benelli sbe2

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
870 Shooter

benelli sbe2

Post by 870 Shooter »

Does anyone know if the benelli sbe2 has cycling issues with a 3.5" roll crimped shell? Do the hulls need to be trimmed or is it only the 20 gauge m2`s with the issues?
Gunslinger1

Re: benelli sbe2

Post by Gunslinger1 »

I am unable to get any roll crimp trimmed not to come up from the mag into the chamber w 3.5".......and I tried.....meaning I trimmed it as far as I thought I could.

I can load to the barrel and it will cycle.
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I haven't tried any 3.5" rolled crimped shells in my SBE2. It cycles the 3" rolled crimped shells fine. I was told that it would not cycle the 3.5"...
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Shouldn't matter. There is no need for a 3.5" TSS round. You can get all you could possibly need in 3". At least 5 or 6 years ago Hal had a 3" 2 3/16 oz load. I know he has something else newer.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

Johndoe wrote:Shouldn't matter. There is no need for a 3.5" TSS round. You can get all you could possibly need in 3". At least 5 or 6 years ago Hal had a 3" 2 3/16 oz load. I know he has something else newer.
I agree that there is no need for 3.5" TSS. I don't even see a need for a 3" after switching to 20 ga lol
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I'm right with you. How ever some still want big payloads. I know there are 2oz 2 3/4" loads and heavier 3" loads. When you go to 3,5" there has to be too much crap in the hull and wad to really want to deal with. If I recall a 3" wad will hold over 3oz of TSS and 3 1/2" wad will hold almost 4oz. This means a whole lot of cushion and such in the wad. Also gas seals.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
870 Shooter

Post by 870 Shooter »

You don't need anything other than a moped to get back and forth to work....Everyone agrees to disagree. I was just wondering if they would cycle from the magazine to the chamber and how much to trim. How much money one should waste on shooting turkeys should be solely up to himself.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

870 shooter I've loaded a 3.5" Fiocchi load rolled crimp and they will not fit into the magazine tube of my Browning Gold Hunter. One will feed into the chamber. I have not shot one yet but will soon. I didn't trim hull. Planning on 3.5" in chamber and 3" in tube. I've been loading 12ga 3" 2oz and they're great loads.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

870 Shooter wrote:You don't need anything other than a moped to get back and forth to work....Everyone agrees to disagree. I was just wondering if they would cycle from the magazine to the chamber and how much to trim. How much money one should waste on shooting turkeys should be solely up to himself.
I'm with you. I was just sayin that there is so much crap to deal with in a 3.5" shell it Just isn't something folks are doin much of. Like I said. 3.5" hulls need tons of filler wads to fill the hull and or wad. I can assure you, I don't care what you shoot. Just offering advice.

What's up with that
870 Shooter

Post by 870 Shooter »

kythunter wrote:870 shooter I've loaded a 3.5" Fiocchi load rolled crimp and they will not fit into the magazine tube of my Browning Gold Hunter. One will feed into the chamber. I have not shot one yet but will soon. I didn't trim hull. Planning on 3.5" in chamber and 3" in tube. I've been loading 12ga 3" 2oz and they're great loads.

10-4. Only one way to find out. Just something about that roll crimp I guess. I have a BP roll crimper as well and it leaves a flat spot on the end of all the hulls. Probably a main issue there. I've talked to people that fold crimp them and they dont have an issue.
870 Shooter

Post by 870 Shooter »

Johndoe wrote:
870 Shooter wrote:You don't need anything other than a moped to get back and forth to work....Everyone agrees to disagree. I was just wondering if they would cycle from the magazine to the chamber and how much to trim. How much money one should waste on shooting turkeys should be solely up to himself.
I'm with you. I was just sayin that there is so much crap to deal with in a 3.5" shell it Just isn't something folks are doin much of. Like I said. 3.5" hulls need tons of filler wads to fill the hull and or wad. I can assure you, I don't care what you shoot. Just offering advice.

Some states only allow minimum of 7 shot size. I know you can write a 6 on the end of any hull but I know the way my luck runs...and that's not usually on the good side. Hell, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all. I'll take the extra half ounce of pellets over the 2oz load. Just because is enough reason for me.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

I've heard it could possibly have issues with the 3.5" coming from the magazine tube into the action. The first shot should be fine though. You could always back the 3.5" up with a 3" load. I load the 3" 2.25 oz. load for my SBE 2.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I have trimmed some 3.5 hulls 1/4" then roll crimp. They load fine. I started fold crimping all my 3in 20ga loads when I got my M2. A fold crimp 3.5 should work fine in a SBE2.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I have not had much to do with the 12s but I dont understand why it would not work. If the shell is the same as the normal shell only think it could be is the weight of the shell. Now I have seen on some guns that have had trouble with normal loads to clean the mag tube. Sounds stupid but it works. Also have shim the spring so it will shove the shell out.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

A roll crimped load has the tendency to be longer than a fold crimped load. The length is the issue.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

01Foreman400 wrote:A roll crimped load has the tendency to be longer than a fold crimped load. The length is the issue.
This is correct. In my M2 20ga a 3in roll crimp will not feed out of the magazine into the barrel. The same load fold crimped on a MEC 600jr feeds perfectly. In my SBE2, I have slightly trimmed some 3.5 Fed hulls. Since my 12ga press won't fold crimp 3.5"rounds. If I was serious about shooting 3.5" TSS loads out of my SBE2, I would find a MEC steelmaster press and fold crimp them.
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Turkinator wrote:
01Foreman400 wrote:A roll crimped load has the tendency to be longer than a fold crimped load. The length is the issue.
This is correct. In my M2 20ga a 3in roll crimp will not feed out of the magazine into the barrel. The same load fold crimped on a MEC 600jr feeds perfectly. In my SBE2, I have slightly trimmed some 3.5 Fed hulls. Since my 12ga press won't fold crimp 3.5"rounds. If I was serious about shooting 3.5" TSS loads out of my SBE2, I would find a MEC steelmaster press and fold crimp them.
I have a MEC steel master for the 3.5" and i use it for duck shells, but for the turkey loads with buffer, I find myself using my roll crimp, trimming 1/8" off the top, and rolling the 3.5" load just because of the buffer and knowing its not going to leak around my fold crimp. And yes SBE2 with 3.5" roll crimp without trim is too long. Trim 1/8" and make sure to pack down all the payload with a dowel or end of a piece of brass, and you will be good to go. :thumbup:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Precision "tight seal" Is a real thin disc that goes under the crimp and seals the buffer in. I also use the Elmer glue and fingernail polish when loading Tommy's Devastater load for a 12ga
Brandon Martin

Post by Brandon Martin »

Trim 1/8 in off and then pack everything as tightly as possible. Also use the paper overshot cards as they are thinner than the plastic. A gaep roll crimp also helps and looks better
Gunslinger1

Post by Gunslinger1 »

NO and I tried.............trimmed off more than I should have for a minimal roll with no luck. As stated before they will not come up from the bottom......they hang. They will cycle from the barrel.

Please let us know if you figure out a way for it to work. I was going to try a fold crimp but haven't yet.
Bird Buster

Post by Bird Buster »

Mine will eject them out of the action but will hang up feeding new shell out of the magazine tube
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

I had hang ups in both my SBEII's with a roll crimp and fold crimp. Had some cycle and some jam. I couldn't trust the guns not to jam so I went to a 3" 2 oz load and not one problem after that. I sold my first SBEII and just recently sold the second one. Time for a different semi 12.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

yelpy wrote:I had hang ups in both my SBEII's with a roll crimp and fold crimp. Had some cycle and some jam. I couldn't trust the guns not to jam so I went to a 3" 2 oz load and not one problem after that. I sold my first SBEII and just recently sold the second one. Time for a different semi 12.
Why didn't you just load the 3" 2.25 oz.?
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

yelpy wrote:I had hang ups in both my SBEII's with a roll crimp and fold crimp. Had some cycle and some jam. I couldn't trust the guns not to jam so I went to a 3" 2 oz load and not one problem after that. I sold my first SBEII and just recently sold the second one. Time for a different semi 12.
Why didn't you just load the 3" 2.25 oz.?
Gunslinger1

Post by Gunslinger1 »

Why didn't you just load the 3" 2.25 oz.?[/quote]

Does the 2.25 oz load put up better numbers for you than a 2 oz load?

Return to “Big Bore”