dumb question recoil reduction

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
-DIRTNAP-

dumb question recoil reduction

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

this maybe a dumb question but im trying to get my dad to go back turkey hunting with me he has a Mossberg 835 and doesn't want to change he doesn't like the recoil of a 3 1/2" shell. I want him to try tss my question is if I have federal 12 gauge 3 1/2" shell tss 9 with a 2 1/4 oz load doing 1200 fps, or try a apex 12 gauge 3" with tss #9 2 1/4 oz load.... are you reducing recoil????
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: dumb question recoil reduction

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Negligibly if at all.

A 2 3/4” load is plenty for most.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

A good option for him in TSS might be Federal's 3" 1 3/4 oz load in 9s. That should drop the recoil by about 1/3.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I shoot a 1-3/4 ounce TSS handload in my 1300’s and it doesn’t kick too bad.

I’d stay away from 2.25 ounce loads if you’re truly trying to reduce recoil for him.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

ya I am... I thought a 3" would be softer then a 3 1/2"
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

-DIRTNAP- wrote: March 24th, 2019, 2:02 pm ya I am... I thought a 3" would be softer then a 3 1/2"
Typically a 2 1/4oz load is going to kick about the same whether you put it into a 3” shell or a 3 1/2” shell. If the Apex 2 1/4oz load is like the 3” 2 1/4 oz load I’ve shot, it’s definitely not for anyone concerned about recoil.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Length of shell matters little. Payload and velocity are what gets you recoil.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

joey46

Post by joey46 »

The old white Hevi 13 was one of the mildest recoiling turkey killers IMO. The WW HV the worst for recoil Used them both for years noticing recoil only when patterning. Now I just add an extra slip on recoil pad to whatever I'm shooting. The extra length has not been a problem so far. This is particularly helpful whenever I shoot my Knight TK 2000 muzzleloader. The recommended turkey load for that gun causes nose bleeds (2 1/2 oz shot + 100 grains powder). Some You Tube videos of guys shooting this gun are comical. Slipping an extra large size Pacmeyer over the existing pad makes it tolerable to shoot. I use a different size slip on with my 870. As an old guy I was concerned about detached retenia after cataract surgeries.
Just patterned and took my first turkey with Federal Tss #7 in 3" . Recoil about average. It fell between old Hevi and WW HV. Remember there are several recoil reduced loads out there also. Not easy to find except by mail order. Good luck.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Ya a 2 3/4 2oz might help maybe not much. Even a 20 gauge shooting 1.5oz being that light has some recoil but that 835 is a mule
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I see no reason whatsoever to shoot even 2 oz of 9s let alone 2 1/4. You don't have to cut their head off at 40 yards and I don't feel the need to kill them at 60 or 70 yards. Granted I'm relatively new to the hand loads, I've been loading one of Hal's loads of 1 5/8 oz, 8.5s in 2 3/4".
They have minimal recoil compared to my previous 3" and 3 1/2" lead. There is more than enough shot there for reasonable distance and I've not went the route of burning through chokes to maximize density.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

that 835 with a IndianCreek 675 and the Tennessee Twisters (2 3/4") 20z load have definitely less felt recoil and will shoot further than needed.

If your interested in buying some Twisters message me. I sell custom hand loads. (legally)
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

Hoobily i bet that 20oz load has a lot less felt recoil and will kill a lot further than needed. Probably couple hundred yards.
edward.penny

Post by edward.penny »

I have a 835 and installed a Limbsaver pad. It really helps but you still know when you pull the trigger. If you shoot them close just find a 2.75in game load that patterns good and have fun. Lots of turkeys have been killed with 1 1/4 oz loads of #6 or #4.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The main reason 835s have a bad reputation for recoil is they don't fit the shooter. Just getting a gun that actually fits will tame things down substantially.

I smoked that last two birds I killed with 13/16oz T9.5s. Not sure what those heavy loads are for unless you need them to fil a wad or something?
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

A few things you can do to reduce recoil would be:

Increase the weight of the gun,
Reduce the payload,
Reduce the velocity.

It wouldn't hurt to get the gun fitted to the shooter either. Combine that with a 1.5-1.75oz load going no more than 1200fps and recoil should be manageable.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Fl strutter wrote: March 25th, 2019, 12:59 pm Hoobily i bet that 20oz load has a lot less felt recoil and will kill a lot further than needed. Probably couple hundred yards.
Your thinking of the 2 fawtey tree??
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Big Bore”