Summer Project Gun

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Summer Project Gun

Post by howl »

That is quite a stick! :thumbup:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Thanks, folks.
Wood came in a day early. All that's left to do is Duracoat action and choke in matt black. "Shake and Spray" kit should be in this p.m. according to Quantum. I'll pattern and zero it first once I handload a shell or two. Despite a lot of moving parts, this project came together far quicker than I anticipated. It's 24" from breech to end of choke. Gil
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

That really looks good Gil.

It ought to be a right fine turkey slayer with a light handload.
crow

Post by crow »

Good looking gun, that is going to be a nice light handy gun to hunt with.

He did a very nice job with the artwork on the stock, I like that
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Very nice, Gil.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Can’t wait to see it finished!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I shot the gun Saturday using a stash of 8.5 TSS with a shot count of 342/oz. The load was 1 3/8 oz. at 1200 fps as tested in a 28" barrel. Mine is 24". Using a Winchester Texas Super Dove Load, 1 1/8 oz. of #7.5 lead at 1255 fps (or so the box said), I shot at 20 yards to check poa/poi. The load was dead center and no adjustment was necessary. I was shooting with a Limbsaver slip on pad, 1" thick" on top of the gun's .5" rubber pad. The calculated recoil was 43.81 ft. lbs. which is within a pound of my 20 ga. Baikal shooting 1 5/8 oz. TSS at 1050 fps. That gun is 5 lbs. 7 oz. The Yildiz is 4.25 lbs. Recoil, the "bite", was no worse and the bark was about the same. I was wearing foam plugs.
When I shot the TSS load, I don't know if the ear plugs were loose or not, but my ears felt stopped up after the blast. I don't recall hearing a shotgun blast from one of my guns that loud. Floyd had his fingers in his ears and I could see him laughing at the recoil as the gun went vertical and knocked the bejebus out of my shoulder. I felt the effects in my ears all day. I hadn't shot a 12 at turkeys in 10 seasons and all of those guns were either autos or pumps with the muzzle at least 29" from my ears. Because of the break action, I didn't have the added length of the auto or pump's action and the muzzle of the Yildiz was closer to my ears with a barrel length of 24". If I had to do it over again, I'd want a minimum of 26" effective barrel length. Shooting the 12 made me appreciate the 20 and .410. The calculated recoil of the TSS load at 1200 fps was 56 ft. lbs. I plan on cutting back the powder and getting the fps down to about 1050 which is fast enough to be lethal. This will reduce the calculated recoil to 44 ft. lbs or close to what I shoot in my Baikal 20 ga. I realize that we don't feel recoil when shooting a turkey, but what that load did to my ears was something I'd like to avoid in the future. Reducing the charge may help, but I doubt it. I'd love to have a load of 1-1 1/8 oz. for this gun. I'm looking... Oh, don't even think about Longbeards. The 3" 1.75 oz. load at 1200 fps has calculated recoil of 84.31 ft. lbs. The 2.75" LB comes in with a calculated recoil figure of 55 ft. lbs. The pattern is below. The economy of LB's versus a detached retina...eh, no thanks. Center mass was 2" to the left of poa. I won't change anything with sight until I try the reduced load. Yesterday I coated the action with flat black Duracoat to cover up the factory silver sides.
If anyone is interested in rigging a TK12 as I did, I used Ramp #72313 and Marble fiber optic dove tail post #603126 (green) and the Skinner sight for the Henry Rifle with octagon barrel. It has a flat base. All but the sight came from MidwayUSA. The solid rib of the Yildiz TK12 offers solid support for the sights and is flat from about 2" from the breech to the muzzle end. I could easily solve the barrel length for slightly more than the cost of a $100 Jeb's choke. A new TK12 costs $40 more at Academy. Besides, it's always nice to have a spare gun for parts.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

What Howl said! Get the friend for testing!

And that’s a decent pattern with 8.5’s and a reduced load. Walkers game ears will help with the bang while hunting

bullethead

Post by bullethead »

I just saw this post and your Kyle Smith post makes more sense!
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

bullethead wrote: June 25th, 2019, 8:15 pm I just saw this post and your Kyle Smith post makes more sense!
if you seen my post on the H&R 3.5" liteweight cannon my Kentucky buddies gave me you'll see why I am also interested :LMAO:

2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Real nice Gil!!!
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

hoobilly wrote: June 25th, 2019, 11:16 pm
bullethead wrote: June 25th, 2019, 8:15 pm I just saw this post and your Kyle Smith post makes more sense!
if you seen my post on the H&R 3.5" liteweight cannon my Kentucky buddies gave me you'll see why I am also interested :LMAO:
Definitely
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

Very nice Gil. Should be a fun one.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

hoobilly wrote: May 27th, 2019, 9:23 pm
2Shooter wrote: May 21st, 2019, 7:57 am Purdy gun Gil!!! All I can say is Snoopy hang on!!! :toothy7:
I think that’s Sloopy hang on?
Yep, The McCoys with Rick Derringer. Nice video.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I looked at a Rock Island single 12 gauge at Rural King. It was super light but, did have screw in chokes. Would have to kill at both ends though.
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

quavodus wrote:I looked at a Rock Island single 12 gauge at Rural King. It was super light but, did have screw in chokes. Would have to kill at both ends though.
Hmmm…who’s chokes? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I think Mobil chokes.
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

quavodus wrote: April 13th, 2022, 3:55 pm I think Mobil chokes.

Thanks!!! Going to look at one soon. Like I need another gun! :dontknow:
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life

Return to “Big Bore”