What is the next old school?

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
savduck

Re: What is the next old school?

Post by savduck »

I hope your talking about me.

My grandad died when I was 2. Ive heard a few stories but not many. I have an old Fox Sterlingworth that was his that was passed down to me. I plan on busting a gobbler with it this season. I had no idea he was a turkey hunter. I know he got my Dad into hunting, but i thought he was more of a quail guy. My mom told me stories of all their bird dogs.

I sure would like to sit over a hot breakfast one weekend and hear stories about my grandaddy. My grandmother passed the week before Christmas, almost three years ago. She used to tell me over and over how much my Grandaddy loved me and how he couldnt wait until I was old enough to take hunting.
Last edited by savduck on August 19th, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
turkeybuster

Post by turkeybuster »

We can arrange that..There is a few people around that hunted with him,We were young-uns back then.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Was his name Burl Ellis Beasely? I found his obituary online. He died October, 1995, and worked in the body shop at JC Lewis for 30 years.
I know you have to be older than 19. I don't think he was your father's dad. Burl, or Ellis as family called him, had one son named Billy. He had two daughters, Faye and Linda.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Nope. Mine was Burl Blount. Died in 79. Worked for CSX railroad.

Turkeybuster knew him. Yep im older than 19.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

I think sxs are the next old school. Hard to tell, probably add thumbhole stock guns to that list as well
Byhalia

Post by Byhalia »

H & R 10 ga. single shot.......NO CHOKE TUBE !!!! :king:
Listen to the wind

Scout from afar and hunt very close......

and I am a TURKEY HUNTING ADDICT !!!!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hawglips wrote:
YellaJacket wrote:For those with young hunting kids? what guns will our kids call old school? Will it be an sx3? or mossberg 835? Hard to picture that. My dads generation wouldnt look at a camo gun twice..nowadays they are like crack for some. I just wonder what the "found treasure" will be for our hunting kids?
I'm not sure what generation I am, but I avoid camo guns. They're a turn-off for me.
Well Hawg, I just hope you don't have to eat those words like I did,...LOL
I always only shot beautiful wood stocked guns. I would make fun of all the Newbies and thier Black and Camo guns.
Now, years later, Dang it. I found a Browning auto 10 with the barrel I was looking for, but it was black and the only one they had. They had it priced several hundred dollars less than I had seen everywhere else. Oh well.
Bought another black auto 12 a few years later. turned out to be one of the best shooters I've owned. Ran across the camo Stoeger I use now on Gunbroker for buy it now at $350.
Another great shooter and killer. Problem is, I keep losing it when I lay it down in the woods,...lol
Never say never. I did, and look at me now.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Any 10 ga. Is a goner
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

My buddy has an old 870 wingmaster 30" full choke bbl. We put a Black stock and forearm, a saddle mount, a Mueller Quick shot, and sighted in for TSS #9s. Patterns great. Thats as old school as I can get.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Hmmmm, next "Old School"?

Driving your vehicle to a spot, getting out and hunting on foot. (No ATV). Yep.

FullChoke
Central MS
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

>>>for you new schoolers, try a season a full spring season of old school, dont put the bird to bed, no decoy or fan, no mono pod, portable blind, no seat. You'll see a total difference in turkey hunting.<<<

Don, I agree with you on all except trying to roost one in the afternoon. I guess that is what you mean by putting him to bed. When we started hunting turkeys in the mid-60s, I don't know of anyone who would hesitate to try to hear one fly up, and seeing him fly up was even better. Of course, when we were out there in the afternoon we weren't trying to roost him, we were trying to kill him. Getting him roosted was just a second choice.

I still have trouble sleeping when I've got a big gobbler roosted. But if I don't, I will be on a high hill at daylight and hope to hear him gobble. BTW, killed my first gobbler in 1966 with a Win Mod 37 20 gauge. Called him up with a box my dad made. I think that qualifies as old school. ;)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: BTW, killed my first gobbler in 1966 with a Win Mod 37 20 gauge. Called him up with a box my dad made. I think that qualifies as old school. ;)
1966, old school?? sounds like you skipped school that day. ;) Gil
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

GLS wrote:
poorcountrypreacher wrote: BTW, killed my first gobbler in 1966 with a Win Mod 37 20 gauge. Called him up with a box my dad made. I think that qualifies as old school. ;)
Thats OOOLD SCHOOL! :mrgreen: :thumbup: :florida:
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

GLS wrote:
Naw, killed him on a Saturday while I was out of class from 6th grade. :)

1966 was about as old school as you could get for the area where I grew up. We didn't have a huntable population until about 1963. My dad hunted every morning before work with a group of men who always met at our house for breakfast. I would wake up and listen to them talk before I was old enough to hunt, and dream of the day when I could go.

No blinds or decoys among that group - such things had never been heard of. Most of them did carry 2 guns - a rifle and a shotgun. Nobody had ever hunted turkeys before so nobody knew that wasn't considered sporting. It wasn't too long before the state outlawed rifles, and I was sure glad they did. Gave the other hunters too much advantage over me, cause my dad wouldn't let me carry a rifle.

I guess real old school for me would be shooting one in a pasture with a 30-06. ;)
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Hey hey hey.... im only 23 and i dont use decoys or blinds, i hate carrying them. I have only ever roosted one bird, they dont gobble here in the evening hardly ever.

I have a very hard time Turkey hunting if they ain't gobblin'
BrentM

What is the next old school?

Post by BrentM »

Who's gonna be the one to tell Arkansas Don that the Indians were roosting turkeys before Columbus ever got here?

Return to “Big Bore”