Heavy field loads

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
edward.penny

Heavy field loads

Post by edward.penny »

Does anyone still use these for turkey? Assuming most turkeys are shot 30 wouldn't these shells work just as well? If you have patterned some of these please post the picks. I'm going to try some when I get the time and see what kind of patterns I can get out to 30 or 35 yards. Seems all the new shells coming out for turkey are for pushing the range limits. I would like to see someone make a shell that has great patterns from 10 to 30 yards.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Heavy field loads

Post by Hoobilly »

more turkeys are killed with lead loads than the expensive loads.
I haven't actually killed a turkey with lead in 15+ years??? ever since Hevishot came out I have been using it or a tungsten derivative
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My first turkey was killed with an 1 1/8 oz. of number 7 1/2. A trap reload! Killed him deader than a rock at 25 yards. I was partridge hunting at the time.
Inside of 30 yards, you can pretty much kill them with a reasonably tight choke and most, if not all, high brass lead shells. Misjudging distance is a huge problem! Inside of 30, you should be good to go.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
erikmcgarrh

Post by erikmcgarrh »

I’ve killed quite a few using my 16 gauge shooting high brass #6 pheasant loads but not past 30 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I think the only disadvantage to heavy field loss with nickel or copper plated is a misjudged distance.

A 1-1/4 ounce load of good #7’s will level one.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I hear 1.5oz of 7 1\2s killed hundreds for one fella in particular. Course it was fired in halves from two barrels at once and at conservative ranges.

If I were a better turkey killer, I'd do it. Ain't though. I prefer to shoot them about five yards past 30, where they're less likely to pick me out.
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

Ive killed them with field loads but as cheap as shells are I would want at least a 40 yard killer.
edward.penny

Post by edward.penny »

I tend to shoot heavy-shot but sometimes I hunt thick woods and when I see the bird he is close. I hate shooting a 6 dollar shell to kill a bird at 20 and closer.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

edward.penny wrote: May 1st, 2019, 6:21 am I tend to shoot heavy-shot but sometimes I hunt thick woods and when I see the bird he is close. I hate shooting a 6 dollar shell to kill a bird at 20 and closer.

I hate paying for the gas I use in scouting and hunting.

Much rather use a expensive shell on a close gobbler anyday

Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

hoobilly wrote: May 1st, 2019, 7:59 am
edward.penny wrote: May 1st, 2019, 6:21 am I tend to shoot heavy-shot but sometimes I hunt thick woods and when I see the bird he is close. I hate shooting a 6 dollar shell to kill a bird at 20 and closer.

X2 Monday I had two Gobblers circle me and come in off my left shoulder one was fanned out at 5 feet while the other slowly strutted to were I could shoot him at 8 feet. I’ve never been that close and got away with it and the last thing I was worrying about was the 10$ Nitro I was fixin to fire.
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Longspurs wrote:
hoobilly wrote: May 1st, 2019, 7:59 am

X2 Monday I had two Gobblers circle me and come in off my left shoulder one was fanned out at 5 feet while the other slowly strutted to were I could shoot him at 8 feet. I’ve never been that close and got away with it and the last thing I was worrying about was the 10$ Nitro I was fixin to fire.
I guess if one was so worried about it, shoot a double gun. One with primo tss, one with cheap #6 field load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

okiefowler wrote: May 13th, 2019, 11:52 pm
I guess if one was so worried about it, shoot a double gun. One with primo tss, one with cheap #6 field load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Great point

Return to “Big Bore”