Lead, Lead, Lead

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
sugarray

Lead, Lead, Lead

Post by sugarray »

With all this talk about HTL loads going away and me thinking of stopping loading TSS, I have been thinking of lead.

1) Do you really think companies will stop loading HTL?

2) What would be your favorite Lead loads then?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lead, Lead, Lead

Post by Grumpy »

Just a good 3 " Magnum load of 6 shot for me.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

I just loaded one round up yesterday that I think I am gonna work with a little and hunt with this year. It was 1.875 oz of #6 in a 3" shell, I got 110 in the 10" at 40, temp was 54. Do any of you have a load for 6x7 mix most of the places I hunt you can't see past 30 yards anyway, I could probably go straight 7's and be fine

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

6s are hard to beat in lead. That pellet count is not bad, but should be a little more. I think I was getting around 140 with NP lead 6s before with a 2oz load.
You need to play around some more with your powder charge and buffer. Too many holes in your pattern .
If it ever gets to the point where I can not afford TSS, I'll be going back to lead too.
Got lots of Nickel plated and Copper plated stashed.
Until then, it's TSS all the way.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

What is the price of lead shot now. When I started it was $7.99 per 25 lds.
When I quit reloading it was around $15 per 10lbs.
I have 12 lbs. of 6 shot and 11 lbs. of 8 shot and I quit reloading 10 yrs. ago.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Nickel plated is $40 per 11 lb, and Copper plated is $37 per 10lb.
Don't have a clue how much chilled or magnum shot is now, have not bought any in 20 years.
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

this was chilled shot and non buffered , I looked last week at bass pro and it it 49.99 for 25 lbs, If any of you have any suggestions or any help you would share with me I would appreciate it. I'm just getting started for shotgun reloading
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Magnum shot is harder than chilled. It will give you prettier and tighter patterns than chilled.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Shooter wrote:Magnum shot is harder than chilled. It will give you prettier and tighter patterns than chilled.
This. And for not much more money.

Precision Reloading is generally regarded as the best source for Ni-plated shot, a little harder than what BPI sells. But the shell Shooter loaded for me with BPI shot last year (labeled as 6s, but were actually 6.5s) put up great numbers from my 1187/SSX combo (142/10 @ 40).
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

In our ever increasingly politically correct and left-leaning society, I think lead will become illegal to shoot in many places before companies quit supply non-toxic HTL to hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hawglips wrote:In our ever increasingly politically correct and left-leaning society, I think lead will become illegal to shoot in many places before companies quit supply non-toxic HTL to hunters.
Hmmmmm,... Never thought of that, but you may have a good point.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

hawglips wrote:In our ever increasingly politically correct and left-leaning society, I think lead will become illegal to shoot in many places before companies quit supply non-toxic HTL to hunters.

I agree 100% people have clamped lead sinkers on fishing lines for 100 years, but now its a health risk because California said so....
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've seen some nice patterns with the BP nickle plated lead in #7. It'd make a decent 30-35 yard 20 gauge load. Gil
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

I need to order me some nickle plated 7's, I would like to see some patterns.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Just for refeence, here's the numbers of NP Pb 7s at 1100 fps MV compared to...

Nickel Plate lead 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 300
range of 1.25" gel penetration: 34.7 yds

Hevi 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 275
range of 1.25" penetration; 44.2 yds

HWT 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 220
range of 1.25" penetration; 75.3 yds

TSS 9s
Pellet count per ounce: 360
range of 1.25" penetration; 68.7 yds
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

hawglips wrote:Just for refeence, here's the numbers of NP Pb 7s at 1100 fps MV compared to...

Nickel Plate lead 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 300
range of 1.25" gel penetration: 34.7 yds

Hevi 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 275
range of 1.25" penetration; 44.2 yds

HWT 7s
Pellet count per ounce: 220
range of 1.25" penetration; 75.3 yds

TSS 9s
Pellet count per ounce: 360
range of 1.25" penetration; 68.7 yds

Another factor here is the HTLs will always pattern better and penetrate better due to their hardness. Lead will deform at ignition and upon impact. The HTLs break bone much better than lead. I know most here know this. Just sayin for those who may not know.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

Dang hawg, I guess I am gonna have to get me some of them #9's thats crushing some heads.. I have done built me a shot trap since we talked last time so, I guess I need to start loading tss. We shot 2 of the hevi 3.5" magblends and 1 of the hwt 3.5 #7's & recycled about 4.5 Oz. of shot
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I've had some really good luck with lead. What I've found is the harder, the better. I have some old Magnum Grade that's pretty hard, harder than some NP I've tried, and it gives really nice patterns. The best patterns I've gotten have come from NP shot from PR, it's pretty hard. I've found that 6s will hold better counts than 7s at 40+yds, straight NP 6s even did better than 6x7s. I really thought the 7s would out do the 6s, but they don't at longer ranges. Out to 40, the 7s are hard to beat, the counts were similar to 6s, but patterns larger with more fill due to higher bb/oz. The key to the best lead loads I've developed was a cushioned wad system with long petals to contain the shot and using #47 buffer. I patterned a bunch of lead factory loads from many different rigs and about the best I've been able to get was anywhere from 115-130 at 40, with occasional rare patterns going 140-150. That said, I've always considered anything over 120 with 6s a darn good lead pattern. With the NP 6s from PR and the right wad combo, I was able to get numbers up to 170 with 2oz loads. Not a tom walking that can take that load out to 50yds, it's actually taken one at 60 on a very poor ranges estimate. For places where shots are likely not to be past 40-45yds, I see no reason to run anything else when we are talking 12ga.

loder
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

Reloader wrote:I've had some really good luck with lead. What I've found is the harder, the better. I have some old Magnum Grade that's pretty hard, harder than some NP I've tried, and it gives really nice patterns. The best patterns I've gotten have come from NP shot from PR, it's pretty hard. I've found that 6s will hold better counts than 7s at 40+yds, straight NP 6s even did better than 6x7s. I really thought the 7s would out do the 6s, but they don't at longer ranges. Out to 40, the 7s are hard to beat, the counts were similar to 6s, but patterns larger with more fill due to higher bb/oz. The key to the best lead loads I've developed was a cushioned wad system with long petals to contain the shot and using #47 buffer. I patterned a bunch of lead factory loads from many different rigs and about the best I've been able to get was anywhere from 115-130 at 40, with occasional rare patterns going 140-150. That said, I've always considered anything over 120 with 6s a darn good lead pattern. With the NP 6s from PR and the right wad combo, I was able to get numbers up to 170 with 2oz loads. Not a tom walking that can take that load out to 50yds, it's actually taken one at 60 on a very poor ranges estimate. For places where shots are likely not to be past 40-45yds, I see no reason to run anything else when we are talking 12ga.

loder
Thanks for the info I am gonna still hunt with my mag-blends, or hevi 7's. I just want to have a fall back load I can use in case it ever gets where I cant get htl losds. I am thinking very hard on getting some tss from hawglips
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

I had some great patterns with fed c.p. #6's out of my 10 gauge with the flight control wad that led me to the HW 7's that i love.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Hawg great info,what is the penetration difference of hw 7's at 1300?
frank1969

Post by frank1969 »

what did we all kill birds with brfore htl lead and I still use it and never fired a htl load do your job as a turkey hunter and you can use a 410 with lead
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

frank1969 wrote:what did we all kill birds with brfore htl lead and I still use it and never fired a htl load do your job as a turkey hunter and you can use a 410 with lead
Here You Go Hal.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Johndoe wrote:
frank1969 wrote:what did we all kill birds with brfore htl lead and I still use it and never fired a htl load do your job as a turkey hunter and you can use a 410 with lead
Here You Go Hal.
I need all the help I can get, so I use the heaviest of the HTL I can get. An added bonus is when I pick up the TSS, I get a turkey killing tutoring session with Hal.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Personally, I got tired of chasing them down. Had a bad habit of shooting them 40, 50, and 60 yds.
I'm not a 17 year old track star anymore,... never was actually,...lol.
Went to Hevi for awhile, then Win ER HD, and found Hal's TSS.
Have not even had to get up after the shot anymore.
Either a clean miss, or a dead bird, as I found out last year,...lol

Return to “Big Bore”