Ithaca Featherlight Model 37 Thumbhole (15 Pics)

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Sloppy_Snood

Ithaca Featherlight Model 37 Thumbhole (15 Pics)

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Well,,,,,couldn't stand just looking at the new Ithaca Model 37s anymore and drove over to Ohio to purchase a brand-spanking new12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight with a 30" solderless ribbed barrel. 8-) I was able to purchase it with the factory thumbhole stock and Weaver #62 base for $802. Pricey but well worth it when you hold it, pull that crisp 5-pound trigger (no takeup; no creep), and shake it back and forth with nary a sound! :thumbup: Built like a tank, this thing is the real deal. I am currently working this shotgun out with a variety of Indian Creek Black Diamond Choke tubes (Invector Plus) from .640" to .680" exit diameters and 3-inch Hevi-13 2 oz. number 6 shotshells so you might see a shooting report in the future. So.....here she is:

"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
savduck

Re: Ithaca Featherlight Model 37 Thumbhole (15 Pics)

Post by savduck »

very nice
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Nifty!
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

In an 870 world, isn't it nice to have a pump gun made with no cost shortcuts in materials or mfg. process? The folks from Upper Sandusky know who to build a pump like they did in the 1930s--except for using modern steel and CNC. I have the Upper Sandusky made 20 gauge TS M37 and the 28 gauge M37. Here's what the trigger assembly ( no plastic, stamped or pot metal) looks like in your gun and mine:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Looks more like a "glory hole" to me
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

very cool Scott, dang fine piece of iron their.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ArkansasDon wrote:very cool Scott, dang fine piece of iron their.
Thanks Don and everybody. I will report back once I get an opportunity to shoot this M37 more over the next few months. :thumbup:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Awesome looking gun Scott. Should be a thumper!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Does the trigger on the new ones reset when you fire and pump. The one I had as a kid would not and I could pump it with the trigger down and would drop Live, dimpled primer shells on the ground. Only one ever went off after hitting the ground, but not a safe way to build a firearm.

Loved it other than that

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Johndoe wrote:Does the trigger on the new ones reset when you fire and pump? John
Yes John. It will "slam fire" if you keep the trigger pulled back and just keep pumping the forend. :D
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Dang thats too bad. Love them other than that.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The new ones aren't supposed to slam fire. If you keep the trigger depressed and shuck the hammer follows the bolt but supposedly with not enough force to slam fire. The old models that predated the King's Ferry editions would slam fire. My 1949 M37R and '59 M37 will slam fire. Gil
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Very nice!

I need one in a lefty.
"INFIDEL"
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Grover wrote:Very nice!

I need one in a lefty.
Hi Grover. thanks. FYI....thumbhole laminate stocks are available in left or right handed versions. An ambidextrous Monte Carlo-style walnut stock is also available. :thumbup:

Both stock styles can be viewed on Ithaca's website. 8-)

LINK: Ithaca Deerslayer II Stocks (Click Here)
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

GLS wrote:The new ones aren't supposed to slam fire. If you keep the trigger depressed and shuck the hammer follows the bolt but supposedly with not enough force to slam fire. Gil
Thanks Gil. I should have confirmed my previous post with Ithaca first. I made an incorrect assumption on slam-firing on newer model 37s. :thumbleft:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

nice Ithaca!

I have owned a few over the years and really loved my 20. I have a 12 waterfowl that came with 4 forcing stepped down the barrel. prolly not good for turkey loads, but man its crazy on fowl!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

hoobilly wrote:nice Ithaca!

I have owned a few over the years and really loved my 20. I have a 12 waterfowl that came with 4 forcing stepped down the barrel. prolly not good for turkey loads, but man its crazy on fowl!
Thanks Brice. I'm hoping to pick up a 20 gauge model 37 Ithaca with a 30" barrel and thumbhole this spring. :cheers:

If time and finances allow, I might spring for a GUNWORKS Ithaca Pro Stock 20GA like Night_Hawk's. I was fortunate enough for him to allow me to set up his Pro Stock 20 gauge a week before the 2012 NWTF World Still Target Championships and he won with the gun! 8-) I think Steve only shot that Pro Stock 10-15 times the day before the championships!....and won! The guy is "automatic" with a shotgun! :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I dont know how, but Steve is at a level of shooting a shotgun at 40 yards that is like the 1000 yard shooters with rifles.

When I replace my 20, it will hopefully be a 26" barrel.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I am just curious. The weaver scope that you have on the shotgun looks like a standard rifle scope and not a scope made for a shotgun/muzzleloader. Will that scope be able to hold zero shooting heavy loads? I have a weaver scope on my Savage .243 win and love it. They are great scopes. I know they make a shotgun scope and was just curious if that one will hold zero after a few shots of heavy loads. It looks like a tactical style scope and was also curious as to why you want that much scope on a shotgun. I use a scope on my 835 for turkey hunting but it is just your basic Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm. Just curious and it is an awesome looking shotgun!
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

davisd9 wrote:I am just curious. The weaver scope that you have on the shotgun looks like a standard rifle scope and not a scope made for a shotgun/muzzleloader. Will that scope be able to hold zero shooting heavy loads?
Truthfully, I do not know if it will hold up. It was cheap at $140 delivered. I bought it for competition shooting and not really hunting. It has a lifetime Weaver warranty so if it eats itself, I'm not overly concerned. I would jsut replace it and switch to a different scope on the Ithaca. The scope comes off for hunting purposes. ;)

The reason for a 4-16x44 riflescope (yes, riflescope) being mounted on the Ithaca is that it has lots of eye relief (4.7" @ 4X and 3.9" @ 16X; I shoot on 9X) that helps with a day of shooting 20 to 40 3" Hevi-13 2.0 oz. 6s shotshells (in one sitting! :shock: ).
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

:thumbup:

Return to “Big Bore”