Gas or Inertia?

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
ncturkey

Re: Gas or Inertia?

Post by ncturkey »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm Okay… I'm a Browning "snob" and am supposed to tell you to purchase a Browning Maxus or Winchester Super X3 (don't even bother with the Super X4)…

… but my answer is: Remington V3 3-inch 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. Soft as a Silver/Gold/Maxus/SuperX3/FN SLP automatic but MUCH easier on the wallet (about $600-700).

Plain Jane and it works without a traditional mainspring in the buttstock (uses self-cleaning gas pistons).

Mark it. I finally recommended a Remington (now that there is something to recommend outside of an 1100)
Cool
Mike
CamoMan930

Post by CamoMan930 »

I went through the see process. I have friends that hunt with anything from Browning's to Benelli's. I chose the Franchi Affinity 3.5. It is a inertia gun but they put the recoil spring around the mag tube where I think it should be. I haven't had a problem with mine yet but only time will tell.
aristico

Post by aristico »

I recently bought a stoeger m3500 and finally was able to shoot it this past weekend....shot real nice felt good.....comes with some kind of recoil reducer but dont feel like i need it and would just add unwanted weight......
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Here is the way I see it. For turkey huntin with 12 GAUGE go with a gas gun they seem ( to me ) to have a great deal less recoil than the inertia guns do and since we shoot our turkey guns more like rifles ,I'll take ALL the recoil reduction I can get!!! And since you more than likely ain't gonna encounter freezing rain / sleet / snow or water to make your gun freeze up I cast a second vote for gas.
Now, far as which gas gun to choose ,each person needs to go and handle any model your wallet ( or wife ) will allow you to and that FITS YOU CORRECTLY. My choice would be the Remington V3 compact with the 22" bbl. It comes with stock spacers that allow you to adjust your LOP up to 1" and I'm fairly certain they also come with drop & cast shims and IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK you can find this model for around $630 +/- and it comes all black so you can do whatever dip / cerakote you desire. They also offer the V3 in a variety of other models with longer barrels and camouflage Remington also offers this gun in a turkey pro model that comes with a Truglo optic & headbanger choke tube,22" bbl., oversized charging handle and bolt release button, dipped butt to bore in Realtree Timber camouflage and topped off with the SuperCell recoil pad (which I would have on EVERY gun I own if they would fit) ,and again IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK, this gun can be bought for slightly under $900.
For the world of duck hunting I say do inertia ALL THE WAY. If ya gun does happen to freeze up you won't be shooting a semi-single-shot!!! Seriously though, I feel the most important factor is the fit of a shotgun for YOU and what YOU can afford.
When it comes to 20 gauges my opinion stays basically the same except BIG GREEN has yet to introduce a V3 in 20 gauge but I hope there will be one coming soon. And really now in our niche we have carved out for turkey huntin (especially in the 20 & .410 world) TSS IS the great equalizer so whether you go gas or inertia in a "sub"gauge you can slap a load of TSS in it and now, you're literally LOADED FOR BEAR.....I mean turkey!!!
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
countrylivinnc

Post by countrylivinnc »

I’ve got both and much prefer to shoot my gas guns. I have a Beretta A-400 with kick off and a Mossberg 930. I also have a Franchi Affinity 3.5. The Franchise seems to kick way harder than either of the gas guns. The Beretta is a cream puff even with turkey loads.
dferg0910

Post by dferg0910 »

I have a benelli super black eagle,sx3and beretta a400 with kick the beretta is the best on recoil followed by winchester sx3 then benelli i well never shoot the benelli with 3.5shells again
Kingwoodsman

Post by Kingwoodsman »

I love the Berettas (gas) and have had no problem with light or heavy loads. 12-15 years in on the extrema
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

My a400 is soft shooting and reliable. I use it for waterfowl. The best part is the main spring in the forearm not the buttstock.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

I shot benelli for 30yrs & thought there was no other shotgun even close to them. I've had an SX3 & it was a good gun. Started shooting beretta a-400's & I have one in 20ga & 1 in 28ga. The more I shoot them the more I like them. I don't even shoot my benelli anymore. Sold my m-2 20ga to my b-i-l because he wanted it so bad. Still have a 12ga monte. Benelli makes a fantastic shotgun but Beretta is just as good if not better. It's a toss up between the two! Both reliable! Beretta does seem to kick less due to gas operation vs inertia. You won't go wrong either way. Pick the one that fits you the best & go shoot!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

A400 would be my choice
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Gas. Another vote for Beretta A-400. Love my 12 ga 11-87 for doves, crows, waterfowl, etc - just too heavy for turkey hunting.
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

Not trying to throttle debate, but the OP posed the question in July, 2018. Figuratively, I'm guessing he pulled the trigger a long time ago. :D
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'm going to wait two more years...and then offer up my opinion.
crow

Post by crow »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:22 am I'm going to wait two more years...and then offer up my opinion.

By then it might be a decision on Biden's double barrels ( the gun were supposed to go out on the back deck and shoot it off up in the air to scare away intruders), if it should be single or double trigger.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

crow wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:55 pm
Stinky J Picklestein wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:22 am I'm going to wait two more years...and then offer up my opinion.

By then it might be a decision on Biden's double barrels ( the gun were supposed to go out on the back deck and shoot it off up in the air to scare away intruders), if it should be single or double trigger.
I still laugh at that.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

crow wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:55 pm By then it might be a decision on Biden's double barrels ( the gun were supposed to go out on the back deck and shoot it off up in the air to scare away intruders), if it should be single or double trigger.
I still laugh at that.
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 12:04 pm
crow wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:55 pm By then it might be a decision on Biden's double barrels ( the gun were supposed to go out on the back deck and shoot it off up in the air to scare away intruders), if it should be single or double trigger.
I still laugh at that.
You can say that again!! :thumbleft: :D

Return to “Big Bore”