835 ulti mag

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
bowhunter20

835 ulti mag

Post by bowhunter20 »

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone on here uses an 835 ulti mag with a heavy shot choke and 3-1/2" magnum blend loads? This combination has a good pattern out to 50- 55 yards but is like shooting a rifle at 10-15 yards. Is this good or do I need to change something up? And it kicks like a mule! Lol! Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 835 ulti mag

Post by howl »

2 1/4 ounces at 1200fps is elephant gun territory. Pretty sure you can just body shoot at ten yards with that.

Have you looked at the smallbore section of the forum yet?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bowhunter20 wrote:Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone on here uses an 835 ulti mag with a heavy shot choke and 3-1/2" magnum blend loads? This combination has a good pattern out to 50- 55 yards but is like shooting a rifle at 10-15 yards. Is this good or do I need to change something up? And it kicks like a mule! Lol! Thanks...

With TSS you will get good patterns out to 50 -55 yards and probably well beyond that out of a 20 gauge!!!, I used to hunt with a 11-87 Super Mag but after I started shooting TSS I will probably never carry the 11-87 again.
bowhunter20

Post by bowhunter20 »

turkeyinstrut wrote:
bowhunter20 wrote:Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone on here uses an 835 ulti mag with a heavy shot choke and 3-1/2" magnum blend loads? This combination has a good pattern out to 50- 55 yards but is like shooting a rifle at 10-15 yards. Is this good or do I need to change something up? And it kicks like a mule! Lol! Thanks...

With TSS you will get good patterns out to 50 -55 yards and probably well beyond that out of a 20 gauge!!!, I used to hunt with a 11-87 Super Mag but after I started shooting TSS I will probably never carry the 11-87 again.
im not set up to reload my own shells at this point. Maybe they will start selling some that's already loaded soon . I would love to see what they would do out of my gun! Till then I'll just have to keep shooting the heavy shot magnum blend.

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bowhunter20 wrote:
turkeyinstrut wrote:

im not set up to reload my own shells at this point. Maybe they will start selling some that's already loaded soon . I would love to see what they would do out of my gun! Till then I'll just have to keep shooting the heavy shot magnum blend.

Mag Blends is what my 11-87 favored also, they make a good shell. Getting started loading TSS isn't expensive, you will have about 100.00 in tools and then all you need is the shot (the expensive part....LOL), powder and components and it's very easy and VERY rewarding.
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

I hunt with a similar setup, I LOVE the results. :thumbup: If a bird is in close, aim for the lower neck area, and pray you don't get too many flyers in the breast meat.
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

I shoot an 835 w/ hevi-shot tube and #6's. Added a LIMBSAVER AIR TECH recoil pad which helps some and also a TRU-GLO peep sight which puts me right on target, even as close as 20 yards. Shot one at 18 yards this year....no problem as long as you draw a fine bead.
bowhunter20

Post by bowhunter20 »

fisherxp wrote:I shoot an 835 w/ hevi-shot tube and #6's. Added a LIMBSAVER AIR TECH recoil pad which helps some and also a TRU-GLO peep sight which puts me right on target, even as close as 20 yards. Shot one at 18 yards this year....no problem as long as you draw a fine bead.
I also added a limbsaver recoil pad and a deadringer beard buster sight. I just bought the gun . I haven't got to hunt with it yet season has already ended here in Louisiana. Trying to get it ready for next year.

trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

I shoot sn 835 also bought the first one that they came out with the one with the Nwtf medallion on the stock and old sprayed camo loved it but lost it in a house fire along with all my deer elk moose horns anyways bought the 835 turkey thug adj trigger and 20" barrel love it
bowhunter20

Post by bowhunter20 »

trap4fur wrote:I shoot sn 835 also bought the first one that they came out with the one with the Nwtf medallion on the stock and old sprayed camo loved it but lost it in a house fire along with all my deer elk moose horns anyways bought the 835 turkey thug adj trigger and 20" barrel love it
Image I also got the 20" barrel. What choke and shot are you getting the best pattern with?

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

10-15 yard patterns are going to be tight out of almost any gun and load. Just test it at that distance to see how your point of aim and point of impact match up. As long as you don't flinch, you should only have to do it once. ;) Back when I was shooting an 835 with 3.5" roman candles, I tried not to fire it more than three times per session...before I bought a lead sled, of course.
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

I shoot a rob Roberts choke he also lengthened the forcing cone it shoots a real even pattern 10-20" great hunting pattern
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

I bought an 835 back in 1995--with a 24 inch barrel --when I wanted a 3 1/2 inch gun and Remington wasn't making one yet and I'm still very happy with it. I've dropped back down to 3 inch shells after deciding the 3 1/2 inch were not worth the pounding you get. I'm now shooting Winchester Long Beard's #6's and getting at least 190 holes each shot in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with a Comp-N-Choke. This gun centers its pattern about 8 inches to the right and down some--just using the rib-- so I've always had to put some kind of sights on it. Right now I have a Tru-glo red dot on it.
My 26 inch barrel 870 won't give me 190 holes at 40 yards. I've always shot lead shells. I don't shoot over 40 yards.
Just my two cents.
turkeythumper

Post by turkeythumper »

bowhunter20 wrote:
fisherxp wrote:I shoot an 835 w/ hevi-shot tube and #6's. Added a LIMBSAVER AIR TECH recoil pad which helps some and also a TRU-GLO peep sight which puts me right on target, even as close as 20 yards. Shot one at 18 yards this year....no problem as long as you draw a fine bead.
I also added a limbsaver recoil pad and a deadringer beard buster sight. I just bought the gun . I haven't got to hunt with it yet season has already ended here in Louisiana. Trying to get it ready for next year.

the Hevi choke tube is by far the best that I have shot
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

This is with the turkey choke that comes in the 835. This is very deadly and won't break the bank but it will knock the snot out of you.

Sent from my typewriter
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

bowhunter20 wrote: May 6th, 2017, 12:15 am
trap4fur wrote:I shoot sn 835 also bought the first one that they came out with the one with the Nwtf medallion on the stock and old sprayed camo loved it but lost it in a house fire along with all my deer elk moose horns anyways bought the 835 turkey thug adj trigger and 20" barrel love it
Image I also got the 20" barrel. What choke and shot are you getting the best pattern with?

Sorry I just saw your question I shoot a Hastings flush .725 tss 8.5 2.5oz unreal how good

Return to “Big Bore”