasant and quail. i have checked out mossberg, remington, weatherby and others and they all have their pros and cons. i am kind of an old gun guy, but buying new seems to be less expensive and i can get a camo synthetic stock. again, pros and cons. i've been using my dad's 20 ga remington single shot he's had for 30+ years and have had a lot of success with it but i would like something with more power. i don't know a ton about them and want to know everything i need to know about owning one. what is everyone shooting and what would you suggest for a first time shotgun owner? any links, sites or general info would be great. if you have a model suggestion, load, choke style, etc. feel free to explain why you use that particular model and what you like or dislike about it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

what Model Remington single shot?
JUGHEAD

Post by JUGHEAD »

Of the two you mentioned that you liked, go with the Nova. The 870 express of today is a shell of the gun that it was when I first started buying them years ago. Unless you have some bad luck, it will most likely still be reliable, but don't expect it to be of the same quality that built the 870's reputation. It's just a thrown together, mass produced, functional, low quality gun just like a Mossberg. Ain't a dime's difference in them. My son has an 870 express that is only a couple of years old and just like GIL said, it won't eject cheapo shells reliably either, even when it's clean as a whistle. Doesn't hit to point of aim either and it rusts like a bumper on a 1956 chevy, regardless of how much oil you keep on it. Go with the Nova...
Last edited by JUGHEAD on July 9th, 2013, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I am a die hard Mossberg 835 guy for turkey hunting. I like and use all type of brands of shotguns but for turkey hunting that is what does it for me. Nothing wrong with the Remingtons, would not buy a new one with the way they cowered to the state of NY, Browning, Winchester, etc. Not a Benelli guy or a Beretta guy, except for there over and unders and upland guns, but both are good guns, not worth what they ask for them but that is just my opinion. Best thing to do is to find the one that fits you the best. From my experience the Remingtons and Mossbergs will offer you more after market items for better cost. Good luck and keep us up to date.
42grand

Post by 42grand »

[/quote]

what Model Remington single shot?[/quote]

i found out it's actually a Montgomery Ward, Western Field bought in the 60's. don't know why i thought it was a remington.

so i went to bass pro today to see what they had...i'm really leaning towards that benelli. i agree with ya jughead about the mass produced 870's. most everyone i talk to say that the older guns are better built (of course) and with a produced number of 11 million+, the quality had dropped. the other shotgun i found was the browning bps. it was a solid well built wooden stock gun. its definitely on the list now. i really like the looks of the browning, the feel of the nova and the versatility of the 870. decisions, decisions...
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I'm just gonna throw this out there cause of the prices I've seen.
If you are into Autos, and are on a budget, you may want to take a peek at a Stoeger 2000, or 3000 3" gun.
Most of them come in different Camos, and are very reasonable at around $400. Pretty dang good quality for the money. They even make a 3500, that shoots the 3.5s, but it is a little more in price of course.
They are similiar to the Rem 1187, but instead of gas, they work off of the Benelli system. Two pounds lighter than the Rem too.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Well, since you liked the BPS, you'd love the Ithaca M37 which is the oldest designed pump still in production. It ain't cheap, however. The price is about what a Wingmaster 870 costs (not express). Suggested MRP is usually beat by a local gunshop which Ithaca will sell to at a discount. The quaility of materials and construction in the Ithaca pump is unmatched by any company. The BPS is a knock-off of the M37 which was a knock-off of the Remington M17 although an improved version. Ithaca has been under new ownership for a half dozen or more years and all metal parts are cnc machined. No plastic trigger guards or pot metal die casts. Ithaca late last month had an open house for members of the shotgunworld.com Ithaca forum members. Visitors were treated like VIP's as they toured the small factory. Here are some photos of what they saw:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... e27ccccab1

Here's the Ithaca website: http://www.Ithacagun.com
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Gil is right. I loved my Ithaca. The only reason I sold it was cause it can slam fire.

What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Johndoe wrote:Gil is right. I loved my Ithaca. The only reason I sold it was cause it can slam fire.
I'm down to 5 Ithacas. Two 16s, two 20s and 28 gauge. It has been more than 25 years since the last Ithaca made could slam fire. Without a doubt, my "go to" field guns for dove and snipe. My 20 gauge weighs 5 7/8 lb. and the 16's, 6.25 and 6.5 lbs. respectively. These three guns were made in 1949, 1957 and 1959. Present guns use better steel and thicker barrels and consequently weigh more, but with threaded barrels for chokes. The quality is still there. Gil
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Yeah Gil, it is also my understanding the won't slamfire but they dont have a trigger reset and that means I would be droppin unfired rounds on the ground. I wish they would fix that as I would love another.

What's up with that
ShotGunSniper

Post by ShotGunSniper »

My 1st shotgun that I owned was a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag. Can't go wrong with these shotguns. Shot's 2 3/4, 3", and 3 1/2. Now I have my 2nd shotgun and it too is a Mossberg 835. I turned down a Remington 870, Winchester, and afew more when trading for this 835. I like the weight, the feel, the look's, it's heavy duty but still light enough to run and gun without breakin my back. Don't get me wrong, I like the other's but too heavy for me. But still your choice. Like some of the other's mentioned. Try the feel of them all and what you can spend. Btw, if you like the fiber opic sight's, they sell after market sight's for them or you can buy just about any of the shotgun's above with them already, right out of the factory.
Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

If history holds true...Don't sweat this purchase. You will end up buying many shotguns. Just like the rest of us on here. :mrgreen:

Return to “Big Bore”