What is the next old school?

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
YellaJacket

What is the next old school?

Post by YellaJacket »

For those with young hunting kids? what guns will our kids call old school? Will it be an sx3? or mossberg 835? Hard to picture that. My dads generation wouldnt look at a camo gun twice..nowadays they are like crack for some. I just wonder what the "found treasure" will be for our hunting kids?
Splittoe

Re: What is the next old school?

Post by Splittoe »

Hunting turkeys without a decoy or blind. :violent1:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

its hard to imagine what will be old school.

As were at the front of technology with ammo and choke tubes.

I think anything from the 90's or early 2000's will be old school some day..but how soon?

Around here, the old timers shoot lead #4's. to me thats really old school. lol

and they mostly use box calls...

and a box call I hardly use. mostly cause I can't make them sound good. lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

With all the advances in shotguns and loads I'm going to guess the 3.5" 12 gauge magnums will be old school in the future. I believe the 12 is here to stay but the 20 and smaller will gain a larger following.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

OLD SCHOOL REMMEY'S WILL NEVER DIE !! :struttin:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Splittoe wrote:Hunting turkeys without a decoy or blind. :violent1:
:thumbup:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

A cup of Coffee...Black. Made at home. :D
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobbler wrote:A cup of Coffee...Black. Made at home. :D
you were a cowboy in a former life? :lol:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:
Gobbler wrote:A cup of Coffee...Black. Made at home. :D
you were a cowboy in a former life? :lol:
Just how I drink it gobbler and strong as all get out.. I couple years back a buddy opened his Thermos asked if I wanted a refill, sure.. I spit on the ground and asked what the hell is this.. Sugar, freiken sugar in coffee cmon...

Hoobilly from your FB posts, You frequent coffee joints :lol:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Men, I just got back from Seattle. That place is loaded with coffee shops. Everyone had some F-ed up Niles Crane concoction that cost 5 bucks. I couldn't wait to get home and pour the old school cup of coffee my Dad brought us up on. (Minus the shot of Canadian Club) :o
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

What is the next old school?.......id say the 1300's and the x2 will be the next ones......but the old schools rems will be on top of the list !!! :violent3:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

YellaJacket wrote:For those with young hunting kids? what guns will our kids call old school? Will it be an sx3? or mossberg 835? Hard to picture that. My dads generation wouldnt look at a camo gun twice..nowadays they are like crack for some. I just wonder what the "found treasure" will be for our hunting kids?
I'm not sure what generation I am, but I avoid camo guns. They're a turn-off for me.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

hawglips wrote:
YellaJacket wrote:For those with young hunting kids? what guns will our kids call old school? Will it be an sx3? or mossberg 835? Hard to picture that. My dads generation wouldnt look at a camo gun twice..nowadays they are like crack for some. I just wonder what the "found treasure" will be for our hunting kids?
I'm not sure what generation I am, but I avoid camo guns. They're a turn-off for me.
Indeed. Camo guns seem to be considered "old school" as soon as their patterns are outdated, regardless of the gun itself. It's kinda silly. BTW, I don't have any camo guns either. The matte black versions are usually cheaper. Of course, I'd buy a camo one if the price was right. ;)
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

I like full camo guns. Camo is no issue when you can shoot them at 100 yards I guess. :lol:

I'll be sure to put a gold star by each of your names. :thumbup:

From the stuff I see on forums these days I know for sure I've graduated to the old school, not the first generation by any means but definitely from the old cantankerous, opinionated, ornery, know it all, can smell BS a mile away old school.

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:laughing3: :laughing3:
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

2ounce6s wrote:
From the stuff I see on forums these days I know for sure I've graduated to the old school, not the first generation by any means but definitely from the old cantankerous, opinionated, ornery, know it all, can smell BS a mile away old school.
Good lord I've been cloned.
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

I think its going to be us when the kids coming up are our age and we will be in our 70s
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Yeah, I can see drinking coffee being old school, with all these energy drinks these days.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

:lol: old school, I was brought up old school turkey hunt'n & still do in alot of ways. Old school we never put our birds to bed, we alway went to the woods in the blind not known were the birds were. When ya did locate them we popped our butts on the ground and called them in, old school guns are 2 3/4" chambers w/o choke tubes. I've hunted that way until 2004 when I bought my 1st choked shotgun. My buddies joked with me until they saw me roll a gobbler out @ 45yds with #2's after the 4 shot missed.
Yeah, the only blind we used was made from branches suck into the ground. No turkey seats, we just piled up leaves under our butts. Camo, their wasnt any or that we could afford when I started turkey hunt'n 1969. We hunted with green jeans & multi colored shirts with a old burlap tator sack wore like a poncho. 1982 Trebark Camo, I bought my 1st pare. Ordered from the back of a magazine. The only call we used was a mod. 102 Lynch Box Call that my dad bought in 1960 & still use that call today.
These were the gun I grow up using to kill turkeys until 2004. Browning A-5 chambered 2 3/4" shot that from 1983 until 2004 2 3/4" #4's backed up with #2's 28" Full barrel. My 1st turkey gun & a gun I killed everything under the sun that had feather, scales, & fur. Winchester Mod. 12 28" Full barrel, chambered in 2 3/4" killed my 1st turkey spring of 1969. I still own these gun have have them, they stayed locked up.

I've seen the turkey hunting change, and most of the stuff they sell is ridiculous
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The hunter who hunts by himself and is content with the same call he made 20 years ago. The only blinds or decoys he uses are for mallards and laughs at you when you show him your owl hooter.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Here's the whole deal with this "old school" thing.............When a guy starts out turkey hunting, most of the time he's basically clueless. He will buy anything he can afford to help him kill a turkey, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to people who actually know how to kill turkeys, because he doesn't really know any better.
At some point, he will usually figure out how to kill turkeys, then he will realize that what enabled him to kill turkeys in the first place was patience and woodsmanship; and not all the stuff he has bought along the way. He then grows satisfied with his stuff and even becomes emotionally attached to some of it and hangs on to it and then ten years later proudly proclaims that he is "old school" and believes his methods are superior to anyone that doesn't think like he does.
Thing is though, just a few years back the guy that is now "old school" was the same rookie at one time who was struggling trying to figure out how to kill a turkey and would have given his last dollar for the newest invention that might give him a better chance at being successful.
That being said, I guess I would qualify for "old school" since I don't use decoys or blinds and I still carry the same HS Strut plastic owl hooter that I got for my birthday when I was in the 8th grade.
I do remember though about twenty years ago I heard about some new Tink's 69 "hen in heat" turkey attractant and made plans to pick up several bottles of it as soon as it was released on the market and showed up at my nearest sporting goods store. I told a gentleman about it that had took some time to mentor me a little and he kindly and patiently explained to me that he really didn't think it would work very well and that it probably be a better idea to invest what little money I had in something other than hen in heat seeing as how turkeys couldn't smell anyway. At the time, he carried his mouth calls around in one of those little rubber change purses that is shaped like a football and opens up when you squeeze on either end of it. It was red and it had the 1978 University of Alabama football schedule printed on the backside of it; so he was definately old school and knew what he was talking about.
I would be willing to bet good money that alot of guys that now call themselves "old school" and laugh at rookies that buy up some of this new stuff companies keep coming out with were the same guys that rushed to their local sporting goods store back in the day, with paycheck in hand, to buy up as much tinks 69 hen in heat as they could get their hands on.
I guess what I'm saying is we shouldn't be hard on today's generation of turkey hunters because they really don't know any better, especially if the only knowledge they have about turkeys is from what they've seen on television. They'll figure it out soon enough.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

What you dicribe is new-bee not old school. I'm sorry for disagreeing with you. Theirs a lot of old school turkey hunters out their, Tom Kelly, whom dont put birds to bed, that turkey hunts the way he was taught, like I was taught. What we see putting birds to bed is new school. I have nothing against New School Turkey Hunting. I support all means & methods of turkey hunting "legal". The blind huntin & all these new fangle dangle calls "Knight Hale Screaming Hen",a ridiculous waste of money product to simply make turkey hunting easier. They try to make a beginner into a veteran turkey hunter by using these gimmicks. You never master turkey hunting. Thats the problem with alot of "new bee hunters" they think they are when in reality they dont even come close. My signature “ Wild Turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness.” Colonel Tom Kelly. It doesnt put it any better for the turkey hunting. I was brought to be truthful and honest, I bestowed them same morals to my daughter and live by them to this day. The problem theirs alot that dont have respect for the the vetran turkey hunter (old school) because he put his time in the woods and with failure & success. And when you get enough of those together failure & success you start understanding this wiley bird.
BrentM quote"I guess what I'm saying is we shouldn't be hard on today's generation of turkey hunters because they really don't know any better, especially if the only knowledge they have about turkeys is from what they've seen on television. They'll figure it out soon enough." unquote
I've seen it the otherway myself BrentM, seen new schoolers & new-bees insult Old school turkey hunters(the old timers the way they hunt).
The world today is a micro-wave society.......this new generation was born into it and know no better. They dont understand old school (old timers way) of turkey hunting.
The meaning of "old School" is the old timers folks, the way turkey hunting was w/o choke tubes, pop-up blind, plastic calls, camo, putting birds to bed, we go to the wood s in the blid w/o known were they are. To be quite honest its a insult to the old timers by you calling beginners old school. Your talking about beginners or new-bees

for you new schoolers, try a season a full spring season of old school, dont put the bird to bed, no decoy or fan, no mono pod, portable blind, no seat. You'll see a total difference in turkey hunting.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I think were getting away from the original question of what guns will our kids call old school, but I like this discussion too.

I killed my first turkey in 1965 with a revelation bolt action 410. Killed my first long beard in 1965 with a Remington 1148 16 gauge, still have both guns. I consider myself old school with a few modern tendencies. I think the next old school train of thought on turkey hunting will be the sport from the late 70's early 80's, hard shell deke's, trebark camo ect.

In reality everyone's perception of old school probably will be based on how they grew up turkey hunting. Hunters who rely on deke's and blinds will never be remotely old school in my generations eye's. But there probably will be a generation who will rely on live recorded and video device's placed in the woods feeding info to a hand held unit, and maybe even some of these remote controlled guns like you see on some deer hunts where you can shoot them from the kitchen table with the push of a button. Then finish breakfast, put on your clothes and go retrieve the bird you just hunted hard for all morning. Then those folks will consider people who sit in a blind over a spread of deke's old school.

As far as the next old school guns, the 835 will certainly be one of them.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Unless any of you were born before 1948, I am probably older than most of you and the last tree you leaned against this past spring. The only reason I started turkey hunting when I was 29 and not younger as some of you did in the mid 1960s was because there was no legal season in South Georgia until the late 1970s. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t spring turkey hunting. Burl B. had been turkey hunting all of his life and he was 25-30 years older than I was. He still hunted closed government land that was his family’s before being condemned by the Government. When the first season was announced, several of us sought out the old timers and anyone who knew anything about turkey hunting. I read every book I could find. Most of the books were pure crap, written by folks (Yankees) hunting released turkeys in Pennsylvania or somewhere in the Northeast. Good ole Georgian Charlie Elliot wrote a book and it had two nuggets in it that I still hold dear to. Get a bearing on the bird with a compass and if he’s still in the tree when you get there, call softly once or twice and shut the hell up until he flies down.
There are some young hunters who with 1/4th to 1/3rd of the years’ experience I have are far better hunters right now than I will ever be. It’s just a fact of life that some people hit baseballs and golf balls better than anyone else and it shouldn’t be a surprise that some people hunt turkey’s better than others. There is always going to be the unexplainable gift of “knack.” That doesn’t mean they enjoy it any better or more than I do. Turkeybuster is one of those guys with the “knack” who is as good as anyone in a spring woods anywhere and he started when I did, but he learned it a lot better than I have.
Burl would often stand at his back door at dusk which bordered the government land. He would put the turkey to bed. What is old school for some is not old school for others. In fact, the term “old school” is a “new school” term. I first heard it last year when someone saw my bird hunting briar/snake chaps that were camo’d in the tradition of 30 years ago.
If I’m sleeping in a cabin in the woods I’m hunting, I make a point of sitting on the porch at dusk with hope of hearing a fly-up or gobble. If I am at home, the last thing I’ll do again is spend 2-3 hours of my life driving to and sitting in the woods with the hopes of hearing a bird gobble at dusk. I have been there and done that.
It’s been 20 years since I’ve tried to put a bird to bed. Both times were on public land. The most memorable was when I left work early Friday afternoon before opening day to be in a spot that always had birds. I was dressed in camo and walked a woods road about an hour before sunset. A gobble! I plunked my butt down and leaned against the nearest tree. This old Tom was walking the road, gobbling his butt off. He walked within 10’ of me and moseyed off down the road until he got to a branch. I never call scouting and didn’t then. I heard and saw him fly-up and into a tree. I had the tree marked. Next morning I was in the woods within 100 yards. He gobbled at first light and I lightly called. Nothing. I kept my seat long past fly down time, over an hour after I last heard him. I couldn’t stand it any longer. I got up and walked to the tree. The SOB bailed out and is probably still flying for all I know. Now this was opening day. You think he had ever heard a person call and try to stick a gun up his butt before?
A few seasons later, I found a bird at dusk and heard him gobble in an open, mostly dry cypress bottom. I had him marked good. He was no more than 200 yards in. I got a last minute invite on some private land that was loaded with birds. Knowing that the land was public where I had the bird marked and someone would get on him if I wasn’t there, I called a buddy, gave him the map coordinates and compass heading into the bottom with strict instructions not to go more than 80-100 yards into the bottom. Well, my buddy’s ears are burned out from F-4 engine noise in Viet Nam. He heard the bird gobble, went in thinking the bird was farther in, and went exactly 200 yards instead of 80-100 and bumped the bird fly out the tree where I said he was.
The moral of the story is, if “school” is out, and I’m staying in the woods that night, I’ll listen for fly-up or a gobble at dusk. But I’m not leaving my house to do it. I guess I am more old fart than old school.

PS. Old school for guns will be anything without a tactical, pistol grip or thumbhole stock. Pre-old school will be wooden stock, blued metal. Acceptable old school will be plastic stock and forend with camo finish--the 835 for sure. Phasers will be considered new school.
turkeybuster

Post by turkeybuster »

Meet Ole burl in A-5 one day....He and mack were buddies.....There is a guy on here that is Burl,s grandson.....COOL

Return to “Big Bore”