Gas or Inertia?

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Hunt4spurs87

Gas or Inertia?

Post by Hunt4spurs87 »

Wanna purchase a high end do it all shotgun, I’ve heard the benelli kicks like a mule with heavy loads and the recoil is just all around harder. I’m used to a browning gold which to me is relatively soft. I’ve been looking into the new Berettas like the A350 and 400 or the Maxus. Are the benelli that bad any info would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coconut

Re: Gas or Inertia?

Post by coconut »

Have you looked at fabarm?
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Best gun I ever owned is an original SBE.
I personally have never had an issue with the recoil comparison to other 3.5" do it all shotguns.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I owned a Browning Gold Fusion 3" that kicked like a mule when using waterfowl duck and goose loads. I hated it. 28" ported barrel and still rocked me.

Hve shot and owned SuperX2 and it was easier to handle. Maxus should be excellent. But... I have owned 2 SBE's (1 & 2) and would buy them all over again both stolen.. A Maxus 20ga would be fun
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

I love my A391. I think the 3.5s are very manageable. I wouldn’t dare shoot any pump with a 3.5. I think the kick off and the recoil system in my beretta works great.
Swamp Hunter

Post by Swamp Hunter »

I've got a Maxus that I love. I use it for everything from 1 oz dove loads, high velocity steel duck loads, and the big 2.25 oz turkey loads. It makes 2.25 oz turkey loads manageable.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

The older I get, the more I appreciate the lighter recoiling gas guns. Winchester SX3 20 gauge kills turkey and ducks just fine and is a sweet shooter.
I break out the Beretta 390 and some quality ammo if going for geese.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
toasty

Post by toasty »

IMO, there is no difference in recoil between gas and inertia, the recoil just feels a little different and gas can be perceived as being lighter. On inertia guns the recoil cycles the spring and the recoil is a little delayed or spread out over time compared to a gas gun. I have several gas and intertia semi autos and I have never noticed the difference between the two and both are significantly lighter than a pump or single shot. The other advantage of inertia is they are easy to clean and need to be cleaned less often. If I had to choose one gun to keep and shoot, it would be my benelli montefeltro. I am going on to somewhere around 12k rounds of mostly hunting loads in that gun and it just keep on working great.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Since 1991, I've put over 6000 rounds of 3 1/2" duck and goose loads through an H&K/SBE w/ no major malfunctions. The gun is totally stripped down and cleaned after waterfowl season. I personally prefer an inertia shotgun over a gas gun, specially when hunting under damp and extremely cold conditions which has caused jamming and residue build-up w/ gas guns in the past. My SBE has worked flawlessly below -15 when several others in our party with auto gas guns were reduced to essentially single shots. The only real problems which I have ever addressed in any of the inertia shotguns arose from duck hunters who I think, either used their shotgun as a paddle or hung them from trees or slung them on their backs in such a way that the stock was in the water for extended periods resulting in rusting of the stock recoil spring assembly. I've replaced several factory recoil spring assemblys w/ the stainless after-market kits, and I would never buy a used gun from any of the individuals whose guns required such a fix.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I went through the same search last year and bought a 26" Maxus.

I really like it.
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Currently own 3 SBE's My original H&K is my duck gun. It has been used and abused but always cleaned thoroughly after each hunt and fully stripped after each season(including removing the recoil spring from the tube). Never miss fired or failed to cycle. Duck hunting is hard on guns. One morning I fell in the river and slammed the gun down in the water to break my fall. It was so cold when I pulled my hands and the gun from the water my gloves froze immediately to the gun. Figured I was a designated caller at that point. Tore it down, snaked the barrel and put it back together. When the next group set their wings I didn't figure it would fire but it did. That gun or my Winston 4 weight will probably be buried with me.

2gbl
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I just got an Inertia Driven Franchi Affinity compact and cannot believe how much it kicks compared to any of my other shotguns. Highly NOT recommended for a kid! It will have a Limbsaver recoil pad on it very shorty. I'm sure the extremely light weight has something to do with it.. " GAS "
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

About 20 years ago, we were duck hunting on a mucky mud flat and my H&K slide off of the roof of my low profile canvas blind into the mud. I too thought my hunting day was over, but I removed the sling and barrel and sloshed the entire gun back and forth in the lake waters, reassembled and spun it around to remove any water. Gun functioned flawlessly until I got home and totally disassembled and thoroughly cleaned it. The old 3", Remington 1100's were the original "Jamamatics" and frequently discussed as better trot line anchors, rather than duck guns and have driven my bias toward gas operated semi-auto shotguns and, in fairness, not reflective of the current "newer" gas operated guns.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Both are good. Any supposed advantage can be evened up with an upgraded part or backup gun. (Why do people go hunting with just one gun? :dontknow: ) Buy what you like the best, not what you think is theoretically superior.

I wouldn't spend high end money unless I had tried one and knew I liked it.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Okay… I'm a Browning "snob" and am supposed to tell you to purchase a Browning Maxus or Winchester Super X3 (don't even bother with the Super X4)…

… but my answer is: Remington V3 3-inch 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. Soft as a Silver/Gold/Maxus/SuperX3/FN SLP automatic but MUCH easier on the wallet (about $600-700).

Plain Jane and it works without a traditional mainspring in the buttstock (uses self-cleaning gas pistons).

Mark it. I finally recommended a Remington (now that there is something to recommend outside of an 1100)
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

After having our X2s and a ol H&K M1 stolen. We were fortunate to luck into a couple a 300 outlanders for I think 350 a piece when gander went out
I plan on getting sure cycle kits for them, they performed flawlessly last fall, but the kit for the x2 was a great investment. Regardless of brand I had the most reliable gun in field, regardless of conditions. I think you need sloppy advice, get something in that price range and add a sure cycle kit
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm Okay… I'm a Browning "snob" and am supposed to tell you to purchase a Browning Maxus or Winchester Super X3 (don't even bother with the Super X4)…

… but my answer is: Remington V3 3-inch 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. Soft as a Silver/Gold/Maxus/SuperX3/FN SLP automatic but MUCH easier on the wallet (about $600-700).

Plain Jane and it works without a traditional mainspring in the buttstock (uses self-cleaning gas pistons).

Mark it. I finally recommended a Remington (now that there is something to recommend outside of an 1100)
There is hope! maybe in another 10-15 years we will see SloppoMatic plug a Benelli :lol:

Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Gas

Top end: Beretta

All around great gun that’s far behind the Beretta in price, but not far behind in quality: Win SX4
willie

Post by willie »

i have a benelli ultra light i use for light loads and a sx3 and a ithaca 37 for anything heavy ( all in 12 gauge).
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

hoobilly wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:27 pmThere is hope! maybe in another 10-15 years we will see SloppoMatic plug a Benelli :lol:
If Benelli would quit being stupid, they could simply put a longer 24" or 26" or 28" barrel on their M4 gas piston design and effectively copy the V3 for four times the price (and please Benelli... ditch the Mobil choke system already!).

But if you have as much money to spend as turkey hunters like to spend... I guess my fictional Benelli M4 "field shotgun" would be a "good $1,800+ buy." :roll: :lol:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: September 18th, 2018, 10:15 pm
hoobilly wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:27 pmThere is hope! maybe in another 10-15 years we will see SloppoMatic plug a Benelli :lol:
If Benelli would quit being stupid, they could simply put a longer 24" or 26" or 28" barrel on their M4 gas piston design and effectively copy the V3 for four times the price (and please Benelli... ditch the Mobil choke system already!).

But if you have as much money to spend as turkey hunters like to spend... I guess my fictional Benelli M4 "field shotgun" would be a "good $1,800+ buy." :roll: :lol:
There you have it! Sloppys almost advocating a Benelli :LMAO:

KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm Okay… I'm a Browning "snob" and am supposed to tell you to purchase a Browning Maxus or Winchester Super X3 (don't even bother with the Super X4)…

What is so wrong with the SX4 ?
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Replace the comfortech recoil pad with a Limbsaver airtech pad on a SBE 2 and there you go. Recoil for me is not really an issue anymore but IMHO if you go with the 2 and you WILL have to look for one put the aforementioned pad on it and you will have a gun that will run no matter what.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
aristico

Post by aristico »

KyKRAZEE wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:16 pm

I had an sx4 and i thought it was great...
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

aristico wrote: March 4th, 2019, 11:54 pm
KyKRAZEE wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:16 pm

I had an sx4 and i thought it was great...
You said " don't even bother with the super x4" ....that's why I was asking what dont you like about it? I have handled one and it feels like one of the best shouldering shotguns I've handled. I'm just waiting on a 20 gauge .
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER

Return to “Big Bore”